ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday's open practice moved inside...again. No BTN

Hope none of next seasons games will be played in 40 degree temperatures or less. NU might have to move game indoors to the Horizon or UC. Guess we will have to ask Fitz why NU would not want their program on the BTN. Must be all those secret plays McCall is planning on using on 1st down, like "Jackson the ball carrier".

Hope none of next seasons games will be played in 40 degree temperatures or less. NU might have to move game indoors to the Horizon or UC. Guess we will have to ask Fitz why NU would not want their program on the BTN. Must be all those secret plays McCall is planning on using on 1st down, like "Jackson the ball carrier".

Because the 17 people who might watch the BTN show aren't going to make a difference and it's much more important to get actual work done during one of your 15 spring practices than worry about a sham show for season ticket holders (who will be coming to the games come fall no matter what).

Because the 17 people who might watch the BTN show aren't going to make a difference and it's much more important to get actual work done during one of your 15 spring practices than worry about a sham show for season ticket holders (who will be coming to the games come fall no matter what).
Hey hey. I bet at least 170 people would watch it on BTN. 85 players x 2 parents. That's 170 people. Me, you and Willycat will watch it too so that's 173. I changed my number. 190 people total more if you count the people that work for BTN that have edit it, broadcast it...

Shakes, you need to challenge GCG. Put your screen name on the line.

OK, I get it now. It will be better for NU if none of there practices or games are on BTN or ESPN or ... Ah, the secrets Fitz and McCall are draming up will me mind boggling. NU will certainly have an advantage because of these secret extra practices, since possibly just about every Power 5 program will not be getting actual work done because they are holding open spring practices or scrimmages for their fans.

OK, I get it now. It will be better for NU if none of there practices or games are on BTN or ESPN or ... Ah, the secrets Fitz and McCall are draming up will me mind boggling. NU will certainly have an advantage because of these secret extra practices, since possibly just about every Power 5 program will not be getting actual work done because they are holding open spring practices or scrimmages for their fans.

Or "it literally makes no difference whatsoever."

But whatever floats your pessimistic, squeaky-wheel boat.

It does affect fan enthusiasm for the program. We don't have to have a Spring game (I don't want one), but at least one scrimmage should be available for the diehard fans who usually bring extra people to games. Fitz and Phillips need to seriously rethink this "we don't care about the fans" approach if they want good attendance. Last year's attendance was not good for a 10-2 regular season. His teams suck at executing trick plays anyway, so what secret is he going to let out of the bag that will have any consequence.

It does affect fan enthusiasm for the program. We don't have to have a Spring game (I don't want one), but at least one scrimmage should be available for the diehard fans who usually bring extra people to games. Fitz and Phillips need to seriously rethink this "we don't care about the fans" approach if they want good attendance. Last year's attendance was not good for a 10-2 regular season. His teams suck at executing trick plays anyway, so what secret is he going to let out of the bag that will have any consequence.

"Should?" Why?

whining.gif

Reactions: Noah121 and drosejr

At the risk of arguing with someone that was actually with the program (although largely in a recruiting capacity as I understand) or disputing the wisdom of Fitz, I will call bullshit to some extent. While I do think there is something to building a following for the program and the impact of marketing, forget that for a moment. Playing a scrimmage/game would seem extremely valuable for the benefits of bringing clarity to the depth chart and improving the team.

Why wouldn't we want to have a real scrimmage with a clock? See who practices well vs. who can actually perform in game conditions? It's different when you are in real game conditions, with refs, with full speed hitting. We can't spare one of our 15 spring practices to do that, and that wouldn't be valuable? When I played competitive basketball, people joked that I was an awesome (relatively speaking) practice player, but was a totally different player in a game with refs and a running clock. People would tell me "now do that in a real game." And for some reason, I couldn't with as much consistency.

At the risk of arguing with someone that was actually with the program (although largely in a recruiting capacity as I understand) or disputing the wisdom of Fitz, I will call bullshit to some extent. While I do think there is something to building a following for the program and the impact of marketing, forget that for a moment. Playing a scrimmage/game would seem extremely valuable for the benefits of bringing clarity to the depth chart and improving the team.

Why wouldn't we want to have a real scrimmage with a clock? See who practices well vs. who can actually perform in game conditions? It's different when you are in real game conditions, with refs, with full speed hitting. We can't spare one of our 15 spring practices to do that, and that wouldn't be valuable? When I played competitive basketball, people joked that I was an awesome (relatively speaking) practice player, but was a totally different player in a game with refs and a running clock. People would tell me "now do that in a real game." And for some reason, I couldn't with as much consistency.

How do you know they won't do a "real" scrimmage with a clock, game situations, and referees?

If 2016 was going to be like 2015, they would have had some 11 on 11 scrimmaging open to the public, if a) the April 2 practice wasn't cancelled due to crappy weather, and b) if the rain date hadn't been moved indoors due to cold weather. Rarely do I stick up for Coach Fitz, but in this case I don't see what all the moaning is about. Consecutive Saturdays with crap weather isn't his fault.

I would have watched it. You underestimate the number of NU fans and alumni around the country who wouldn't be at the spring "open practice" but would be interested in watching it on the BTN. Sure, we're not talking about blockbuster numbers here, but it's certainly more than 17. o_O

I'm disappointed that I won't be able to see the 'Cats on TV tomorrow. So in that regard, it does make a difference.

If 2016 was going to be like 2015, they would have had some 11 on 11 scrimmaging open to the public, if a) the April 2 practice wasn't cancelled due to crappy weather, and b) if the rain date hadn't been moved indoors due to cold weather. Rarely do I stick up for Coach Fitz, but in this case I don't see what all the moaning is about. Consecutive Saturdays with crap weather isn't his fault.
So they cancel two consecutive Saturday practices because it might on be 45 degrees and possible showers. How about rescheduling them for a weekday or even next Saturday. Walker hated these "games but held them for the most part but Fitz seems to have taken the hate to another level. NU has also stopped holding a open scrimmage in Kenosha under Fitz. If you don't think this affects enthusiasm and ticket sales for the FB program I'm thinking your wrong. I have canceled one of my season tickets and lowered my "donation" to the Wildcat Fund for the upcoming season and may cut back again next year. I also don't want hear that I'm not a loyal fan, since I went with my family who held ST's in the 60's and 70's and have now owned ST's since 1995. Spring "games" have previously been fairly well attended and very well during the Barnett years and should also be held to award their loyal fans. Someone needs to sit down with Fitz and explain these things before home attendance reflects those at Northern.

I would have tuned in on Saturday evening in London, but I agree with Shakes that I really do not think it is Fitz's or Dr. Jim's fault that the weather in Evanston sucks. I also agree, though, that giving the fans a taste of Wildcat football in the spring, whether it be a spring game or controlled scrimmage, is a good idea to build fan support, especially if it can be seen by those outside Chicago via BTN.

Reactions: willycat
Attendance was actually pretty good last year coming off two five win seasons, especially since Iowa was the only real road draw that was on the schedule. 36-thousand plus on Labor Day weekend for Stanford with the playoff-bound Cubs playing at the same time and no students on campus. This year with Wisconsin and Nebraska here (and Illinois too with Lovie Smith in charge) is a more attractive schedule.

So they cancel two consecutive Saturday practices because it might on be 45 degrees and possible showers. How about rescheduling them for a weekday or even next Saturday. Walker hated these "games but held them for the most part but Fitz seems to have taken the hate to another level. NU has also stopped holding a open scrimmage in Kenosha under Fitz. If you don't think this affects enthusiasm and ticket sales for the FB program I'm thinking your wrong. I have canceled one of my season tickets and lowered my "donation" to the Wildcat Fund for the upcoming season and may cut back again next year. I also don't want hear that I'm not a loyal fan, since I went with my family who held ST's in the 60's and 70's and have now owned ST's since 1995. Spring "games" have previously been fairly well attended and very well during the Barnett years and should also be held to award their loyal fans. Someone needs to sit down with Fitz and explain these things before home attendance reflects those at Northern.

Geez Willy, was the reason you dumped a season ticket and lowered your donation the cancelling of the Spring game? I would have went since I am in the area, but I am much more concerned with wins when the season opens!

I would have watched it. You underestimate the number of NU fans and alumni around the country who wouldn't be at the spring "open practice" but would be interested in watching it on the BTN. Sure, we're not talking about blockbuster numbers here, but it's certainly more than 17. o_O

I'm disappointed that I won't be able to see the 'Cats on TV tomorrow. So in that regard, it does make a difference.

So that basically means that you're part of the 17 people.

Oh no! $250 less in ticket sales is REALLY going to bring down the budget!

With only 15 practices in the spring, it's much MUCH more important to get good work in rather than "toughening guys up" in Midwestern weather or worrying whether the couple hundred season ticket holders who might show up in inclement weather are going to be upset.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1

Of COURSE you stick up for Fitz! Just look at your screenname....

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
In case anyone's interested, NU's scrimmage was covered on BTN's "Spring Football Report" today. It'll be rebroadcast a number of times over the next couple of days

That's "JUSTIN Jackson the ball carrier" to you, pal!

Oh no! $250 less in ticket sales is REALLY going to bring down the budget!

With only 15 practices in the spring, it's much MUCH more important to get good work in rather than "toughening guys up" in Midwestern weather or worrying whether the couple hundred season ticket holders who might show up in inclement weather are going to be upset.

I seriously hope that Dr Jim's staff doesn't feel the same way as you do about lost season tickets. Coming off a 10 win season, nobody should be canceling tickets.

I tend to believe that the incremental value of a well run spring practice / public event to the program at large is higher than the incremental value of a well-run and efficient '1 of 15'.

I seriously hope that Dr Jim's staff doesn't feel the same way as you do about lost season tickets. Coming off a 10 win season, nobody should be canceling tickets.

I tend to believe that the incremental value of a well run spring practice / public event to the program at large is higher than the incremental value of a well-run and efficient '1 of 15'.

You can't please all the people all the time.

I know about a half-dozen NU fans who are cancelling their season tickets or reducing the number they used to purchase. Some have lost interest because of the poor offense and lack of coaching changes to address the problem. I disagree with them, but that's what they're doing.

I know about a half-dozen NU fans who are cancelling their season tickets or reducing the number they used to purchase. Some have lost interest because of the poor offense and lack of coaching changes to address the problem. I disagree with them, but that's what they're doing.

Their loss.

Their loss.

Agree. Teams cycle, reacting to a poor offensive season is pretty silly. On the other hand, so is buying a season ticket to a team that rarely if ever sells out. Economically you might as well buy on the secondary market and save some dough whilst getting great seats from the NU fans who sell there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT