ADVERTISEMENT

Retired Numbers

Windy City Cat Fan

May 29, 2001
I don't believe NU football has retired any numbers - although perhaps Rashidi Wheeler. Other programs do have retired numbers - Wisconsin has a few including Dayne, Indiana retired Anthony Thompson (#4 alltime rusher in BT history), OSU has some (Archie Griffin (#2rusher) Eddie George etc.), Illinois a few (Butkus) etc. Football is tough with there being 85 scholarship players and up to 100+ on the roster.

Should NU retire #21 as NU's all-time leading rusher, 3rd in BT history and the epitome of a student-athlete? Personally if i were to start retiring numbers at NU I would do Otto Graham and Fitzgerald and then think hard about Jackson. Thoughts?

I think it's better to use a given number as an "honor." I don't know if we'd need silly patches like Meat-chicken did. Wait, they ditched that and decided to retire some numbers.

"1" has its own meaning on the team now.

Maybe "51" is reserved for a special player who Fitz sees similarities in.

I guess you could go on and on. When I see any "24" on the field, it reminds me of Darnell Autry. We only have a handful of numbers with an association like that.

Reactions: hdhntr1
I don't believe NU football has retired any numbers - although perhaps Rashidi Wheeler. Other programs do have retired numbers - Wisconsin has a few including Dayne, Indiana retired Anthony Thompson (#4 alltime rusher in BT history), OSU has some (Archie Griffin (#2rusher) Eddie George etc.), Illinois a few (Butkus) etc. Football is tough with there being 85 scholarship players and up to 100+ on the roster.

Should NU retire #21 as NU's all-time leading rusher, 3rd in BT history and the epitome of a student-athlete? Personally if i were to start retiring numbers at NU I would do Otto Graham and Fitzgerald and then think hard about Jackson. Thoughts?
We already have to have duplicate numbers. Not sure why in FB you would want to retire numbers when you don't have enough already.

I think it's better to use a given number as an "honor." I don't know if we'd need silly patches like Meat-chicken did. Wait, they ditched that and decided to retire some numbers.

"1" has its own meaning on the team now.

Maybe "51" is reserved for a special player who Fitz sees similarities in.

I guess you could go on and on. When I see any "24" on the field, it reminds me of Darnell Autry. We only have a handful of numbers with an association like that.
I like this better than retiring numbers

We already have to have duplicate numbers. Not sure why in FB you would want to retire numbers when you don't have enough already.
Because you are honoring an all-time great player for your program. Is it a big deal to have to double up one more number? OSU, PSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin etc. all seem to be able to manage.

I wish 51 were unofficially retired today, and officially retired whenever Fitz retires (circa 2040, give or take).

Hell, I thought it was weird that Queiro had Jackson's number. I think it should be retired.

My next question though: who should be #1 next year?

Out of curiosity, I think Cthorson will/and should be inducted into the NU sports Hall of Fame for his football career- is this feasible for his performances??

Obviously, TJ Green.

If Fitz lines up TJ as a running back vs. Illinois when we're up 60-0 and he gets hurt after leading us to a perfect regular season, I will never forgive him.. well, at least not until Marty throws for 5TDs in the BIG Championship Game...yeah I forgive easily....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT