ADVERTISEMENT

SIU @ NU Prediction Thread

rmndcat

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2009
NU met its out of conference nemesis last week, falling to Duke after a comeback that almost worked. Duke has regularly tripped the Cats early in the season, even in some of the Cats' good years. For what it's worth, NU is still 1-0 in B1G play.

The Cats should be able to bounce back against the SIU Salukis, but how hard will it be?

Time to prognosticate.

Dogs 23
Cats 34

Is SIUs WR still out? That's an offense with some solid players that when clicking is good. That said they were bad week 1 when I watched.

Reactions: rmndcat
Come out of the locker room ready to play.I want to see us jump on the Salukis right from the get go.Purdue,Michigan State and State Penn annihilated their respective opponents like SIU last week.At least a 24 point win.I do not want to see Fitz take the foot off the gas pedal.Also play a bunch of guys which we can do when you blow someone out.
NU Cats Of The Wild 47
Salukis Doggies 13.

He's back, Cox, 2 TD last week.

Williams is a massive RB who they have some diverse packages for. Has NFL looks as an HBack.

Baker is like 5-7 but slings it

Is SIUs WR still out? That's an offense with some solid players that when clicking is good. That said they were bad week 1 when I watched.
They’re generally healthy.

SIU does indeed have a pretty good FCS spread em out offense with some quick, but small, WRs, a very large RB (who they sometimes ignore), and a QB who can distribute effectively (but is also want to throw badly timed ints). However, their offense hasn’t been quite as deadly this year as the last couple when they were top 10, and their defense is a train wreck. NU ought to be able to score a lot of points with impunity and physically dominate most of SIU’s offensive players. Their quick WRs can get a few plays, but it should be NU control in the 35-13 sort of range.

We scored 31 against UNL and were a yard away from 31 against Duke, so I think we get that many against SIU. But I still think our defense is slow and porous.

NU 31
SIU 21

They’re generally healthy.

SIU does indeed have a pretty good FCS spread em out offense with some quick, but small, WRs, a very large RB (who they sometimes ignore), and a QB who can distribute effectively (but is also want to throw badly timed ints). However, their offense hasn’t been quite as deadly this year as the last couple when they were top 10, and their defense is a train wreck. NU ought to be able to score a lot of points with impunity and physically dominate most of SIU’s offensive players. Their quick WRs can get a few plays, but it should be NU control in the 35-13 sort of range.
Agree they ignore Williams far too much. He's very versatile

Agree they ignore Williams far too much. He's very versatile
To armchair coach, it isn’t unheard of for a pass happy, spread offense, former QB of a head coach to forget his RB exists for stretches to his own determent. Hell, NFL teams do that all the time, the Packers did it for years. Even when a run makes sense, there’s always some shiny pass concept you think is set up very cleverly to dial up.

Anyway though, while he’s big, I don’t think he presents the same physical mismatch at the point of attack vs NU that he does in FCS play. Good player though.

Ugh, I just don't care. Last season SIU might have won. They seem to be bad this season, so they shouldn't.

Reactions: NUCat320
I think this is one of those games where Fitz tells the offense "Look I don't want to be going for it on 4th down against SIU" so we end up kicking a few field goals that we normally wouldn't even attempt.

NU 37
SIU 17

Reactions: drewjin
Didn't SIU get hammered by Incarnate Word? If we do not beat them by 30+ points we will be a laughing stock.

Reactions: mountaindrew
Didn't SIU get hammered by Incarnate Word? If we do not beat them by 30+ points we will be a laughing stock.
Incarnate Word also beat FBS Nevada, so they appear to be one of the best FCS teams this season. They put up 55 points on Nevada.

Northwestern lost to Nevada last time they played.

• Wow
We lost to them in 2006, which was the game I remembered. I had totally forgotten that we played them in 2017. In fact, I still don't remember that game even after being reminded of it.
Trust me, you're better off not remembering. We had to rally to win.

• Sad
I can never figure NU out, no matter the opponent. Always makes life interesting. But I would like for them to exceed the spread for once!

Yes Sir. Ditto. Hoping for a big show by our offense, but I don't expect it. Not really sure what to expect from our D against SIU. But until I see us play like we're capable of against a Goof Team....

NU 27
SIU 20

Yes Sir. Ditto. Hoping for a big show by our offense, but I don't expect it. Not really sure what to expect from our D against SIU. But until I see us play like we're capable of against a Goof Team....

NU 27
SIU 20
I'm very confident we will be able to run the football.
We will score a lot of points.
Hull and Porter may each run for 150 yards, but I expect us to go over 300 yards rushing.

The key is how well our DBs play. If they play well and we pressure the QB, SIU should not score more than 13.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT