ADVERTISEMENT

Reported Portal Visit: Fairfield PG Jalen Leach

Unfortunately, it's not always a matter of just walking it up the court. Sometimes you need a guy with the handle and strength and quickness to defeat full-court pressure. Witness Purdue in the semi's (or many not-so-distant-past NU teams).
Bringing the ball up is the least important part of the PG role. Anyone can do that with no pressure. Beating pressure if that exists is far more important. But the most crucial part is calling plays and making sure people are where they are supposed to be.

Reactions: drewjin
Bringing the ball up is the least important part of the PG role. Anyone can do that with no pressure. Beating pressure if that exists is far more important. But the most crucial part is calling plays and making sure people are where they are supposed to be.

Point guards don’t call plays in modern basketball. That comes from the bench.

Point guards don’t call plays in modern basketball. That comes from the bench.
I am not going to argue what percentage of teams have plays originated by players or coaches. I don’t know those numbers.

But you still need a player, PG or not, to call it on the floor. It does not go bench to entire team.

Reactions: IGNORE2
The Cats are not going to lack for floor leadership next year, this entire conversation is the least of our concerns

Reactions: gocatsgo2003

There were times BMac struggled bringing up the ball in his frosh season against the press, so CC subbed in Sobo.

If Clayton is sticking around, I think he'll be ok. He may have looked lost this year, but freshmen point guards who are NOT studs will always struggle with their first game action, especially if it's inconsistent. He was never going to beat out Boo, but as it stands now, he's the best PG on the roster*, and I have faith he is working with that mindset.

If you have a freshman playing point guard, thats usually not good.

Sort of a moot point after landing Leach, but the Cats did have a pretty good run with frosh PGs in TJ, Juice, Sobo and BMac.

Sobo wasn't a "stud" but was, at the very least, a steady hand in his frosh season.

Reactions: drewjin
If we land Blackmon are we a better team on paper than last years squad fully healthy?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT