ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting and Academics

ajr938

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2013
With the latest loss of a recruit due to academics, it has made me ponder the academic restrictions of NU. I would rather lose with good character people than win with bad apples. However losing a recruit who has good SAT scores and grades, but their class rank is not high enough does not make any sense. NU and all elite level academic institutions are extremely difficult to get into these days. While there are some brilliant people that can excel on the field and in the classroom, it is extremely rare. I would be happy with having athletes that value an education and are going take school seriously even if their qualifications are borderline. Coach K made a career of taking guys that probably could not get into Duke if they were not basketball players. Heck one of his former players thinks the earth is flat. Duke has not suffered because they relaxed their academic standards for their basketball program. I am sure Duke's endowment went up exponentially during Coach K's time. I would be in favor of giving our coaches more latitude to get players in. What someone's SAT score is and high school grades is not the sole predictor of how a person is going to turn out. Maybe the trend of eliminating standardized test will help us in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News