ADVERTISEMENT

Siemian

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Having an excellent day today, and praised by Phil Simms for the body of work that was his rookie season.

Kubiak announced he will resign today. Wonder what that means for Trevor's future. Kubiak is a sort of QB whisperer. Will the new administration go with Lynch? We'll see.

There is such a dearth of QB talent in the NFL. Trevor has shown he can play in the League. If it's not in Denver next season (not saying he is on his way out--he has done nothing to jeopardize his position there), it will be for some team that forked over a high draft pick for his rights.

There is such a dearth of QB talent in the NFL. Trevor has shown he can play in the League. If it's not in Denver next season (not saying he is on his way out--he has done nothing to jeopardize his position there), it will be for some team that forked over a high draft pick for his rights.

Elway made a great decision not to sign Osweiler. Broncos should stand pat with Lynch and Siemian and see who emerges.

The QB crop is weak this season. The Bears should trade a mid-round pick for him, and Trevor can keep the seat warm for Thorson in two years.

The previous quarterback took them to previously unseen heights. Perhaps Trevor can eclipse them.

The QB crop is weak this season. The Bears should trade a mid-round pick for him, and Trevor can keep the seat warm for Thorson in two years.

The previous quarterback took them to previously unseen heights. Perhaps Trevor can eclipse them.
I would feel bad for TS if he came here. This team sucks and cannot block. Trevor would get hurt.

I can't see how they trade him with that dirt cheap rookie contract he will be on. As Simms said, they need an OT, OG and an interior DL, and they will be playoff ready.

Agreed. Cannot imagine the Broncos would give him up unless some other club made a crazy good offer.
No kidding. Even if they chose to go with the other guy, given his familiarity with the offense their, he would be one of the best back ups in the league.

The Broncos should/probably will - draft/trade at least 3 offensive linemen next year.

Their right tackle, Stephenson, who they obtained from the Chiefs, was beyond putrid. When Denver played the Chiefs at Mile High, Justin Houston #50 of the Chiefs, destroyed Stephenson on every pass play - make that every down! Talk about the matador block - ole".

If Denver doesn't replace Stephenson, whoever plays QB is risking a serious injury.

Glades will probably like this - Mark Kiszla, the hack journalist from the Denver Post tried to place the blame for the Bronco's season on Siemian's shoulders. This guy, Kiszla, knows nothing about the game, just as he knew nothing about the situation at Colorado when he helped to pour gas on the fire to get rid of Barnett. Perhaps Kiszla doesn't know that it's pretty hard to throw completions when you're on your back. Amazing at the lack of game knowledge by some who write about the sport.

The Broncos should/probably will - draft/trade at least 3 offensive linemen next year.

Their right tackle, Stephenson, who they obtained from the Chiefs, was beyond putrid. When Denver played the Chiefs at Mile High, Justin Houston #50 of the Chiefs, destroyed Stephenson on every pass play - make that every down! Talk about the matador block - ole".

If Denver doesn't replace Stephenson, whoever plays QB is risking a serious injury.

Glades will probably like this - Mark Kiszla, the hack journalist from the Denver Post tried to place the blame for the Bronco's season on Siemian's shoulders. This guy, Kiszla, knows nothing about the game, just as he knew nothing about the situation at Colorado when he helped to pour gas on the fire to get rid of Barnett. Perhaps Kiszla doesn't know that it's pretty hard to throw completions when you're on your back. Amazing at the lack of game knowledge by some who write about the sport.
Stephenson worse than Bobbie Massey? That would be an accomplishment.

I read that and commented on it already. I don't know what he's looking at. Complete idiot.

Denver also needs a new NG and DT. Crick isn't stout enough.

All of these (OT's, OG, NG, DT, a quality pass-catching TE, and the starting RB healthy again) are more serious problems than Siemian.

Having an excellent day today, and praised by Phil Simms for the body of work that was his rookie season.

Kubiak announced he will resign today. Wonder what that means for Trevor's future. Kubiak is a sort of QB whisperer. Will the new administration go with Lynch? We'll see.

Wouldn't say that TS had an excellent day - had a decent game, but missed on some of his long throws.

Kubiak retiring may very likely end up having a major impact on Siemian's career w/ the Broncos (more on that later).

Elway made a great decision not to sign Osweiler. Broncos should stand pat with Lynch and Siemian and see who emerges.

Elway tried to sign Osweiler for pretty major $$; he just got lucky that the Texans were so desperate for a QB that they outbid the Broncos (along w/ Os being a bit miffed about having been benched).

I would feel bad for TS if he came here. This team sucks and cannot block. Trevor would get hurt.

I'd say that while not good, the Bears O-line is better than Denver's.

Only good O-lineman the Broncos have is their center, Paradis, and who knows how long he will be playing w/ 2 bad hips (is slated to get surgery).

The Broncos have playmakers at WR. They also have a defense that can create turnovers and shorten the field. The have a very good center, but their tackle situation is bad. Much more to work with in Denver.

The Broncos only have 2 playmakers at WR - DT and Sanders.

All season long, they've been looking for a 3rd receiver to step up (really need a good slot receiver), but none did (best of the bunch looks to be "Sunshine," but the Broncos coaching staff kept playing Norwood (who probably cost the Broncos 2 games), Jordan Taylor and Cody Latimer - which is why they kept 10 receivers on the roster (the Broncos need more speed at WR - who can also be the return guy).

Along w/ not having a threat at RB (not sure CJ Anderson was the answer either, before he got injured), the Broncos were looking for an answer at TE - both being crucial to the Kubiak O.

The Denver TEs (and 3rd receviers) dropped so many crucial 3rd down passes.

Derby looks to be the best of the lot at TE, but may not be a stud TE (that the division rivals have) and might be a good #2 TE.

Time is starting to run out on Heurman - who has trouble staying healthy.

This is supposed to be strong draft for TEs, so Elway may very likely end up taking a TE.

In addition to the tackle spots, the Broncos need to upgrade at the guard spots as well (guards are under-appreciated when it comes to pass protection; a QB needs to be able to trust his guards to step up in the pocket under pressure from the edge, but Siemian clearly did not trust his protection up the middle).

Schofield wasn't even average at guard, but he was better than Garcia - who was putrid.

Doubt that Elway will be able to fix all 4 spots on the O-line in one off-season, but if he up-grades at 1 tackle and 1 guard positions, would still be a good improvement for whomever ends up being the Broncos QB next season.

Now, w/ the retirement of Kubiak, the question as to who will be the starting QB for the Broncos next season is very up in the air.

If Kubiak had continued to be the coach of the Broncos, I'd say that Siemian in all likelihood would be starting QB next season, but w/ Kubiak gone, Siemian no longer has his biggest proponent and seems like Kubiak's health issues may not have been the lone reason for Kubiak stepping away.

Apparently, Kubiak met w/ Elway earlier in the week to talk about the QB situation for the last game of the season and in all likelihood, Kubiak came to compromise w/ Elway to start Siemian, but play Lynch later in the game (which, of course, did not happen).

The scuttlebutt is that Elway in his coaching search will be looking for a HC who will develop Lynch.

Tyler Polumbus stated that Mike McCoy would be a good possible replacement for Kubiak (having ties to the Broncos), except for that McCoy would likely pick Trevor over Lynch as his starter (as McCoy's playbook is significantly more complex than Kubiak's and Lynch had trouble picking that up).

Had a sense from the start that while Siemian was Kubiak's boy, that Elway was always enamored by Lynch's physical tools (even if Paxton may not have the quick-learning ability that many of the elite QBs have - Brady, Brees, etc.).

So whom Elway ends up picking as the next HC for the Broncos will be a big indicator as to what future Siemian has w/ the Broncos.

In addition, there is scuttlebutt that Elway wanted Kubiak to make changes to his coaching staff (figure the OC, the O-line coach and maybe special teams) and Kubiak, being a loyal guy and not wanting to fire friends he has worked w/ for years, probably decided that the time was good to get out.

Despite all the issues on the offensive side of the ball, just a shame that the Broncos D fell apart in the 1st game against the Chiefs as the Broncos would be a dangerous team in the playoffs.

Stephenson worse than Bobbie Massey? That would be an accomplishment.
I didn't watch the Bears all year, so I can't comment on Bobby Massie. However, I watched all but one of the Broncos' games this year. Aside from Paradis, the Denver OL was the worst I have ever seen--even worse than NU's OL in recent years. There were times when Stephenson--or even worse, his backup Ty Sambrailo--barely managed to even lay a finger on a DE stampeding directly into Trevor. There was nothing schematic involved in these situations. It was just mano a mano, and the RT wasn't up to the task. Mind you, there were repeated breakdowns at other OL positions as well (other than C). The RT position was just spectacularly bad.

Trevor is not the second coming of Brady. He seemed prone to make one very bad decision every game, usually with disastrous consequences. But when the OL actually gave him a little time, he was pretty darn solid. He belongs out there. I would like to see what he can do behind at least an average OL and without all the nagging injuries that came with being pounded play after play. The receiving corps he worked with was a bit maddening. Sanders and Thomas could be absolutely stellar at times. But Thomas would often follow a circus catch with a flat-out drop. The TEs and the rotating third option at WR dropped a ton of balls. And all the injuries at RB left the Broncos with literally no running game for most of the season. Trevor is lucky to have received the opportunity to start, but unlucky about some of the other circumstances.

If the Broncos don't want Trevor anymore, I'd be happy to take him on the Bears. Trevor would end up being a 10 year starter for the Bears.

Wouldn't say that TS had an excellent day - had a decent game, but missed on some of his long throws.

Kubiak retiring may very likely end up having a major impact on Siemian's career w/ the Broncos (more on that later).

Now, w/ the retirement of Kubiak, the question as to who will be the starting QB for the Broncos next season is very up in the air.

If Kubiak had continued to be the coach of the Broncos, I'd say that Siemian in all likelihood would be starting QB next season, but w/ Kubiak gone, Siemian no longer has his biggest proponent and seems like Kubiak's health issues may not have been the lone reason for Kubiak stepping away.

Apparently, Kubiak met w/ Elway earlier in the week to talk about the QB situation for the last game of the season and in all likelihood, Kubiak came to compromise w/ Elway to start Siemian, but play Lynch later in the game (which, of course, did not happen).

The scuttlebutt is that Elway in his coaching search will be looking for a HC who will develop Lynch.

Tyler Polumbus stated that Mike McCoy would be a good possible replacement for Kubiak (having ties to the Broncos), except for that McCoy would likely pick Trevor over Lynch as his starter (as McCoy's playbook is significantly more complex than Kubiak's and Lynch had trouble picking that up).

Had a sense from the start that while Siemian was Kubiak's boy, that Elway was always enamored by Lynch's physical tools (even if Paxton may not have the quick-learning ability that many of the elite QBs have - Brady, Brees, etc.).

So whom Elway ends up picking as the next HC for the Broncos will be a big indicator as to what future Siemian has w/ the Broncos.

In addition, there is scuttlebutt that Elway wanted Kubiak to make changes to his coaching staff (figure the OC, the O-line coach and maybe special teams) and Kubiak, being a loyal guy and not wanting to fire friends he has worked w/ for years, probably decided that the time was good to get out.

Thanks for the excellent reports on Trevor this season.

I had a sense that Trevor was not the apple of Elway's eye, oddly enough, in the locker room video after his best performance against Cincinnati. While Lynch was impressive at times this season (Tampa Bay) and preseason, I don't think his strengths (taller and slightly better speed) are that much better than Trevor's, and he's well behind Trevor in footwork and passing accuracy. Trevor will also continue to improve, as he has in remarkable fashion since leaving NU, IMO. I certainly am no QB expert, but I question Elway's judgment on QB's here. Trevor played better this year than Osweiler (JE's first choice to the tune of $15M a year) from what I saw, and he's well ahead of Lynch right now. Plus, from what I can see, the players really like Trevor a lot, even the defensive players, who have been impressed with his toughness.

Anyway, Trevor has shown enough this season to be a starting QB in the NFL, IMO, or at least a top backup. If he stays healthy, his second contract in the NFL should be a big one...mid 8-figures for 3 years.

^ Thanks Glades.

Agree w/ you that while PL has better physical tools than Siemian, it's not that much better and for an NFL QB (as long as one has adequate physical tools), a QB's ability to master the playbook, make pre-snap reads of opposing defenses and make the quick, correct decision is more important - and Siemian is well ahead of Lynch in those areas (Trevor's ability to pick up a playbook is supposed to be top-tier and the word is that Lynch had trouble picking up what is basically a pretty simple playbook by NFL standards).

Elway gets credit for the SB (having made all the right moves in building that defense), but he hardly has been perfect on the offensive side of things, missing badly on building the O-line (and the Broncos still have yet to find an answer at TE or a 3rd/slot receiver and don't exactly have a top running threat, even if CJ Anderson had stayed healthy).

But like many star athletes and GMs, Elway has an ego and a big part of that wants to see his #1 draft pick succeed as an NFL QB.

Here's a good video of Siemian mic'd up by NFL Films (w/ a couple of close-ups of some of the hits Siemian has taken this season - ouch; speaking of which, Siemian is getting surgery to repair that AC joint).

Trevor needs to stay healthy for a few more seasons.

There is a tremendous difference between the evaluations of Siemian coming from media clowns and guys who've coached the game or other QB's in the media who have strapped it on in the NFL. Siemian has had a frustrating but good first season as a starter in the NFL. The weaknesses and needs for this team are obvious, and Trevor (and Lynch) are well down that list after this season. Elway has said that as well. Obviously, Trevor has a huge step up on Lynch right now. It will be interesting to follow Elway and the competition between Trevor and Lynch up until next season.

Again, I think he has a bright future in the NFL after watching him this season. The dude is "cool, calm, and collected".

You really think Denver would trade him for a mid level pick to the dumbest organization in NFL? Denver would be licking their chops. More likely it would cost the Bears a 1st and second an Denver would be headed to another SB

You really think Denver would trade him for a mid level pick to the dumbest organization in NFL? Denver would be licking their chops. More likely it would cost the Bears a 1st and second an Denver would be headed to another SB
Well I love Trevor and think he's acquitted himself quite respectably this year, but I would say he isn't yet worth the #3 overall pick in the draft. If someone were picking in the 10-15 range, probably that some additional draft capital further on might be a reasonable price. That said, I don't think Denver is looking to move him.

No I don't. It was mostly an effort to make fun of Jay Cutler, who would have preceded Trevor in coming over from Denver and who most certainly did not carry the Bears to previously-unseen heights.

Well I love Trevor and think he's acquitted himself quite respectably this year, but I would say he isn't yet worth the #3 overall pick in the draft. If someone were picking in the 10-15 range, probably that some additional draft capital further on might be a reasonable price. That said, I don't think Denver is looking to move him.
From what I have read, they have him locked in at a bargain price for a while.

There is a tremendous difference between the evaluations of Siemian coming from media clowns and guys who've coached the game or other QB's in the media who have strapped it on in the NFL. Siemian has had a frustrating but good first season as a starter in the NFL. The weaknesses and needs for this team are obvious, and Trevor (and Lynch) are well down that list after this season. Elway has said that as well. Obviously, Trevor has a huge step up on Lynch right now. It will be interesting to follow Elway and the competition between Trevor and Lynch up until next season.

Again, I think he has a bright future in the NFL after watching him this season. The dude is "cool, calm, and collected".

Yep - as I have been saying, there's striking difference of opinion on Siemian from those who have strapped it on in the NFL and talking heads (idiots) like Cowherd, Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless (how could one brother seem so cool and other one, a complete a-hole?), Adam Schein, etc.

Loved it when Smith kept harping on how Elway made a huge mistake in letting Osweiler go and Merril Hoge shut him right up by saying that Siemian is the better QB; then Smith tried to backtrack and save face by saying that Osweiler would have played better if he had stayed in Denver, but Hoge shut him down again and stated that wouldn't have played as well as Siemian.

Speaking of which, Elway clearly wanted Osweiler back in Denver, but just was outbid by Houston.

There has been some talk in Denver about Elway maybe wanting to have his 2nd round draft pick continue as a starter, but Kubiak having little of that and finding a way to get Manning back under center (where he stayed).

If there's truth to that - then interesting in how Kubiak went with the guy he thought gave the Broncos the best chance to win over Elway's draft choice 2 seasons in a row.

Now, while I think Elway is interested in finding a head coach who will have developing Lynch high on his to-do-list, think that Elway isn't the fool where he would insist that Lynch start over Siemian is his new HC thinks Siemian gives them the best chance to win.

Trent Dilfer and others are stating that Lynch may not be ready for another season (and this would particularly be true if the new OC has a more complicated O than what Kubiak ran).

There's also been talk in Denver that the QB situation is untenable, even toxic - and that it would be best to trade one of the young QBs (most likely Siemian), but can't see why Elway would do that since he doesn't know if Lynch is his QB of the future and has Siemian for real cheap for another couple of years (unless a team offered Elway a great deal).

Someone put together Siemian's highlights for the season (pretty good job aside from the choice of music).

Wish more Broncos commentators/bloggers were as rationale and knew as much about football as this guy, Brandon Perna.

Totally agree that one of the things Siemian needs to work on is to trust his receivers and throw to a location and not wait until he sees them get open.

Gotta love all the idiots who blamed Siemian for the 3-and-outs in the 1st half of the 1st Raiders game, nevermind that on separate drives, he had 3rd down passes dropped.

Here's Football Outsiders rankings of O-lines.

The Broncos had the 18th ranked run blocking O-line and the 27th ranked pass protection O-line.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

And all the talk about Siemian being nothing but a dink and dunk or game manager QB was silly as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...m-newton-leads-nfls-top10-most-aggressive-qbs

10) Trevor Siemian, Denver Broncos (20.8 percent of his passes)

Trevor Siemian's name appearing at the tail end of this list is likely a surprise for most. However, this should go to show just how much more was asked of Siemian in 2016 than the Broncos could have ever possibly hoped for, as they likely never envisioned a scenario where they would need him to throw 20.8 percent of his passes into tight coverage. With the collapse of both Denver's running game after C.J. Anderson's injury and the overall woes of the pass protection, Siemian needed to make more difficult throws in aggressive situations than originally anticipated. To his credit, he responded well and his 48 completion percentage on tight window throws was the sixth-best among starting quarterbacks. Even the short throws became high-degree of difficulty ones for the Broncos quarterback. His 18.4 tight window percentage on passes that traveled less than 10 air yards was the eight-highest, but again, his 58.9 completion rate on those throws ranked inside the top-five. Siemian has some flaws in his game, there's no doubt about that, but you can take many positives from his time as the starter which saw more on his plate than originally planned for. The next head coach in Denver has to at least wonder if Siemian's 2017 season will be even better if the offense is stabilized around him, and perhaps a big move for a Tony Romo-type player is not necessary.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT