ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking of B1G Coaching Jobs

I thought the commentary was pragmatic, and fairly accurate.
I guess I took exception to Rutgers having a higher upside than NU. Camden, NJ is a crap hole and Greg Schiano did not prove more about Rutger's potential than the combined Barnett-Walker-Fitzgerald eras have proven about NU.

I guess I took exception to Rutgers having a higher upside than NU. Camden, NJ is a crap hole and Greg Schiano did not prove more about Rutger's potential than the combined Barnett-Walker-Fitzgerald eras have proven about NU.

I agree about the crap hole, but State Schools like Rutgers should have a higher upside. They're State Schools. They don't have to rely on endowments and tuition. Their entrance and performance standards are, by design, lower.

Plus, they can operate on tax revenues. On second thought.

Huh.

While Rutgers does have a satellite campus in Camden, which I agree is a crap hole, the main campus is 67 miles up the road in Piscataway, across the Raritan River from New Brunswick. Not the prettiest campus town in the Big 10 but not a crap hole either. Like Purdue, they have an 18 hole golf course right on campus, which is pretty cool. You can see the football practice bubble and stadium in the distance:

slide2.jpg

Schiano inherited a program in the same shape as Barnett did, and led them to 5 bowl wins against just 1 loss in his last 7 seasons. His best season was 11-2, and they finished 12th in the AP poll. Rutgers' academics aren't NU standards and the school is in the middle of a huge recruiting area, dominated right now by PSU, Michigan, MD and ND. They draw much better than NU does in a better stadium. I don't think NU has the upside that RU does.

Last edited:
Huh.

While Rutgers does have a satellite campus in Camden, which I agree is a crap hole, the main campus is 67 miles up the road in Piscataway, across the Raritan River from New Brunswick. Not the prettiest campus town in the Big 10 but not a crap hole either. Like Purdue, they have an 18 hole golf course right on campus, which is pretty cool. You can see the football practice bubble and stadium in the distance:

slide2.jpg

Schiano inherited a program in the same shape as Barnett did, and led them to 5 bowl wins against just 1 loss in his last 7 seasons. His best season was 11-2, and they finished 12th in the AP poll. Rutgers' academics aren't NU standards and the school is in the middle of a huge recruiting area, dominated right now by PSU, Michigan, MD and ND. They draw much better than NU does in a better stadium. I don't think NU has the upside that RU does.
Schiano left and Rutgers plummeted back down.

Barnett left and Walker came in followed by Fitzgerald. 21 years of being reasonably competitive in the B1G. That speaks to an athletic department and a university's commitment rather than just to the abilities of a single coach. A football coach has not been fired at NU in about 25 years. The stadium is old but everything else is new or under construction. I go with NU as the better job with the higher upside.

Schiano left and Rutgers plummeted back down.

Flood went 9-4, 6-7, 8-5 and 4-8 after Schiano, winning 1 out of 3 bowl games. I'd hardly call that "plummeting". For comparison, the last 4 years NU has been 7-6, 10-3, 5-7 and 5-7, with 1 bowl in in 2 appearances. Meh.

Probably a better argument for a higher ceiling for NU is that the Cats play in the Big 10 West, and RU plays in the East with OSU, PSU and UM. Hard to see them being competitive year in and year out having to play those 3 every season.

The label of "potential" is the kiss of death. Rutgers is Exhibit 1.

Less "inflammatory" and more "true."
The article to me goes along with the idea that Fitz has taken the program as high as it can go. And yes, I am a proud pollyanna (or whatever our word for that is this year). But with NUs location in Evanston (family quality of life), the coaching salary which is competitive, the tendency of the ADs at NU to give a coach every reasonable chance to get his program installed and running (25 years since our last football HC firing), and the new facilities, I believe that from a coach's viewpoint this is not 12th in the B1G in terms of desirability.

The focus on academics is probably seen by some as a mild negative.

The stadium's age, location, and condition is also something of a negative.

But the only major negative that I see is the fan support. With 21 consecutive years of competitiveness, I fear that it could be discerned that our fan support just is what it is. Which, in turn, impacts a coach's opportunities for secondary income streams. If that is a primary consideration in this list, then I concede the point. But looking at all of the factors in a coach's decision, NU moves up.

Wonder how Stanford rates in PAC by same criteria? Most jobs are what you make of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT