ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting notes and nuggets

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Here are a few notes I've accumulated over the last few days regarding some of Northwestern's 2018 prospects....

Northwestern still in the picture for Patterson: Quincy Patterson of Chicago Solario Academy would still like to play quarterback at the next level. But he’s still very interested in Northwestern, even though the Wildcats offered him as a superback.

“Yes!” he stated emphatically via DM when asked if he was still interested in Northwestern despite the position dilemma. “They have a wonderful institution!”

The three-star prospect said that superbacks coach Bob Heffner traveled to the South Side to see him last Wednesday. He reports that he has also been in contact with the staff “consistently.”

Patterson said that the Wildcats are “basically” the only school recruiting him for a position other than quarterback. “I've had schools talk to me about other positions but also say they want to see me throw.”

The dynamic 6-foot-3, 220-pounder is now up to 15 offers. He plans to visit Northwestern for a spring practice.

Kaiser still a slam dunk? Brian Kaiser of nearby New Trier seemed like a sure thing for Northwestern’s Class of 2018. His father, former Wildcat linebacker Steve Kaiser, is still involved with the program, he’s been going to Wildcat games since he was a kid, and he teared up when he picked up an offer at an NU bowl practice last month. It seemed like Kaiser was primed to be one of Northwestern’s first commits.

But the 6-foot-7, 210-pound superback prospect doesn’t seem to be on the verge of pulling the trigger anytime soon.

“Just trying to set up a date to see a NU spring practice and talk with their academic advisors,” he said when asked if there was any news about his recruiting.

His NU offer in pocket, don’t expect any decision from Kaiser until spring at the earliest. He also holds an offer from Iowa State and has interest from Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Iowa, Arkansas and Pittsburgh.

Northwestern still pursuing Cohill: Northwestern long ago identified Dwayne Cohill as an heir apparent to Bryant McIntosh and offered him last April, when he was a sophomore. Nine months later and the Wildcats are still in hot pursuit of the 2018 four-star guard from Cleveland (Ohio) Holy Name.

“Yes they are still in the picture and still recruiting me. They were in to see me a few weeks ago,” said the 6-foot-4 standout who is ranked as the No. 66 player in the country.

Cohill is now up to 15 offers, including Ohio State, Penn State, Vanderbilt, West Virginia, Xavier and DePaul.

WildcatReport will talk to Cohill tonight. Look for a story soon.

Cats may have uphill climb for Sanborn: Three-star linebacker Jack Sanborn of Lake Zurich said that Wisconsin “checks all the boxes” in this latest update from Rivals’ Josh Hemholdt. He also talks about his desire to visit Duke and how Ohio State was his favorite team growing up, something he’s talked about in previous stories.

But the 6-foot-2, 210-pounder doesn't mention Northwestern, even though he visited Evanston for a game this fall. In fact, he hasn't mentioned the Wildcats in any Rivals updates in quite some time.

Maybe that means something, maybe it doesn't, but we'll find out soon enough: Sanborn says he plans to narrow his list by the end of February. We’ll see if Northwestern’s name is on it.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News