ADVERTISEMENT

READ THIS: Fitz defends going after other schools' commits

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
I made this free because it's been a hot topic on the boards for a while...

CHICAGO-Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald is comfortable about the way he went after and landed three commits from other schools in this class.

No second thoughts

Wow, never thought that would happen from him. I mean seriously. You compare it to a marriage and then say your upfront about it and you go to their coach ect. If you want to compare it to a marriage that is like saying when you want to have an extramarital affair, you going to the father of the girl and talk to him about how you are going to go after his married daughter while she's still married. And then going to the husband and telling him you are going after his wife after you got the Fathers ok. Even if the father gave the ok, wouldn't it still be called adultery? Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with teams doing this, just don't try use the marriage term when it comes to your program.

This post was edited on 2/7 7:43 AM by hit24/7

Originally posted by hit24/7:

Wow, never thought that would happen from him. I mean seriously. You compare it to a marriage and then say your upfront about it and you go to their coach ect. If you want to compare it to a marriage that is like saying when you want to have an extramarital affair, you going to the father of the girl and talk to him about how you are going to go after his married daughter while she's still married. And then going to the husband and telling him you are going after his wife after you got the Fathers ok. Even if the father gave the ok, wouldn't it still be called adultery? Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with teams doing this, just don't try use the marriage term when it comes to your program.

This post was edited on 2/7 7:43 AM by hit24/7
Not married! Engaged! A verbal committment is like an engagement.

Coach Fitz is the one who has used the word marriage when talking about commitments, not me. Like I said, I'm ok with teams doing.

Originally posted by hit24/7:
Coach Fitz is the one who has used the word marriage when talking about commitments, not me. Like I said, I'm ok with teams doing.
But he means entering into engagement before marriage. The verbal is announcing you're engaged to be married. I would think that's obvious.

Well either way you look at it, he has always thought the engagement was enough to be broken off if a player who gave a oral even decided to talk or visit another college. Listen have I don't have a problem with schools who are doing this, but Coach is NU graduate, if he meant engagement I would think he would have said engagement. We all know that if one of our commits in the past would have opened their home to a visit from another coach after they gave NU their oral, that offer, "marriage" or if you want to think he meant engagement, would be called off.

This post was edited on 2/8 4:25 PM by hit24/7

It's "engagement". Trust me, Fitz misspoke. Marriage refers to actually signing the LOI.

What gets me about Fitz's rules about recruits who haven't made up their minds is that he himself had real trouble making up his mind to come to NU and was the last player to verbal to Barnett in 1993. Apparently now he says he will not necessarily stop recruiting that player if they do make a visit.

I think Fitz is finally starting to realize that his rules train has left the station and he'd better catch another one. There's not much use in abiding by a set of rules that no one else is using, especially when you're coming off a couple of 5-7 seasons.

The old gentlemen's agreement in the BT is long gone. It has been gone longer in other conferences. Fans think that when a kid flips to their team, he has made a wise choice. When one of fans' school has a kid flip to another school, the kid has low character and hasn't been taught to keep commitments growing up. It's all point of view. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT