ADVERTISEMENT

Skowronek transferring to Notre Dame

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, this is one that I cannot understand.

Congrats to Ben on graduating, best of luck going forward, and thanks for the memories (especially November 10th, 2018!).
In my opinion Ben would still be with us if NU had dumped Mick at least a year earlier. May of our players had no use for him, including no less than JJTBC. Can't blame Ben for not returning to a team with no proven passing QB and a new OC. Ian Book has been an effective passing QB in a good system for a long time, and Ben has only one season left.

Reactions: Figrating
After last season, it looks like NU is starting over.

In addition, McCall seemed afraid to pass. While considering his options, Skowronek probably thought McCall would be at NU as long as Fitz.

Skowronek had good reason to look elsewhere. I wish he were still a Wildcat, but it's childish to resent his decision with "good riddance".

After last season, it looks like NU is starting over.

In addition, McCall seemed afraid to pass. While considering his options, Skowronek probably thought McCall would be at NU as long as Fitz.

Skowronek had good reason to look elsewhere. I wish he were still a Wildcat, but it's childish to resent his decision with "good riddance".

Team captain effectively quits on his team/teammates = good riddance.

Reactions: Rebel_
Team captain effectively quits on his team/teammates = good riddance.

You've had better takes.

He didn't quit on his teammates. He graduated from Northwestern, evaluated his options, and transferred after the season. He knows he has work to do to get to the next level and wants to take his best shot and so he wants to play in a system that uses the forward pass, rather than a system where the strength is the RBs/OL.

He got a scholarship, represented the program well, made some huge plays, graduated, got a Northwestern degree, and now he's taking a "Postgrad" year with hopes of playing at the next level.

Show me where denigrate the transfers who come INTO our program and then I'll believe this is more than 1) sour grapes or 2) a hatred of TSISB.

The first is weak. The second ....... eh, maybe I understand.

I don’t disagree with what your saying (RE: NU actually using any of these schemes), but you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Nobody outside of this board cares about this thread (and that’s the way it should be).

It can be fun to talk about things that won’t happen, especially when it’s actually about football stuff...like when some if us were dreaming of the college football playoff in October of 2015. This is the same sort of thing. Zero harm...in fact, if recruits are getting “scared off” by a silly thread from a bunch of nobodies discussing dated offensive schemes, I’d be more worried about what prospects the staff is recruiting.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with speculating/wondering what the wishbone would look like at NU. Should posters stop linking media stories of Fitz turning down NFL jobs because an opponent’s coaching staff could say “look at all the interest Fitz is getting from NFL-he may not be there much longer”?

Silliness.

PS - No need to explain Navy. I understand why the midshipmen do what they do.

In many ways, coach Ken and Fitz are similar. Not only in character and how they value their players, but also in attention to detail/execution and use of analytics.
Since you posted such a rational response... perhaps we should consider the Spinning Wing-T, where the QB is required to block and act as a decoy? No lesser an offensive mind than Gus Malzahn of Auburn implemented it in recent game against Clemson (article below).

Perhaps Bowser could fill the role of the spinning fullback. This would also negate our need for a pass-catching TE and a vertical passing game. Plus Sparty will never see it coming...

https://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2016/9/7/12823856/auburns-single-wing-spinning-fullback-series

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Since you posted such a rational response... perhaps we should consider the Spinning Wing-T, where the QB is required to block and act as a decoy? No lesser an offensive mind than Gus Malzahn of Auburn implemented it in recent game against Clemson (article below).

Perhaps Bowser could fill the role of the spinning fullback. This would also negate our need for a pass-catching TE and a vertical passing game. Plus Sparty will never see it coming...

https://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2016/9/7/12823856/auburns-single-wing-spinning-fullback-series

Missed that article, thanks for the share!

Enjoyed watching Nagy bust out the wing T (even if only for posterity) with the Bears the last two openers.

I’ll die on this hill, if you’ll excuse my mixed metaphors.

The bad look is a team captain leaving with eligibility on the table.
I don’t recall whether he was a captain, but Anthony Walker wore #1 during his final season in Evanston.

He accomplished his goals in Evanston, and then made the best decision for himself — abandoned his classmates, with a year remaining. Skowronek is doing exactly the same thing.

With a settled offensive attack and an entrenched quarterback, Notre Dame is an objectively better situation for a wide receiver. He’d be an idiot not to make the move.

I don’t recall whether he was a captain, but Anthony Walker wore #1 during his final season in Evanston.

He accomplished his goals in Evanston, and then made the best decision for himself — abandoned his classmates, with a year remaining. Skowronek is doing exactly the same thing.

With a settled offensive attack and an entrenched quarterback, Notre Dame is an objectively better situation for a wide receiver. He’d be an idiot not to make the move.

...and Walker went pro. Very different.

Reactions: Rebel_
In retrospect, naming Skoronek captain was a mistake. Not because he is a bad guy but because NU deserves better from someone that they made one of their own. That is a two-way street for loyalty.

In retrospect, naming Skoronek captain was a mistake. Not because he is a bad guy but because NU deserves better from someone that they made one of their own. That is a two-way street for loyalty.

GMAB. If another team's captain came to NU under the same exact circumstances, I wouldn't expect we would hear one negative peep about it.

This is homerism at its worst.

Can we please stop discussing this nonsense about the wishbone, veer or triple option, at least on the public boards. It's never going to happen, it's unnecessary and it's harmful to the program. Just the kind of fodder other programs need to disparage NU to prospective recruits.
Northwestern does not want (or at least should not want) any recruit would would even be slightly deterred from choosing Northwestern because amateur fans on a message board mention the wishbone, veer, or triple option. That suggestion is ridiculous, especially when we just hired an OC who does not run those offenses. Simply mentioning them on a message board dis not "harmful to the program".

I hope Fitz doesn't fire Springer because you'd lose yet another target for your negativity, but then again, I'm sure you'd find a new coach to focus on. Happy New Year!
I think the same three coaches were in the crosshairs all along. Cushing, McCall and Springer.

Northwestern does not want (or at least should not want) any recruit would would even be slightly deterred from choosing Northwestern because amateur fans on a message board mention the wishbone, veer, or triple option. That suggestion is ridiculous, especially when we just hired an OC who does not run those offenses. Simply mentioning them on a message board dis not "harmful to the program".

The repeated, ridiculous, suggestions by NU fans on this board that Northwestern should consider switching to one of these offensive schemes coming on the heels of a horrendous season marked by a terrible offensive performance, the firing of our OC, uncertainty with our QB depth chart, the transfer of one of our captains and best WRs and the loss of our top skill position recruit is not helpful to the program. It helps reinforce the erroneous perception that NU is not a program that top offensive recruits should consider. It’s a perception that Purdue used to convince Yassen’s father that his son should flip his commitment. If that’s not obvious to you, then I can’t help you.

Part of the reason I prefer college football to the pros is that there tends to be more "loyalty" among players and fans (and some coaches, like Fitz) - your school is your school and until recently there were few exceptions to that, but with the transfer portal and other dynamics in play, I realize things are changing very quickly. Can't blame Skowronek for flipping - new OC, new schemes, nothing clear on the QB situation...disappointing, but the circumstances...I get it.

He has moved on, and so should we.

Reactions: No Chores
He was loyal. I think I'll side with the players who voted for him because they know better than you and other posters. And I think JJTBC and other NU icons who gave him a shout out after his decision know better than you.
Not so sure why you guys all have to keep a negative theme on this. His time with NU ended and you should all wish him the best. Sheesh

He was loyal. I think I'll side with the players who voted for him because they know better than you and other posters. And I think JJTBC and other NU icons who gave him a shout out after his decision know better than you.
Not so sure why you guys all have to keep a negative theme on this. His time with NU ended and you should all wish him the best. Sheesh
Where would he have ranked on the top 22 of the old Turk website next season and who could possibly replace him?

Top 5? Bottom 5? Could you let us know MrWickerpark?

Turk, I agree with you and Wicker.

I think this story has run its course and it is time to move on.

Reactions: No Chores
So - all of you. The most rational post in this mega-thread is from Turk.

I don't think I have anything else to say about it.

I think NU is considering a sale on season tickets. Buy a four set and get free tuition for a year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT