ADVERTISEMENT

REMEMBER IOWA

I absolutely have scars (and liver damage) from the cats losing at Iowa in 2000. The worst buzzkill of my life

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
Geezus, must be awful to be so scarred as a fan base. If we want some respect, start with fans showing some faith.

I think the phrase you’re looking for is:

EXPECT VICTORY.

This was exactly the mindset Barnett fought to overcome upon his arrival to Evanston. Seems like we are still battling it to a certain extent today. Let’s not get cocky; let’s not look past the game at hand; let’s take care of business one game at a time. Go 1-0. Expect to win.

We're 13.5 point favorites for a reason. But the games have to be played. Just have to go out there and prove it each week.

As a fan, this is as good as it gets. Enjoy the ride as long as it goes.

NU is winning the West. If they lose before OSU, they probably have zero chance in B1G title game. If NU wins the 3 before the B1G championships, they still will be huge dogs. NU is playing OSU as everyone else has 2 losses. The question is will more than a big title be on the line in that game.

NU is winning the West. If they lose before OSU, they probably have zero chance in B1G title game. If NU wins the 3 before the B1G championships, they still will be huge dogs. NU is playing OSU as everyone else has 2 losses. The question is will more than a big title be on the line in that game.
We technically have to win at least 1 to clinch the West, right? Based on this year’s rules I believe only Iowa could come out ahead if they (play and) win their last 3 and we were somehow to lose our last 2 (assuming we won’t be able to play Minny).
This sets up pretty well I think - with the team knowing a win at MSU clinches the west, I think they will avoid a letdown after last week’s big win. I also think this team is less prone to such letdowns due to leadership.
Then we would get a bye week to work on the Spivak dive play as the capoff against Illinois.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
We technically have to win at least 1 to clinch the West, right? Based on this year’s rules I believe only Iowa could come out ahead if they (play and) win their last 3 and we were somehow to lose our last 2 (assuming we won’t be able to play Minny).
This sets up pretty well I think - with the team knowing a win at MSU clinches the west, I think they will avoid a letdown after last week’s big win. I also think this team is less prone to such letdowns due to leadership.
Then we would get a bye week to work on the Spivak dive play as the capoff against Illinois.

I don't think Iowa beats us in the scenario above - we'd both have two losses and we'd have the head-to-head win. Iowa catches NU only if they win out and NU loses out (including a loss to Minnesota).

Regardless, NU will just win Saturday to knock out Iowa and the last two weeks won't even matter.

Folks, I think the bigger point is that every game is much bigger than just the Big Ten West now.

We have a national title contender on our hands.

Still if we really are a national title contender, we should expect victory next 3 games. Minimum.

93rd ranked offense in S&P+ vs the 109th ranked offense

#1 ranked defense vs 29th ranked defense.

Home field advantage for Sparty and coming off a bye. Take those points. It is going to be another slogfest.

Folks, I think the bigger point is that every game is much bigger than just the Big Ten West now.

We have a national title contender on our hands.

Still if we really are a national title contender, we should expect victory next 3 games. Minimum.
Did you say National Title Contender? I see a bunch of people paranoid about MSU, Minny and the Fighting Lovie’s. A National Title contender waxes all of them. To win the Natty, NU would likely need to beat OSU, Alabama, and Clemson in their last three games. Could be the biggest story in college football history if it happened.

I would jump for joy with a B1G title. I expect to win the next three and then have that chance. At the end of the day, the team prepares correctly and NU can win that title. If they don’t, they could lose to a team that views our game as their Super bowl. They know what is in front of them and the mantra of 1-0 is etched in their mindset. Finish the job.

Did you say National Title Contender? I see a bunch of people paranoid about MSU, Minny and the Fighting Lovie’s. A National Title contender waxes all of them. To win the Natty, NU would likely need to beat OSU, Alabama, and Clemson in their last three games. Could be the biggest story in college football history if it happened.

I would jump for joy with a B1G title. I expect to win the next three and then have that chance. At the end of the day, the team prepares correctly and NU can win that title. If they don’t, they could lose to a team that views our game as their Super bowl. They know what is in front of them and the mantra of 1-0 is etched in their mindset. Finish the job.
Yep. That needs to be the fan mindset too.

We should be double digit favorites the last 3 games. Knocking off a top 10 team late in the season is a Super Bowl win (see #4 Iowa in 2009, one of Fitz's greatest wins).

That is what a national championship contender looks like; and yes you get every team's best shot. The only team I would compare this team to is 1995.

We should have the confidence that fans of a national title contender have. Fitz and the team are focused on going 1-0 each week until we get to the conference championship.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I think the phrase you’re looking for is:

EXPECT VICTORY.

This was exactly the mindset Barnett fought to overcome upon his arrival to Evanston. Seems like we are still battling it to a certain extent today. Let’s not get cocky; let’s not look past the game at hand; let’s take care of business one game at a time. Go 1-0. Expect to win.

I think a healthy dose of offense with some impressive play makers on that side of the ball would do wonders for the confidence of our fan base. Offense is the juice most fans need.

GOUNUII

Maybe my memory is hazy, but weren’t the Cats running on fumes by the time of the Iowa game in 2000? I think I recall both Kustok and DA2 playing injured?

This year’s team doesn’t seem to be in the same situation. They are more likely to defeat themselves than to be defeated in the next three games.

I was at that game in 2000. Wasn't that worried through most of the contest; kept thinking at some point we'd turn on the offensive jets - as we did so many times that season - and find the end zone on three straight possessions, or some such thing, and turn the game around. Never happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT