ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor that the Cats will take the EL to Wrigley

phatcat

Nov 5, 2001
Wisconsin
Saw this quote on LinkedIn. Anyone confirm or deny?

It's not final yet, but Fitzgerald wants the team to take the L train from Evanston to Wrigley Field before the game. Arrangement would need to be made with the train authority, but this would be a great way for Northwestern to arrive. The ride takes only 20 minutes or so.

The Cubs say the clock on the famous Wrigley Field scoreboard still works for football and will be used Nov. 20.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard are you going to Wrigley for the experience or to try to win a game?

20 MINUTES?!? Which L is this?
I can still recall the conductor intoning "this is the Evanston Express", nka Purple Line.

I've lived in 11 states and have traveled to around 30 countries. I am not from Chicago, and only lived there during my NU years - but - I have always wanted to live back there and will likely move to Milwaukee area when I retire. We have family there.

For all it's warts, Chicago is my favorite city in the world.

It's not final yet, but Fitzgerald wants the team to take the L train from Evanston to Wrigley Field before the game. Arrangement would need to be made with the train authority, but this would be a great way for Northwestern to arrive. The ride takes only 20 minutes or so.

The Cubs say the clock on the famous Wrigley Field scoreboard still works for football and will be used Nov. 20.
Sounds pretty cool to me. Chicago's Big Ten Team.

Thats the best. Why not. Thats what I like about Mr Fitzgerald. I think he is a good friend to kids because Fitz is alot like me insomuch that he lives young. But his coaching is awful unless he has counsel like with Hankwitz. If a game is on the line, Fitz can win but we are so incredibly far from "game on the line" primarily because Fitz' recruiting has sucked terribly.

I vaguely recall this being discussed in 2010. For some reason I think there was an NCAA rule that prevented it. I hope they can do it, it will likely be the best thing that will happen on Saturday.
There is an NCAA rule that says you can’t take a train?

Extra benefits not available to the general student population. Too luxurious.
So why do they get a special bus to games and a flight if its an away game since that is not given to all other students? No way that can be the reason.

I just recall the reason being they thought it would throw off game prep, team meal, etc.

So why do they get a special bus to games and a flight if its an away game since that is not given to all other students? No way that can be the reason.

I just recall the reason being they thought it would throw off game prep, team meal, etc.
I was mostly making fun of the NCAA, which has rules that make no sense and which is ever-so-steadily losing its grip, especially on big time college football, such as it is.

Will the Boilermakers actually be bringing their train to Wrigley Field and not just riding it? Do we have something planned to compete with their Big Drum as well?

Last edited:
Believe there are 13 stops just from Howard to Addison

my point is that if this Story is true, I would imagine this would effectively be a chartered train that is only transporting the Cats to Wrigley. I highly doubt the train would stop along the way to pick up other passengers.

Reactions: willycat and DaCat

I'm probably not remembering correctly. I'm sure NU has the clout to get a special express El from Evanston to Addison. I do remember it being discussed in 2010. The NCAA has a lot of stupid and quirky rules but maybe that wasn't the reason the idea was scrapped.

I was hoping for a functional defense. I mean, offense. Or, kicking. Anything
26-28 in practice, baby!

That's another mantra from this season, right next to 6 consecutive shutout quarters.

26-28 in practice, baby!

That's another mantra from this season, right next to 6 consecutive shutout quarters.
@DaCat is this some sort of quote from a Fitz press conference about how well CK is kicking in practice? Did he seriously say this?

He certainly could have taken the train.
Fitz should have made him ride a bike back to Evanston and blog about it. At least he would have given us fans some entertainment like your old thread on the rant board.

my point is that if this Story is true, I would imagine this would effectively be a chartered train that is only transporting the Cats to Wrigley. I highly doubt the train would stop along the way to pick up other passengers.
Who cares? Dont you have anything better to do than count the number of stops? Not busting on ya. After all, love all your recruiting reports how we are getting all these needles in haystacks! Wow.
Go cats

I want it for the players if the players want it...just like uniforms...whatever they want, I want for them. If it would be uncomfortable or an inconvenience for them...then it's not worth the gimmick.

I think there was a semi-practical reason for possibly taking the el back in 2010 - the Cubs locker rooms were notoriously cramped and barely accommodating to a baseball team, much less a fully-equipped college football team. I imagine not (or at least less of) a problem since upgrades over the past decade?

@DaCat is this some sort of quote from a Fitz press conference about how well CK is kicking in practice? Did he seriously say this?
Yes. Someone asked Fitz during the Monday presser about Charlie and his response was that he made 26/28 field goals in practice so he would finish the season out as the kicker. What I would like to know is how the other guys did - for example, if Finison was only 10/28, then obviously Koobs deserves job. But if Finison was 26/28 also, or even say 24/28, I feel he deserves a chance. Koobs seems to have the yips during games and that doesn't get fixed quickly.

Yes. Someone asked Fitz during the Monday presser about Charlie and his response was that he made 26/28 field goals in practice so he would finish the season out as the kicker. What I would like to know is how the other guys did - for example, if Finison was only 10/28, then obviously Koobs deserves job. But if Finison was 26/28 also, or even say 24/28, I feel he deserves a chance. Koobs seems to have the yips during games and that doesn't get fixed quickly.
Fitz is in denial. Practice doesnt count. Charlie cant hit a FG on Saturday. A coach should know that.

I remember watching Miller Kopp in practice. Nothing but net. I used to watch shoot arounds prior to opening tip and our guys shot nothing but net. Then comes a game.

Reactions: DaCat
God he is so FOS. There are a number of frustrating things about being a Cats' fan. Two of my favorites are lousy kicking and stubborn coaching. I don't give a sh1te about how good a guy is in practice. if he sucks in the game, guess what? he sucks when it matters. I don't need to wait until a guy throws 3 interceptions in a quarter (oops, wrong position). We are such a crap team that missed may not have cost us many games directly; however, I am sure it takes the air out of the team to drive down/cause a turnover and then get nothing. Further, how many times in the past several YEARS has Fitz gone for it in obvious FG situations because he has no confidence. Texas Tech won a game on a 62 yard field goal. Imagine Fitz sending CK out there for that.

CK is 2-7 in conference. I'm sorry, that is simply unacceptable.

Just my guessing here, but he's not sticking with Charlie because of his practice performance...he's sticking with him because he doesn't have definitively better options. Obviously he can't say that as nicely in a press conference.

My also very super-cynical belief is that unless he is 100% certain he has a 100% better option on the bench who will 100% do 100% better than Charlie, he'll keep Charlie in as he needs the last two games to continue to climb on the all-time NU kicker list. To be clear to those who are rolling their eyes reading this right now...NO, I am NOT saying Fitz is keeping the bad kicker in solely so the kid can have good career stats...but he also won't cost him his spot in the record books unless he's certain got a better option.

Just my guessing here, but he's not sticking with Charlie because of his practice performance...he's sticking with him because he doesn't have definitively better options. Obviously he can't say that as nicely in a press conference.

My also very super-cynical belief is that unless he is 100% certain he has a 100% better option on the bench who will 100% do 100% better than Charlie, he'll keep Charlie in as he needs the last two games to continue to climb on the all-time NU kicker list. To be clear to those who are rolling their eyes reading this right now...NO, I am NOT saying Fitz is keeping the bad kicker in solely so the kid can have good career stats...but he also won't cost him his spot in the record books unless he's certain got a better option.
rolling my eyes? No - I'm grinding my teeth into dust at the moment. I doubt that it is true, but if it was, does anyone really think this guy needs to be mentioned in the same paragraph as Jeff Budzien? I find it kind of sad that he's going to pass Brian Gowins.

Interesting factoid - Derek Adams has the highest all time punt average for us. Wow.

Derek Adams has the most punts and most yards in NCAA history. He broke both of the records last week.

Reactions: IGNORE2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT