ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT-Another Scandal

YOU'D NEVER SEE THIS THING AT NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE!!!
When I was a student at North Central College in in the 70's there was a football player in our dorm who transferred from Wheaton to NC because of the hypocrisy he witnessed in how they recruited football players and turned a blind eye when the football players broke the codes.
Of course it was drinking and dancing in those days, but their team was never a bunch of angels.... Except Glades.

When I was a student at North Central College in in the 70's there was a football player in our dorm who transferred from Wheaton to NC because of the hypocrisy he witnessed in how they recruited football players and turned a blind eye when the football players broke the codes.
Of course it was drinking and dancing in those days, but their team was never a bunch of angels.... Except Glades.

I was joking, just kinda just taking a dig at Glades... While I was a senior in HS, NCC got in HUGE trouble for hazing on the baseball team. It got the head coach and assistant coaches all canned it was so bad. When I started with them my freshman year none of the seniors were allowed to play on our spring trip and a few kids got kicked off the team.

One of the freshman who got "hazed" (he claimed it was the most fun he ever had) heard he was on the front page of the Daily Herald with four handles of alcohol being poured down his throat, so he walked over to a gas station to grab one. He saw it was true and grabbed the whole stack of papers. When he went to pay the clerk looked at the paper, looked at him and said "just take them" after he realized it was him

Reactions: FightNorthwestern

North Central College had the worst cheatingest, holdingest, OL I had ever encountered in 9 years of football. Blatant holding and tackling on every play. Their star RB was in my class at NU and was kicked out of Northwestern for "poor behavior".

I didn't see any rampant breaking of the "pledge" but it happens. There were certain players that drank and danced against the strict rules there, but I never heard or saw it getting out of hand. Wheaton College is a rowdy place in some respects, more so than NU - instead of getting drunk or stoned (sedated) like students usually do at NU when I was there, students at WC wage wars against other dorms with pillow fights, eggings, water balloons launched with slingshots made of surgical rubber tubing and Clorox bottles, etc. I could go on and on about all the idiocy that went on there. Campaigning for student elections was crazy, with parades after Chapel involving all the junior high school bands, food fights erupting when candidates campaigned in the lunch room, fake assassination attempts on candidates heavy guarded by fake secret service agents by guys with masks and Supersoakers, etc! Groups try to outprank each other. The pranks are awesome!

All good clean American fun that Fitz would endorse...except occasionally it gets out of hand. For example, the campus police used to be comprised of folks who probably never fired a firearm in their life. People used to prank the campus police all the time: TP them, hit them with water balloons, set off M80's when they're sleeping behind the gym, etc. Well, one day, some football players who now run youth ministries or are pastors of churches grabbed a campus cop, handcuffed him to a tree, stole his squad car, and drove it into the North Side Park Lagoon. They were never caught.

This incident seems beyond anything I've heard of in its severity and the fact that it was against another teammate. It's a real dark mark on a program that has pumped out many fine missionaries, pastors, doctors, top researchers, US Attorneys, etc., and gave us "Let's roll" (Todd Beamer, hero of Flight 33), David Iglesias (the attorney depicted in "A Few Good Men"), and has tremendous outreach locally and to poor communities in Africa and South America. They do great work, but it's time to crack down on this rowdy, hazing crap!

Last edited:
North Central College had the worst cheatingest, holdingest, OL I had ever encountered in 9 years of football. Blatant holding and tackling on every play. Their star RB was in my class at NU and was kicked out of Northwestern for "poor behavior".

I didn't see any rampant breaking of the "pledge" but it happens. There were certain players that drank and danced against the strict rules there, but I never heard or saw it getting out of hand. Wheaton College is a rowdy place in some respects, more so than NU - instead of getting drunk or stoned (sedated) like students usually do at NU when I was there, students at WC wage wars against other dorms with pillow fights, eggings, water balloons launched with slingshots made of surgical rubber tubing and Clorox bottles, etc. I could go on and on about all the idiocy that went on there. Campaigning for student elections was crazy, with parades after Chapel involving all the junior high school bands, food fights erupting when candidates campaigned in the lunch room, fake assassination attempts on candidates heavy guarded by fake secret service agents by guys with masks and Supersoakers, etc! Groups try to outprank each other. The pranks are awesome!

All good American clean fun that Fitz would endorse...except occasionally it gets out of hand. For example, the campus police used to be comprised of folks who probably never fired a firearm in their life. People used to prank the campus police all the time: TP them, hit them with water balloons, set off M80's when they're sleeping behind the gym, etc. Well, one day, some football players who now run youth ministries or are pastors of churches grabbed a campus cop, handcuffed him to a tree, stole his squad car, and drove it into the North Side Park Lagoon. They were never caught.

This incident seems beyond anything I've heard of in its severity and the fact that it was against another teammate. It's a real dark mark on a program that has pumped out many fine missionaries, pastors, doctors, top researchers, US Attorneys, etc., and gave us "Let's roll" (Todd Beamer, hero of Flight 33), David Iglesias (the attorney depicted in "A Few Good Men"), and has tremendous outreach locally and to poor communities in Africa and South America. They do great work, but it's time to crack down on this rowdy, hazing crap!

https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=22519543

Reactions: Gladeskat
All five players are 21, or older. Ridiculous. Welcome to your new reality - felony convictions on your records for the rest of your dumbass lives. Although who knows, this might not be the first time to that rodeo for any one of these punks.

And I hope the victim makes Wheaton College pay until they bleed. Deep pockets, baby. Go for the juggular.

All good American clean fun that Fitz would endorse...except occasionally it gets out of hand. For example, the campus police used to be comprised of folks who probably never fired a firearm in their life. People used to prank the campus police all the time: TP them, hit them with water balloons, set off M80's when they're sleeping behind the gym, etc. Well, one day, some football players who now run youth ministries or are pastors of churches grabbed a campus cop, handcuffed him to a tree, stole his squad car, and drove it into the North Side Park Lagoon. They were never caught.

In my OP I did't intend to suggest that NC was anything special. As a transfer student I never had much connection with the football team I don't think they won many games in my two years. I did lift weights with the RB who seemed like a nice guy, he went on to be a world class body builder. (even 140 pounder can spot for a guy).

My point was that rule breaking is not new and football players too often gets a pass.

It's violent, thug behavior. What have they brought into the program?! I want to know how extensive this is within the program.

This behavior at an elite Christian Liberal Arts College! Chris Spielman's son? This is gonna get some major press. Another huge embarrassment for Wheaton College.

And I hope the victim makes Wheaton College pay until they bleed. Deep pockets, baby. Go for the juggular.
I don't think Wheaton College endorsed or approved of this. Just because they have an endowment doesn't mean they are culpable. I don't like your logic that justifies going after them because they have deep pockets. It's a big problem with American society, IMO.

Reactions: Bwm57
In my OP I did't intend to suggest that NC was anything special. As a transfer student I never had much connection with the football team I don't think they won many games in my two years. I did lift weights with the RB who seemed like a nice guy, he went on to be a world class body builder. (even 140 pounder can spot for a guy).

My point was that rule breaking is not new and football players too often gets a pass.

I never saw anyone "getting a pass" at Wheaton College when I was there. They accepted some transfers with relatively low academic standing when I was there, and there were some issues with at least one of these players. But that's the point, Wheaton did not give that player a "pass". In fact, they put an excellent, former D1 player (ULL) in the doghouse his entire senior year for drinking a beer (and some say, for being Catholic).

I never saw anyone "getting a pass" at Wheaton College when I was there. They accepted some transfers with relatively low academic standing when I was there, and there were some issues with at least one of these players. But that's the point, Wheaton did not give that player a "pass". In fact, they put an excellent, former D1 player (ULL) in the doghouse his entire senior year for drinking a beer (and some say, for being Catholic).

Regarding rules-breaking, a certain percentage of WC students broke "the pledge". Spitballing, I'd say 30% did in one way or another when I was there. Perhaps the jocks were well represented in the 30% that did, I don't know, I didn't go to drinking parties. I certainly knew of a few who liked to enjoy a beer or two or a pinch of Copenhagen. However, if they would have been caught, they would have faced a hearing with the spinster Associate Dean of Students (=Dean Wormer).

That said, I don't know what the heck is going on there now aside from what I read in alumni newsletters. They've been a very successful DIII program for a decade or so now. They also seem to do an excellent job at community outreach. Maybe a few "turds" have entered the program recently. I want to know how extensive this is.

They should have been immediately suspended, if not expelled from school. Wheaton College authorities allowed three of the suspects to play this season (Deering is right). I didn't realize that this had happened and had been investigated a while ago. "Let's roll" some heads of authorities?

They should have been immediately suspended, if not expelled from school. Wheaton College authorities allowed three of the suspects to play this season (Deering is right). I didn't realize that this had happened and had been investigated a while ago. "Let's roll" some heads of authorities?
Yeah, you're right; I didn't realize it happened back in March 2016. And Wheaton took no action against the perps until September 2017? That's difficult to justify.

It's violent, thug behavior. What have they brought into the program?! I want to know how extensive this is within the program.

This behavior at an elite Christian Liberal Arts College! Chris Spielman's son? This is gonna get some major press. Another huge embarrassment for Wheaton College.

The Wheaton coaching staff and administration knew about this and buried it. That is the greater scandal. James 3:1. This isn't an "embarassment". It is a participation in evil. At the highest level. They have completely lost their way.

The Wheaton coaching staff and administration knew about this and buried it. That is the greater scandal. James 3:1. This isn't an "embarassment". It is a participation in evil. At the highest level. They have completely lost their way.

Yes, let's overreact without knowing the details. Maybe this is a kid is a tattletale wuss and a liar (his roommate says he already had torn shoulders from playing at Wabash College) and his father are planning to bear false witness (!) so they can score some free surgery for preexisting injuries and perhaps a brand new bass boat and camper-trailer. Maybe several private, administrative, and police investigations indicated nothing criminally serious happened except a wuss overreacted to some hazing. Hazing is not good, but another student had zero problem with it, is still with the team, and from reports, he actually enjoyed it.

WC administration was tough on punishing athletes who broke the pledge and code of honor in the past when I was there. If they were pushing this under the rug so as to achieve football glory, it would be a major shift in position from the Wheaton College that I knew.

I've become very skeptical about this incident. Things don't add up. Nobody knows right now what will come out in court.

You drank a beer????

Yes, let's overreact without knowing the details. Maybe this is a kid is a tattletale wuss and a liar (his roommate says he already had torn shoulders from playing at Wabash College) and his father are planning to bear false witness (!) so they can score some free surgery for preexisting injuries and perhaps a brand new bass boat and camper-trailer. Maybe several private, administrative, and police investigations indicated nothing criminally serious happened except a wuss overreacted to some hazing. Hazing is not good, but another student had zero problem with it, is still with the team, and from reports, he actually enjoyed it.

WC administration was tough on punishing athletes who broke the pledge and code of honor in the past when I was there. If they were pushing this under the rug so as to achieve football glory, it would be a major shift in position from the Wheaton College that I knew.

I've become very skeptical about this incident. Things don't add up. Nobody knows right now what will come out in court.
Over the course of this thread, I have to agree with Glades here. Things seem more complicated than a first glance would reveal. Hazing is stupid, that is for sure. Intent and supervision is move complicated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT