ADVERTISEMENT

Recruit question

SchizoCat1

Dec 1, 2004
Are we pursuing Ricky Smalling of Chicago Brother Rice (my alma mater)? I just read on the Illini board that they are after him along with Wisconsin and Minnesota.

I watched him in a few HS playoff games on TV and he's pretty good.

Are we pursuing Ricky Smalling of Chicago Brother Rice (my alma mater)? I just read on the Illini board that they are after him along with Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Academics.

And yet he has offers from Illinois, Wisconsin, Virginia, and Minnesota
While all are good schools, I believe Illinois, Wiscy, or Minnesota main academic criteria are that the athlete looks like a student when sitting at a desk. Wiscy may be a bit more stringent.

I am not saying he is a bad student and therefore it is not surprising that he has offers from those schools. Hopefully I am not shocking anybody by saying that our academic requirements for football players, while much lower than the general NU student population, are still higher than pretty much every other P5 football program out there.

I am not saying he is a bad student and therefore it is not surprising that he has offers from those schools. Hopefully I am not shocking anybody by saying that our academic requirements for football players, while much lower than the general NU student population, are still higher than pretty much every other P5 football program out there.

Excepting Stanford I would say. Hell, we have a ton of players who couldn't get into Stanford but ended up at NU... (the latter part of this post said with some sarcasm)

Excepting Stanford I would say. Hell, we have a ton of players who couldn't get into Stanford but ended up at NU... (the latter part of this post said with some sarcasm)

It's hard to get a feel for Stanford's actual requirements, considering they largely hide behind them.

Reactions: seavue617
It's hard to get a feel for Stanford's actual requirements, considering they largely hide behind them.

Except to say that for the average student, Stanford's admission requirements or at least their selectivity rates are indeed quite a bit higher than NU's.

Except to say that for the average student, Stanford's admission requirements or at least their selectivity rates are indeed quite a bit higher than NU's.

Which has little to no impact on Stanford's admission criteria for football players, which appear to be "flexible" at best.

Which has little to no impact on Stanford's admission criteria for football players, which appear to be "flexible" at best.
I wouldn't mind if we were just a little it flexible. One coaches discretion per year.

Why not 2? How about 3, 4 5? Where do you want it to end?

I want it to end at one.

My understanding is that there is some minimum standard of grades and test scores and perhaps some occasional extracurricular skill beyond football that allows a football player to be admitted to NU. I understand that it is already a lower threshold than is required for "normal" students.
I'm sure it is more complex than that but generally that is my impression of how it goes.
I think Fitz is fairly happy with the arrangement. I don't think he wants his guys to struggle or fail academically. He seems to work with and respect the system.
I would like it if Fitz could have one free pass a class to say, "I think you are wrong about this guy and he is worth the risk." The current graduation rate indicates to me that things are going pretty well and the system in place to help student athletes is successful.
Maybe this already happens behind the scenes but board conversations, which are all I have access to, indicate to the contrary.

I want it to end at one.

My understanding is that there is some minimum standard of grades and test scores and perhaps some occasional extracurricular skill beyond football that allows a football player to be admitted to NU. I understand that it is already a lower threshold than is required for "normal" students.
I'm sure it is more complex than that but generally that is my impression of how it goes.
I think Fitz is fairly happy with the arrangement. I don't think he wants his guys to struggle or fail academically. He seems to work with and respect the system.
I would like it if Fitz could have one free pass a class to say, "I think you are wrong about this guy and he is worth the risk." The current graduation rate indicates to me that things are going pretty well and the system in place to help student athletes is successful.
Maybe this already happens behind the scenes but board conversations, which are all I have access to, indicate to the contrary.
It does not end at one, although they don't take kids that they don't believe will be able to get through school. Getting the actual number is like asking anything else about the program that is confidential.

It does not end at one, although they don't take kids that they don't believe will be able to get through school. Getting the actual number is like asking anything else about the program that is confidential.
Well, I'm just as happy that there be more exceptions but I don't want standards to slip and I don't want Fitz wasting too much time evaluating kids from an academic perspective. I assume that admissions has real talent in that way just as I assume the coaches can spot taken on the field. What I do hope for is that when there is a player who would add significant value to the football program, I hope that the coaches who know the actual person and have met family and coaches could occasionally override the already relaxed standard and give the kid a chance.

Well, I'm just as happy that there be more exceptions but I don't want standards to slip and I don't want Fitz wasting too much time evaluating kids from an academic perspective. I assume that admissions has real talent in that way just as I assume the coaches can spot taken on the field. What I do hope for is that when there is a player who would add significant value to the football program, I hope that the coaches who know the actual person and have met family and coaches could occasionally override the already relaxed standard and give the kid a chance.
It is less letting standards slip than it is giving kids who are bright and otherwise wouldn't have an opportunity to attend NU, because of very disadvantageous circumstances, to play football at NU and get a great education as well. There have been a couple great success stories.

Reactions: rmndcat

FYI he just committed to Illinois

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT