ADVERTISEMENT

Re-watched 1995 Michigan game last night

phatcat

Nov 5, 2001
Wisconsin
Note that I was AT this game in 95. I've often said it is the most fun I've ever had outdoors. 26 years later - my comments:

How the heck did we win this game? Kicking and coaching, I suppose. They missed a FG and we didn't. Their coach stopped giving the ball to Tim B, who we simply couldn't tackle, and felt he had to balance the offense by having a then-horrible Brian Griese contribute. Thanks, Lloyd. NB - he learned his lesson, which helped him v dOSU

There seemed to be a similar number of breaks - each recovered own fumble, small handful of penalties. Critical holding for them that called back a TD.

Looking back, you can see that Barney influenced Fitz, and the current teams are/attempt to play like that one. Ball control, shorten the game, few mistakes, rope-a-dope, bend-don't-break, next man up (Hamdorf).

Other notes - great seeing that old team again. Bates was a man among boys, but the other receivers contributed here and there. MRCat with a tuft of turf in his facemask after a TFL. Ismaeli was everywhere. DA1 rubbing their nose in it with a long run for a late first down instead of giving them yet another chance. Matt Hartl scooping up that low TD pass. I was in the opposite endzone, standing and screaming like a maniac amongst a throng of seated/silent blue fans. My 4 and 6 year olds groveling around under blankets to stay warm. After the game, I bought a 2'x3' N flag and waved it all the way to the car.

We've won a lot of games since then, including 3 others against MichiGag, but the 95 game, in A2, MI, was the best. Probably because I despise them, even more than Notre Dumb. Even though we were obviously good, I had no illusions that we'd somehow sneak out of there with a W. I really REALLY want us to knock of dOSU in a CCG, win an NC, etc., but they will hardly be sweeter than this one.

I am quite convinced that those whippersnappers in Ann Arbor wake up every fall Saturday after a night of seeking mates at various fern bars, stand up, and have a horse shoe fall from their arse into their maize and blue PJs. At least when facing us.

Last edited:
The first pass of the game to Bates was one he didn't catch and some announcer ragged on him! Think he was being guarded by Woodson and Woodson may have touched it - regardless, so laughable because Bates spent his career catching nearly everything in his area code. Later he made a near-impossible catch as Woodson tried for the int, but the praise was faint. Thought Dreisbach (sp?) was the UM QB, and when Fitz nailed him on a blitz, Griese and Brady played catch on the sidelines. Agree completely on the Biakabatuka point - what a barrrruuuuute. Played 6 years for Carolina, but never looked anything like he did in college. What a team NU had - was fun to remember all the stars as their names were called. Chris Martin had a nice game.

Last edited:
The first pass of the game to Bates was one he didn't catch and some announcer ragged on him! Think he was being guarded by Woodson and Woodson may have touched it - regardless, so laughable because Bates spent his career catching nearly everything in his area code. Later he made a near-impossible catch as Woodson tried for the int, but the praise was faint. Thought Dreisbach (sp?) was the UM QB, and when Fitz nailed him on a blitz, Griese and Brady were played catch on the sidelines. Agree completely on the Biakabatuka point - what a barrrruuuuute. Played 6 years for Carolina, but never looked anything like he did in college. What a team NU had - was fun to remember all the stars as their names were called. Chris Martin had a nice game.
Imagine Bates in a Texas Tech offense against Big 12 defenses...
It was impossible to utilize him totally in Barnett's offense. It would be like living in Buffalo and having a Lambo in your garage.

At least Austin Carr had the "Thorson throw it up in the air and let Austin beat the guy to the ball" play.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Rewatched the 2000 game, too, 54 - 51 for NU. That was the game where Damien Anderson rushed for some 260 AND he dropped the go-ahead, wide open TD pass very late in the game. It looked like it was all over until the A-train fumbled as UM was running out the clock. NU then scored the winning TD and got a 2-point conversion. The game ended with UM attempting a 57 yd. FG which failed. Kustok had a great arm. NU was down by down by two scores a couple times. There have been a few incredible Ws over the Jurassic skunks, but that's me own personal favorite.

Reactions: No Chores
Rewatched the 2000 game, too, 54 - 51 for NU. That was the game where Damien Anderson rushed for some 260 AND he dropped the go-ahead, wide open TD pass very late in the game. It looked like it was all over until the A-train fumbled as UM was running out the clock. NU then scored the winning TD and got a 2-point conversion. The game ended with UM attempting a 57 yd. FG which failed. Kustok had a great arm. NU was down by down by two scores a couple times. There have been a few incredible Ws over the Jurassic skunks, but that's me own personal favorite.

You're underselling the 57-yard field goal that "failed," as the snap accidentally went right to the kicker, who managed to get a pass off. Given how nutso the last five minutes of that game was, I'm surprised UM didn't somehow get a TD there.

The 1995 game...every time I see Hartl catch that past it gets really dusty where I am.

Last edited:

The "Jurassic Skunks". As a fellow loather of Michiscum, that's great. Love that... even tho as a nature lover I truly admire wolverines. They are awesome wild animals, and I would not want to tangle with one. Glades can correct me if I'm wrong, but I am quite sure the entire North American wild population of wolverines cannot stand being associated with Michiscum.

Also, I know you know this, Fig, but I feel I have to point out that A-Train (who became one of my favorite players for the Beloved Bear) didn't just fumble... Sean Wieber made him fumble by somehow, in a milli-second as Thomas sprinted by, getting his hand right on the ball and jarring it loose, a truly great play. I still don't know how he did it. I gotta give a shout to a walk on who made himself into a regular, and because of that play, we'll remember forever.

The "Jurassic Skunks". As a fellow loather of Michiscum, that's great. Love that... even tho as a nature lover I truly admire wolverines. They are awesome wild animals, and I would not want to tangle with one. Glades can correct me if I'm wrong, but I am quite sure the entire North American wild population of wolverines cannot stand being associated with Michiscum.

Also, I know you know this, Fig, but I feel I have to point out that A-Train (who became one of my favorite players for the Beloved Bear) didn't just fumble... Sean Wieber made him fumble by somehow, in a milli-second as Thomas sprinted by, getting his hand right on the ball and jarring it loose, a truly great play. I still don't know how he did it. I gotta give a shout to a walk on who made himself into a regular, and because of that play, we'll remember forever.
Like Jack Mitchell - Sean Wieber will never buy a beer in a bar as long as I am there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT