• Sam Miller (DE)
  • Joe Spivak (DT)
  • Blake Gallagher (LB)
  • Chris Bergin (LB)
  • Eric Mueller (LB)
  • JR Pace (DB)
  • Charlie Kuhbander (K)
Am I missing anyone else?
Don't know but pretty high number. Are they that much more ready than recruits in the past? Are they that much better than guys in the system? How much effect have injuries had?

So far this year I have 12 (out of 28)
  • Kyric McGowan (WR)
  • Jace James (WR)
  • Trey Pugh (SB)
  • Rashawn Slater (OL)
  • Earnest Brown (DE)
  • Sam Miller (DE)
  • Joe Spivak (DT)
  • Blake Gallagher (LB)
  • Chris Bergin (LB)
  • Eric Mueller (LB)
  • JR Pace (DB)
  • Charlie Kuhbander (K)
Am I missing anyone else?
It looks like you are counting PWO's in your total since we only had 19 Freshman on schollies. I don't think we generally "save" our PWO's shirt thinking they will be here all 5 years. You have an opportunity to play them they do it. Of the 19, at least 9 have played. I saw Trevor Kent in last weeks participation list, but I think that was a mistake. If he played it would be 10.

OK, question: which of these will have the most snaps when the year is over? My vote : Sam Miller.

It looks like you are counting PWO's in your total since we only had 19 Freshman on schollies. I don't think we generally "save" our PWO's shirt thinking they will be here all 5 years. You have an opportunity to play them they do it. Of the 19, at least 9 have played. I saw Trevor Kent in last weeks participation list, but I think that was a mistake. If he played it would be 10.

It is absolutely preferable to redshirt a walk-on if possible. They're still able to make their primary contribution during practice (i.e. practicing on the scout teams) and doing so means you've got an extra year of eligibility on the chance that walk-on develops into a gameday contributior.

It is absolutely preferable to redshirt a walk-on if possible. They're still able to make their primary contribution during practice (i.e. practicing on the scout teams) and doing so means you've got an extra year of eligibility on the chance that walk-on develops into a gameday contributior.

Good point. Austin Carr is thankful for that redshirt.

Honest question: how many walk-ons last 5 or even 4 years? Got to be a brutal grind when all you are is practice fodder.

Honest question: how many walk-ons last 5 or even 4 years? Got to be a brutal grind when all you are is practice fodder.

Plenty. The free Master's degree from Northwestern is strong incentive for guys to take a fifth-year spot, if offered.

But if they are good enough to play now... Likely that means they would not be a walk on for long. Or does that mean you have a large number of injuries?

Who are the PWO's?

Agreed - exactly why I included them in the count. Plus, would not be shocked if Mueller and Spivak are schollied at some point.

Agree that it was a mistake - didn't see him out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT