ADVERTISEMENT

SEC and Mich Oversigning

SciCat

Mar 7, 2005
From 2015- 2018, Ala signed 98 recruits, and U Ga signed 99. UM signed 101 from 2016 - 2019. NU only signed 74.

That says a lot on so many fronts. Kudos to Fitz for sticking with his players and developing them, and not running them off the roster.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
From 2015- 2018, Ala signed 98 recruits, and U Ga signed 99. UM signed 101 from 2016 - 2019. NU only signed 74.

That says a lot on so many fronts. Kudos to Fitz for sticking with his players and developing them, and not running them off the roster.
I thought the rule was you could sign a max of 25 per class. In that case, only UM "oversigned" (if you mean 4 recruiting classes in that time period). And no doubt Bama and UGA had guys leave early for the NFL. But you're probably right that all three no doubt ran guys off who couldn't play at the level they expect. NU doesn't.

I thought the rule was you could sign a max of 25 per class. In that case, only UM "oversigned" (if you mean 4 recruiting classes in that time period). And no doubt Bama and UGA had guys leave early for the NFL. But you're probably right that all three no doubt ran guys off who couldn't play at the level they expect. NU doesn't.

Yes, but you're allowed a maximum of 85 at any one time. Those schools probably have had several go pro and run off others over that period of time. I suppose there is always the possibility of academic attrition, although that doesn't seem to happen often.

Reactions: WildBillcat

Lots of these players only stick around three years compared to five for NU. Add in the QB transfers and other reasonable decisions to leave for playing time (Alvin Kamara leaving Alabama so he wouldn’t sit behind Derrick Henry) and you don’t actually see much of what you describe.

Maybe limiting over signing is a way to introduce more parity in the Power 5. That and allowing players to sign a commitment letter at any time.

Maybe limiting over signing is a way to introduce more parity in the Power 5. That and allowing players to sign a commitment letter at any time.

I loosely remember an article about our Outback Bowl game against Auburn, where the topic of over signing was discussed.
Of the 85 players eligible to play for each team over a 5 year period, NU had signed 89 and Auburn about 150
The author concluded that over signing did not benefit Auburn since the game went into OT

The SEC has now limited signings to partially correct this practice of signing and then "cutting" players

I loosely remember an article about our Outback Bowl game against Auburn, where the topic of over signing was discussed.
Of the 85 players eligible to play for each team over a 5 year period, NU had signed 89 and Auburn about 150
The author concluded that over signing did not benefit Auburn since the game went into OT

The SEC has now limited signings to partially correct this practice of signing and then "cutting" players
Good to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT