ADVERTISEMENT

Remembering Bob Cox

Bob was probably the first guy I made "friends" with on a board (but if memory serves, and after 25 years things get hazy, we first "met" on the Chicago Tribune Northwestern board and then either he told me about this place or I told him. Don't remember). He used his connections and points to get me awesome tickets to the Alamo Bowl in 2000 and we had a great festive meal with him and other friends on New Years Eve. A really nice, kind man who loved the team and school. He was also funny as hell.

We miss you FEW. Not forgotten.

Go Cats.

PS. I strongly suggest no-one become friends with me on this board. All my best friends, Bob, Jerry/Florida and Steve/Smithee are watching from the best seats in the house but that said I kinda wish they were still hanging out with us.

For your safety I declare GoUPurple a non friend.

:cool:

Last edited:
PS. I strongly suggest no-one become friends with me on this board. All my best friends, Bob, Jerry/Florida and Steve/Smithee are watching from the best seats in the house but that said I kinda wish they were still hanging out with us.

For your safety I delare GoUPurple a non friend.

:cool:
No problem

Bob was probably the first guy I made "friends" with on a board (but if memory serves, and after 25 years things get hazy, we first "met" on the Chicago Tribune Northwestern board and then either he told me about this place or I told him. Don't remember).
He had his own board for a bit, too (the "purple" board). I wonder if that was ever archived anywhere.

That was the weird period when Coach Roy left rivals for goodness knows what reason to take over the NU Scout board and at the same time there was some kind of strange feud going on between him and FEW's friends so he started his own board based on the FEW site.

The odd thing is most of us, who wanted to remain friends with one and all and didn't want to take sides in that spat, simply stayed here for about a year while the board didn't have any leadership or ownership, we were waiting to see how that feud would shake out so we stayed here away from the missles being fired. We would go to the Scout board for the in-game chats but then scamper back here.

Some Illini fan (Chief Illini?) was actually put modestly in charge here and told to delete anything posted that was completly crazy, but that was it, he didn't do anything else. Eventually Lou took over (and good for him!).

It was weird and kinda funny at the same time.

He had his own board for a bit, too (the "purple" board). I wonder if that was ever archived anywhere.
Oh, no, the Purple Board. Yes, it is archived. No, I won't link to it, because it was garbage.

Bob would, I think, agree.

Bob and I set that damn thing up in January 2003-- he was the public face for it, and I ran the code and moderated from behind the curtain. We both regretted it intensely, took it down in 2004, and never looked back.

One good thing that came from it: Bob and I both gained a whole lot of respect for the folks who moderated this and other sites.

Oh, no, the Purple Board. Yes, it is archived. No, I won't link to it, because it was garbage.

Bob would, I think, agree.

Bob and I set that damn thing up in January 2003-- he was the public face for it, and I ran the code and moderated from behind the curtain. We both regretted it intensely, took it down in 2004, and never looked back.

One good thing that came from it: Bob and I both gained a whole lot of respect for the folks who moderated this and other sites.
I still remember SOME fun times from that board. I believe there were some MidValeDave and/or TrojanOdyssey shenanigans in peak "Why Randy Why?" form that were pretty entertaining.

Is there some kind of Hall of Fame (or Hall of Infame) we can vote on for users who no longer post here (for earthly reasons or otherwise)?

Is there some kind of Hall of Fame (or Hall of Infame) we can vote on for users who no longer post here (for earthly reasons or otherwise)?

Not a bad idea though it would be kind of somber. Maybe a link on the site that isn't in our faces all the time or something. Off the top of my head we would add Flag on the Field and the strange man who we all sort of liked who had a million handles back in the day, Ishmael, Louie the Lip, etc.

Reactions: mountaindrew
That was the weird period when Coach Roy left rivals for goodness knows what reason to take over the NU Scout board and at the same time there was some kind of strange feud going on between him and FEW's friends so he started his own board based on the FEW site.

The odd thing is most of us, who wanted to remain friends with one and all and didn't want to take sides in that spat, simply stayed here for about a year while the board didn't have any leadership or ownership, we were waiting to see how that feud would shake out so we stayed here away from the missles being fired. We would go to the Scout board for the in-game chats but then scamper back here.

Some Illini fan (Chief Illini?) was actually put modestly in charge here and told to delete anything posted that was completly crazy, but that was it, he didn't do anything else. Eventually Lou took over (and good for him!).

It was weird and kinda funny at the same time.

Are you sure his handle wasn’t @CappyNU ?

Are you sure his handle wasn’t @CappyNU ?
FD98Od8UcAEI9zg.jpg:large

I remember when Bob, his son Elliot, The Waterboy, Midvale Dave, and Cat Jaws came over to my house many years ago to see the new Hi Def projector (102-inch) that my wife bought for me. If memory serves me correct, we grilled some steaks and watched the Alabama/Auburn game. It was one of the first Hi Def broadcasts of college football. None of us gave a $hit for either team. But it was awesome seeing football in high definition for the first time on a such a big screen. I became good friends with Bob and The Waterboy. We met in the west lot for many games. Bob introduced my wife and me to Larry and his beautiful, talented wife.

Cat Jaws was an all Big 10 shortstop whom I later played next to at third base when we were both washed up. Jaws was a tough competitor, fun team mate, and to this day, best friend. Unfortunately, we are no longer in the twilight of our baseball, and other miscellaneous sports careers, but now, we're in the twilight zone.

Cat Jaws is hilarious in the sense that he is the sterotypical police officer/FBI guy. He is like a cop from central casting talking out of the side of his mouth using all kinds of cop "lingo", "perp" this and "we got a live one" that. Had me in stiches. He gave me a PhD in how actually serious take downs happen, where cops get stationed so they don't inadvetenly shoot each other (it's not like you see on Chicago PD guys!). It was really fascinating. Please pass on my best. I understand he is long since retired but I had a feeling for maybe 15 years after the Alamo Bowl (when he was already retired but still somewhat within the circle of active enforcement- still had a few friends he could call up - Cat Jaws gave me his business card) that if I was getting unjustly f*cked over by some Fed (not that I ever would be, there is no reason, I am speaking just theoretically) that I could call him up and he could look into it. Again, no reason for anything like that to ever transpire, but it was a nice feeling having someone "formerly inside" because hey it's a crazy world and you never know. Please pass on my best. A good fellow!

Last edited:
Reactions: GoUPurple
Today is the fifth anniversary of the passing of Bob Cox, one of the original denizens of this ancient message board.

Bob would have been thrilled with the roller coaster this season has turned out to be.

Go 'Cats!

Thanks so much for the posting. So many of my fond Northwestern football memories involve Bob. Ironically, I just sent a Christmas card to his wife who along with Bob hosted me at their West Lot Tailgates.

Several of those memories that stand out include our first in person meeting outside Dyche Stadium when he gave me some VHS Cassettes of Northwestern games and meeting up in Lawrence, Kansas for the game that got played in a Monsoon. Then of course there was the dinner in Evanston attended by Bob, GoUPurple, Waterboy, and my then attending NU Student Athlete son. If I recall correctly it was to cash in on a "Dinner with Waterboy" auction item donated by Waterboy at an NGN function.

FewatPurduegame.jpg

GoUandFew.jpg

And here is a photo taken by Bob Cox (or maybe it was GoUPurple) at the above referenced NGN auction when Coach Walker came over to our table to hand me the Sammy Sosa Jersey I had just "won."

WalkerandWalther.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Last edited:
A FEW added:

945.jpg

And this one of the more recent ones taken at the NU Alum tailgate preceding theCAL Game being played at Berkely. Moments before running into Bob and his wife I had just received a call from Hawaii Five-O Casting inviting me to participate on an upcoming episode. I remembered joking with Bob that they probably wanted me to play the part of a cadaver.

DSCN6795_zps54174f33.jpg

Cat Jaws is hilarious in the sense that he is the sterotypical police officer/FBI guy. He is like a cop from central casting talking out of the side of his mouth using all kinds of cop "lingo", "perp" this and "we got a live one" that. Had me in stiches. He gave me a PhD in how actually serious take downs happen, where cops get stationed so they don't inadvetenly shoot each other (it's not like you see on Chicago PD guys!). It was really fascinating. Please pass on my best. I understand he is long since retired but I had a feeling for maybe 15 years after the Alamo Bowl (when he was already retired but still somewhat within the circle of active enforcement- still had a few friends he could call up - Cat Jaws gave me his business card) that if I was getting unjustly f*cked over by some Fed (not that I ever would be, there is no reason, I am speaking just theoretically) that I could call him up and he could look into it. Again, no reason for anything like that to ever transpire, but it was a nice feeling having someone "formerly inside" because hey it's a crazy world and you never know. Please pass on my best. A good fellow!
Can you send me his card ?

I’d vote for FootballPhil if I weren’t afraid he’s still lurking and would beat the crap out of me for outing him…..

Can you send me his card ?

Goodness gracious I don't know where I put it, it's been like 20 years, but wavejumper can get you set up, just knock-knock him on this board and he will set you up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT