ADVERTISEMENT

Local NU Reporting: A Caution

GoUPurple

May 29, 2001
www.hailtopurple.com
I just saw a thread from the end of last month that posted a link to a local reporter's article about the hazing scandal. That thread is now locked to replies.

It's likely that we'll see more articles from this same reporter, and they will probably defend Coach Fitzgerald-- as long as that defense also puts NU and the NU administration in a bad light. Now, make no mistake, I'm not implying that the admin doesn't deserve a heavy dose of criticism. However, please be aware that this reporter has a very strong bias against both the school and the football program.

Also, be aware that the reporter in question has a history of deceit. He has appeared on message boards in the past, under multiple aliases. During his first assignment on the NU beat years ago, he would appear on message boards under one fake name, post a link to his articles (typically blasting Randy Walker, the program, and the university), then praise the articles (and insulting any replies critical of the article) using other fake names.

It's important to consider this when reading ongoing coverage.

For a time, his articles were good, and he has some writing talent. I actually enjoyed his articles. They were colorful. Then, suddenly, his articles turned relentlessly negative and hostile. It was very strange and I never understood it. I assumed he just decided that his talents were wasted on the NU beat, but maybe there was more to it.

I remember he posted under the handle oddwiz and got into a sparring match with @Gladeskat.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoUPurple
I just saw a thread from the end of last month that posted a link to a local reporter's article about the hazing scandal. That thread is now locked to replies.

It's likely that we'll see more articles from this same reporter, and they will probably defend Coach Fitzgerald-- as long as that defense also puts NU and the NU administration in a bad light. Now, make no mistake, I'm not implying that the admin doesn't deserve a heavy dose of criticism. However, please be aware that this reporter has a very strong bias against both the school and the football program.

Also, be aware that the reporter in question has a history of deceit. He has appeared on message boards in the past, under multiple aliases. During his first assignment on the NU beat years ago, he would appear on message boards under one fake name, post a link to his articles (typically blasting Randy Walker, the program, and the university), then praise the articles (and insulting any replies critical of the article) using other fake names.

It's important to consider this when reading ongoing coverage.

Thanks for the heads up. Oddly enough I found his recent articles to be very insightful. I hope he sheds more light on things. It’s important to have another perspective on things.

Who can forget the classic “bon mots and Brie” line? That was his, right? As far as negative reporters are concerned, at least he was highly entertaining. It was like being trolled by Wodehouse.

”Jeeves, what was that juicy description of the p’s in the a at Northwestern you uttered yesterday?”
”I fancy you are recalling my reference to the gentlemen as the bon mots and Brie crowd, sir.”
”Yes, precisely! That’s the one. I’m off to write my article now, Jeeves. Hold my calls.”

Last edited:
He’s got a direct line to Fitz at this point. His recent article essentially criticized this glorious eight-win season.

With Phillips in ACC land and Greenstein covering…gambling… Fitz to O’Donnell is our only current leaker-leakee relationship in Chicago media.

I don’t think there’s a beat reporter affiliated with a print publication that consistently covers the Cats.

I feel like oddwhiz lasted about three wacky days, I think in Shurna’s sophomore season (when Coble was gone).

For a time, his articles were good, and he has some writing talent. I actually enjoyed his articles. They were colorful. Then, suddenly, his articles turned relentlessly negative and hostile. It was very strange and I never understood it. I assumed he just decided that his talents were wasted on the NU beat, but maybe there was more to it.

I remember he posted under the handle oddwiz and got into a sparring match with @Gladeskat.
There’s a reason his articles and posts were nonsensical. The man was hardly a Fitz ally and I find it “odd” that people think Fitz is leaking info to O’Donnell.

I fondly remember HeraldCat back in the Barnet era and his excellent articles relating to Northwestern football. I even got to meet him at one of the tailgates. I assume HeraldCat, although from the same paper, is not the individual subject of this thread?

Last edited:
Reactions: GoUPurple
I find it “odd” that people think Fitz is leaking info to O’Donnell.
“Leaking” probably isn’t the correct word.

But it is pretty clear that O’Donnell is pushing an agenda and including some information that most logically came from a source close to Fitzgerald (such as that nugget about Fitzgerald being assessed a fee for an unreturned university key).

Reactions: IGNORE2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT