ADVERTISEMENT

Rejoice

Was anyone really concerned about BB remaining in the draft? Probably just one guy who I won’t mention. He can be somewhat sensitive.

probably 1 in a million chance Barnhizer stayed in - so yeah, something to lose sleep over.

The rumored 300k in NIL probably helped him with his "decision."

There's also a lot that can happen between now and the end of his NBA viability. I don't think even the biggest Reggie Hearn fans thought he'd play in the NBA while he was at NU.

I'm not gonna go there.

To me, Barnhizer is a better basketball player overall than Chase Audige, who made it into the G-League.
Pete Nance has some NBA earnings.
You never know.
Or, more correctly, I never know.
On one of the B1G broadcasts, the announcer said that a conference coach told him Barnhizer would play in the NBA. I was surprised. He will go as far as his defense and 3-point shooting can take him.

On one of the B1G broadcasts, the announcer said that a conference coach told him Barnhizer would play in the NBA. I was surprised. He will go as far as his defense and 3-point shooting can take him.

I think it was Hummel. I remember hearing the same thing and started thinking about it more. He is a three-level scorer with good athleticism and often played out of position (at least for his pro prospects) as a 4. Can he improve his defense and be a consistent first option without Boo carrying most of the burden? If so, it's not crazy to think he could get a chance in the league.

I think it was Hummel. I remember hearing the same thing and started thinking about it more. He is a three-level scorer with good athleticism and often played out of position (at least for his pro prospects) as a 4. Can he improve his defense and be a consistent first option without Boo carrying most of the burden? If so, it's not crazy to think he could get a chance in the league.
Yeah I think the biggest questions / areas of improvement are (i) consistency of 3 point shooting - can be improved with practice one would think, (ii) quickness of foot speed on defense to prevent explosive guards from beating him off the dribble.

I suspect Brooks wanted to give it a run to go through the preliminary evaluation process and see what feedback he got. Seems totally reasonable. Excited to have him back and hope he can use 1 more year at NU to improve his draft prospects and get a shot as a pro!

Go Cats

The one thing Barney really has going for him is length. He has NBA prospect length and strength. I question his shooting consistency and other tools as they stand, but it’s never shocking if a good three level scorer like Brooks takes his shooting to a new level late in his college career and he has the size at least to hang in the league defensively. I wouldn’t call it insane, I bet he got some good feedback from NBA scouts. Shooting can improve, you can’t teach length.

Even still, my “rejoicing” over this is limited to a half hearted Monty Python cartoon “huzzah.” This was never in doubt this year.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I'm not gonna go there.

To me, Barnhizer is a better basketball player overall than Chase Audige, who made it into the G-League.
Pete Nance has some NBA earnings.
You never know.
Or, more correctly, I never know.
I think BBs game translates to Europe better. That said, I’ll be rooting for him to play in the nba

Yeah I think the biggest questions / areas of improvement are (i) consistency of 3 point shooting - can be improved with practice one would think, (ii) quickness of foot speed on defense to prevent explosive guards from beating him off the dribble.

I suspect Brooks wanted to give it a run to go through the preliminary evaluation process and see what feedback he got. Seems totally reasonable. Excited to have him back and hope he can use 1 more year at NU to improve his draft prospects and get a shot as a pro!

Go Cats
Keep playing hard.
Shoot more consistently.
Gain some quickness, because you’ll be a 2 or a 3.

Barnhizer is an excellent player. I’m excited for him to be a vocal leader and to get a bit more time handling the rock this season. He indisputably The Guy this season in the same way Boo was entering last year.

Keep playing hard.
Shoot more consistently.
Gain some quickness, because you’ll be a 2 or a 3.

Barnhizer is an excellent player. I’m excited for him to be a vocal leader and to get a bit more time handling the rock this season. He indisputably The Guy this season in the same way Boo was entering last year.
His model is Christian Braun of the Nuggets. Very similar players.

I wonder who the conference coach was...

But if the announcer was Hummel, I'm listening.

Personally, I see Brooks being good at a lot of things, but not great at any specific thing.
So to me that adds up to a really good / great college player.

Does that attract NBA interest? It usually helps to be able to jump out of the gym...

On the other hand, people said the same thing about UCLA's Jaime Jaquez - and he started 20 games for the Heat as a rookie.
Jaquez a little bigger and stronger than Barnhizer. Similar motors, similar attitudes. Both tough.

Reactions: NJCat
I wonder who the conference coach was...

But if the announcer was Hummel, I'm listening.

Personally, I see Brooks being good at a lot of things, but not great at any specific thing.
So to me that adds up to a really good / great college player.

Does that attract NBA interest? It usually helps to be able to jump out of the gym...

On the other hand, people said the same thing about UCLA's Jaime Jaquez - and he started 20 games for the Heat as a rookie.
Jaquez a little bigger and stronger than Barnhizer. Similar motors, similar attitudes. Both tough.
I think when Barnhizer was matched up against Arizona State’s point guard on defense and did a great job and his ability to get rebounds, he showed some potential. I thought he could have done better later in the season after the injuries to others, but he kind of leveled off. Hopefully with NBA feedback and some off-season improvements, he can take the next step and show great progress. He has a long way to go to actually make the NBA, but (as someone said) his length is pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT