ADVERTISEMENT

Rowan Brumbaugh, former top 100 NU commit, hits portal

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
A very, very interesting one.

Recall he decommitted in devastating fashion, but his high school teammate Luke Hunger remains on the team.

Very much built in the BMac mold.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Why do they itemize rb as PASS FIRST when he hasn't even played yet?? Is he unable to score during practices? Why was he top 100 if he cannot score?? Taking this kid after he deserted us would be sort of weird

The way he disrespected NU, I would pass on him.

Too many other players that can help.
I’m not confident there are “that” many other options. NU is not like most schools, especially when it comes to high profile undergrad transfers.

If there is still a relationship between RB and CC (and the interest is mutual), it would be foolish for either party to let pride get in the way.

Last edited:
I’m not confident there are “that” many other options. NU is not like most schools, especially when it comes to high profile undergrad transfers.

If there is still a relationship between RB and CC (and the interest is mutual), it would be foolish for either party to let pride get in the way.
Exactly. Plus, our students can then chant F-you to one of our own players to really make things interesting!

Again, can he shoot 40 percent of 3's as a 2? The question is can he help?

He was our top recruit just a year ago. I doubt he regressed in his one year on the bench at Texas. If he was able to help when we accepted his verbal commitment why wouldn’t he be able to help now? He’s ranked considerably higher than any of our three incoming frosh.

He was our top recruit just a year ago. I doubt he regressed in his one year on the bench at Texas. If he was able to help when we accepted his verbal commitment why wouldn’t he be able to help now? He’s ranked considerably higher than any of our three incoming frosh.
Yup. And let's be honest, we sucked badly the year he decommitted. I can't blame a kid for wanting to go elsewhere.

Reactions: Alvious
If there’s interest, I would hope NU would jump in. The redshirt thing was weird, but it sounds like he wanted to maximize eligibility.

(I remember Brian Butch doing that 25 years ago, but very few others.)

I hope NU has been in contact. It would be a good fit, though NU does have another point guard coming in already.

If there’s interest, I would hope NU would jump in. The redshirt thing was weird, but it sounds like he wanted to maximize eligibility.

I hope NU has been in contact. It would be a good fit, though NU does have another point guard coming in already.

Tough for us to say it would be a good fit without any inside info. For all we know, Bumbraugh may have burned his bridge with the way he handled his decommitment. I recall there was some delay in him signing, not sure if he was forthright with the coaches. All that being said, we need good players.

Tough for us to say it would be a good fit without any inside info. For all we know, Bumbraugh may have burned his bridge with the way he handled his decommitment. I recall there was some delay in him signing, not sure if he was forthright with the coaches. All that being said, we need good players.
‘Fit’ here simply meant ‘position of need’.

He was ‘committed’, but obviously open to better offers. As was written above, Texas was objectively a better opportunity at the time.

‘Fit’ here simply meant ‘position of need’.

He was ‘committed’, but obviously open to better offers. As was written above, Texas was objectively a better opportunity at the time.

Sure. As written above, he may have burned a bridge when he left the program in a lurch when he reneged on his verbal commitment. Could be persona non grata in Evanston. I have no idea. Maybe Nicholson’s girlfriend’s BFF can spill the beans. 🤷‍♂️

Tre doesn't speak for the program, but he knows the program and this feels like a burnt bridge to me. Rightly so.

On that note, sharing some Tre Demps respect: I liked him as a player, though I thought he was a chucker. He's a great analyst - makes me wonder what he'd be like as an assistant coach.

Also, have to wonder if Brommbaugh has what it takes defensively. With the approach we (now) take on D and the emphasis on quick rotations, we can't have a weak link on the floor. I would guess the coaching staff intend to maintain that defensive identity - which will factor into how they look at transfers.

Agreed. I am glad I am not still being held to decisions I made as a 17 year old

I suspect he follows Beard to Ole Miss.

Well if he bailed on NU and Chris Collins to go get redshirted by Chris Beard in Texas, then bailed on that commitment, what the hell is he going to do making split second decisions during a Big Ten game?

Here's a hint - from Dave Revsine of the future "Cats down by 1, three seconds on the clock... Oh and Brumbaugh threw it away..."

The way he disrespected NU, I would pass on him.

Too many other players that can help
Unfortunately there are not. NU admissions is at least as hard on transfers as they are on HS students. Cannot cut of nose to spite face. And if the kid has seen the error in his ways.... That said, do have to be careful and make sure he would be committed. But hard not to look at him with all three of our super seniors potentially leaving plus Roper. Have a lot of open spots and we have a hard time bringing a lot of guys in a single class

He is headed to Georgetown. Georgetown also grabbed Mulready for 2024. Should be a nice backcourt for a couple of years (potentially)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT