ADVERTISEMENT

Satellite Camp Ban Rescinded

This was part of Jim Philips audition to replace Jim Delaney as commissioner.

Reactions: IGNORE2
That was a battle, but not the war.

NU stands nothing to gain and everything to lose with this ruling.

I'm not worried about the impact on NU. We can take care of ourselves and won't whine about it. The SEC on the other hand had to cry to the NCAA about the completely acceptable camps...

I'm not worried about the impact on NU. We can take care of ourselves and won't whine about it. The SEC on the other hand had to cry to the NCAA about the completely acceptable camps...
There will also be no negative outcome to NU. If anything, this is great for us.

Why do you think that? (Not a flame, just curious, as I have no clue one way or the other)
A high school football player playing in Illinois has a 100% chance of knowing about SEC football, etc. A football player in SEC country has what...a 25%-50% of knowing that NU exists or knowing anything about the school, the program, etc.

To me, satellite camps benefit schools who need to work on building their national brand, which is definitely us. I'm not concerned about SEC teams coming up north and "stealing" talent because, frankly, there just isn't as much talent. Overall, my take is that not much will change, but if you can introduce NU to more kids, it will be great for us.

Of course, this is predicated on the idea that we actually participate. It will not benefit us if we don't actually get involved in said camps.

A high school football player playing in Illinois has a 100% chance of knowing about SEC football, etc. A football player in SEC country has what...a 25%-50% of knowing that NU exists or knowing anything about the school, the program, etc.

To me, satellite camps benefit schools who need to work on building their national brand, which is definitely us. I'm not concerned about SEC teams coming up north and "stealing" talent because, frankly, there just isn't as much talent. Overall, my take is that not much will change, but if you can introduce NU to more kids, it will be great for us.

Of course, this is predicated on the idea that we actually participate. It will not benefit us if we don't actually get involved in said camps.

Thanks for the explanation.

Yeah, I'm not seeing this as an SEC-vs-B10 thing, or a Harbaugh-vs-Saban thing. The media like to portray it that way because drama generates clicks generates revenue.

I'm pleased about this ruling for the Group of 5 programs who benefit by satelliting with a Power 5 camp (the way MAC teams do with some of your conference's schools, for instance). That will help players who don't really have a great shot at getting into, say, Wisconsin, but can get noticed by, say, CMU instead.

As for this increasing the extent of distant schools poaching the talent-rich states of FL, GA, LA, TX, and CA, I'm not so worried about that. We and a lot of others have been pulling talent from those states (as well as Ohio, and North Carolina, in our particular case) for a long time. "Travel camps" will help increase that exposure even more, but we were already there. So was Michigan, all the hoopla notwithstanding.

By the way, the ACC and SEC have already announced they will end their own bans on travel camps; pandora is well and truly out of the box. I'm betting we'll see at least one SEC team setting up camp in Ohio or Michigan (make it Ohio, weather is less brutal!) next spring. :)

Last edited:

My sense is that a kid in LA (lower Alabama, heh) is just about as likely to know NU exists as a kid in the upper peninsula of Michigan is to know Vandy exists. :)

Everyone in both places, naturally, knows that Ohio State and LSU are out there.

I do absolutely agree with you that the programs who can benefit most are those who are known the least in certain places, if they travel to those places and make some noise about being there.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan

A kid in Georgia or Florida doesn't know about Michigan or tOSU? What happens when Tennessee opens a camp in Greater Chicago? The kids there will then more than just know about Tennessee. The SEC schools have huge budgets. So, a quality kid that might slip away from the B1G altogether.

A kid in Georgia or Florida doesn't know about Michigan or tOSU? What happens when Tennessee opens a camp in Greater Chicago? The kids there will then more than just know about Tennessee. The SEC schools have huge budgets. So, a quality kid that might slip away from the B1G altogether.
Does each SEC school get 50 scholarships a year now?

I said nothing about a kid not knowing OSU or Mich, I said NU. Conference vs. conference it probably won't make much of a difference, but for the lesser known schools it will be a good thing.

Also, B1G schools have giant budgets as well, don't kid yourself.

I'm pleased about this ruling for the Group of 5 programs who benefit by satelliting with a Power 5 camp (the way MAC teams do with some of your conference's schools, for instance). That will help players who don't really have a great shot at getting into, say, Wisconsin, but can get noticed by, say, CMU instead.

Totally agree. Ohio State's camp, for example, was a great way for poorer kids to get exposure to all of the MAC programs (and in Ohio and nearby Michigan there are so many). It was totally unfair to tell a kid to visit Akron, Kent, Miami, Ohio U and Toledo on his own dime if he wanted to be evaluated.

I said nothing about a kid not knowing OSU or Mich, I said NU. Conference vs. conference it probably won't make much of a difference, but for the lesser known schools it will be a good thing.

Also, B1G schools have giant budgets as well, don't kid yourself.

The point being, only the top programs of the SEC/B1G will gain from this ruling.

NU had better get involved. Maybe a camp in Georgia could be a start.

Won't it be to cold up here for your boys?

Does each SEC school get 50 scholarships a year now?

If they are anything like dOSU the athletes leave school before obtaining their degree. Just look at the draft yesterday with sophomores and juniors being drafted. No to mention other reasons.

NU had better get involved. Maybe a camp in Georgia could be a start.
ChJtS87UcAAxput.jpg

I was thinking Texas as well but NU already does well there. Florida is also another obvious spot but Georgia is virtually untapped territory for NU and would be a great area to further exploration.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT