ADVERTISEMENT

"Returning production"

phatcat

Nov 5, 2001
Wisconsin
Surely this has always been here, talk of returning starters etc. It feels like this year we are really getting hit over the head with it. It seems straightforward - but is it? Does it include only offensive production - yards, TD's etc, or does it include defensive production, i.e are we dinged for losing 20 tackles a game with Paddy/Blake leaving? Does it account for inbound transfers - Clair, Robinson? What about guys that opted out?

Of course, it's annoying because we're essentially the worst in the country, along with BYU. It's THE excuse to not rank us. But OSU is like 2 spots above us, lost their Heisman finalist and top RB but didn't budge. Look, I have seen this team enough to know that we very well could regress. We've seen it before. I'm simply tired of people presuming we will.

Reactions: hoosboot
I've been thinking that our returning production was not as bad as the numbers would indicate since Cam Porter was coming back and he only got carries later in the year... but especially with him gone, it's probably a real problem. It looks like Fitz is doing a reasonable job on plugging the holes. We won't really know what we've got until 9/3.

I'm still worried about finding a middle linebacker, since Erik Mueller was listed as #2 all of last year and he's gone. You'd think with Fitz and McGarigle that they'll have somebody ready.

Also, not sure about a pass-catching tight end. Trey Pugh is shown in some of the practice highlights on twitter; maybe this is finally his year.

Surely this has always been here, talk of returning starters etc. It feels like this year we are really getting hit over the head with it. It seems straightforward - but is it? Does it include only offensive production - yards, TD's etc, or does it include defensive production, i.e are we dinged for losing 20 tackles a game with Paddy/Blake leaving? Does it account for inbound transfers - Clair, Robinson? What about guys that opted out?

Of course, it's annoying because we're essentially the worst in the country, along with BYU. It's THE excuse to not rank us. But OSU is like 2 spots above us, lost their Heisman finalist and top RB but didn't budge. Look, I have seen this team enough to know that we very well could regress. We've seen it before. I'm simply tired of people presuming we will.
I think it is only based on O production. The D production is a separate issue

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT