ADVERTISEMENT

Ruiz, Two State Titles

loyolacat

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2006
Cameron Ruiz, recent commit from Lakes High School won the Long Jump and the Triple Jump at the State Track Meet yesterday. He also competed in the 400 getting 6th and the 1600 relay all in one day with rolling events , meaning little or no breaks between events. He sounds like a big time competitor. Congrats to Mr. Ruiz

Cameron Ruiz, recent commit from Lakes High School won the Long Jump and the Triple Jump at the State Track Meet yesterday. He also competed in the 400 getting 6th and the 1600 relay all in one day with rolling events , meaning little or no breaks between events. He sounds like a big time competitor. Congrats to Mr. Ruiz
What were his distances?

Ruiz was competing at the 3A level, which are the largest schools in Illinois. His jumps were the best distances at all three levels, so he is a true Illinois State Champion in these events.

I've never been a fan of track athletes who play football. But I love football players who compete in track and field. If Ruiz is the latter, then I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Both very impressive. There's definitely some natural explosive athleticism with Mr Ruiz. Hope he continues to develop as a football player to match it.
Brings to mind a former fNU player who did track...hmmmm

Brings to mind a former fNU player who did track...hmmmm

There are lots of NU football players who were also track athletes. His results are amongst the best.

PS -- it's kind of a disservice to compare a high school junior to Sherrick McManis, who was enough of an athlete to be picked in the fourth round having never run a 40 for scouts. But, for what it's worth, Ruiz's 24-0 is appreciably better than McManis' 22-8 that won state in 2005.

There are lots of NU football players who were also track athletes. His results are amongst the best.

PS -- it's kind of a disservice to compare a high school junior to Sherrick McManis, who was enough of an athlete to be picked in the fourth round having never run a 40 for scouts. But, for what it's worth, Ruiz's 24-0 is appreciably better than McManis' 22-8 that won state in 2005.
As I recall, Sherrick was a jumper. I am well aware that the 24' mark is better than Sherrick's, just that the stats brought him to mind. If he pans out the same way, and has the recovery from injury ability Sherrick had, we are clearly the winners.

24 feet is the best long jump by any of our recruits, and he's only a junior. 50'6" triple jump is also super. I'm not sure which is better. The kid is a physical player as well. He will at least be good on special teams.

Sherrick was a fifth round pick.

24 feet is the best long jump by any of our recruits, and he's only a junior. 50'6" triple jump is also super. I'm not sure which is better. The kid is a physical player as well. He will at least be good on special teams.

Sherrick was a fifth round pick.

Yes he was. Appreciate the correction.

I have a friend from Peoria that ran and jumped against McManis in HS and he said he was legit the most freak athlete he's ever seen. Real cool story, huh?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT