ADVERTISEMENT

So, are we improved, or is BGSU just that bad?

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
I don't know what lessons to take from today's game. Did any of you more knowledgeable football fans see anything that would indicate actual improvement, especially in the OL? (Schemes, teamwork, fewer mistakes, etc.) Or was our opponent simply inept?

Not necessarily mutually exclusive. I don't think Bowling Green State had any ability to exploit any of our weaknesses, but we were also a fairly well-oiled machine tonight, asserting our will over an inferior opponent...give no particular indication of how we will show up at Camp Randall in two weeks or against Penn State the week after that. If we can split the difference and win one of these two, I'll be a pretty happy fan.

Michigan State beat Bowling Green by a fairly convincing score, but if I remember right the score in that one was close well into the second half. It's probably the worst Bowling Green team in a while, but 678 yards is an impressive output for any game so I'd say it was a definite step up for NU. Certainly beats 7 points against an Illinois State team I"m sure was no better than this year's BGSU team. As others have said, it won't take long into our B1G schedule to figure out what kind of team NU will have this year.

After the horrendous Duke game playing a patsy at home like Bowling Green was exactly what you want.

I am also curious to get others thoughts on the OL performance. I was watching via BTN2Go with a bad connection so could not follow well but it seemed to me that JB Butler got more playing time.

I am also curious to get others thoughts on the OL performance. I was watching via BTN2Go with a bad connection so could not follow well but it seemed to me that JB Butler got more playing time.

Butler also started against Duke. I tend to think the line plays better with him on the field. Brings a "nasty" that the other guys don't have.

They must have done something right. That is too many points and yards not indicate that there were some well run routes, correct blocking assignments, proper containment, close coverage. I'm sure BG was as prepared and disciplined as they could be so if NU was screwing up, they would have taken better advantage. Having said that, once the momentum shifts to the home team it can be an avalanche.

The big fumble return was actually the result of bad coverage but the fumble turned that around. So a little luck too.

Nevada is essentially the same level as Bowling Green (they are ranked identically in Sagarin), so yes, there has been improvement, imo.

Butler also started against Duke. I tend to think the line plays better with him on the field. Brings a "nasty" that the other guys don't have.

To my relatively novice eye, I agree with this. Combined with Hance looking energetic at tackle, the blocking was pretty solid. Butler looks more physical at the point of attack than everyone else, upon a second watch.

I wonder if the experiment with rotating guys will soon end, and a lineup of Hance/Butler/North/Doles/Vogel OR Slater emerges.

Nevada lost at home to of all teams..........Idaho State 30-28. Idaho State!

If I'm not mistaken, Idaho and/or Idaho State are dropping back down to FCS (D1AA) soon.

If I'm not mistaken, Idaho and/or Idaho State are dropping back down to FCS (D1AA) soon.

Idaho State is already FCS, and they are not even a good FCS team. Awful loss for Nevada; We certainly made a jump yesterday from our play in the first two games.

Idaho State is already FCS, and they are not even a good FCS team. Awful loss for Nevada; We certainly made a jump yesterday from our play in the first two games.

Mike, thanks for the clarification. Can't keep track on who's leaving or entering FBS any longer. Too many changes over the years.

BGSU is not a good football team.

Real test comes in Madison
Is that like what we used to say to ourselves about NU's defense--BGSU made our QB look like Joe Montana (or whomever)? Maybe our QB is like Joe Montana?

Last edited:
I don't know what lessons to take from today's game. Did any of you more knowledgeable football fans see anything that would indicate actual improvement, especially in the OL? (Schemes, teamwork, fewer mistakes, etc.) Or was our opponent simply inept?
Yes

Must be due to the game film from our game. We showed how to handle the Nevada gimmick defense and Air Raid offense.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
To my relatively novice eye, I agree with this. Combined with Hance looking energetic at tackle, the blocking was pretty solid. Butler looks more physical at the point of attack than everyone else, upon a second watch.

I wonder if the experiment with rotating guys will soon end, and a lineup of Hance/Butler/North/Doles/Vogel OR Slater emerges.

So in other words, right back to where we started before all of this shuffling took place. That would be somewhat demoralizing from a fan's perspective.

So in other words, right back to where we started before all of this shuffling took place. That would be somewhat demoralizing from a fan's perspective.

It seems that Thomas is holding his own at LT so far. Saw Doles, arguably our best lineman, still getting confused on some blocking assignments. This unit still needs more work.

The teams we have beaten are a combined 0-6. Not great.
Keep in mind, we are two of the six. I think you're sample is too small to be meaningful. MSU was one of the teams that defeated BGSU, by less of a difference than we did. MSU won 35-10. We won 49-7, which could mean we beat MSU by 17?

Last edited:
Keep in mind, we are two of the six. I think you're sample is too small to be meaningful. MSU was one of the teams that defeated BGSU, by less of a difference than we did. MSU won 35-10. We won 49-7, which could mean we beat MSU by 17?

I am glad this is how sports works so I don't have to sweat that game!

But it's a fair point. NU came ready to play and won by a larger margin than we've seen from any of Fitz's teams. Something to build upon, no matter the opponent.

Hopefully we can say that after the MSU game.

I will give the coaches, including PF,, kudos for having the team ready to play, Clayton made some very nice throws, some of which seemed to be of the big boy nature.

BG was a very, very, very bad team, but the CATs needed the practice.

I will give the coaches, including PF,, kudos for having the team ready to play, Clayton made some very nice throws, some of which seemed to be of the big boy nature.

BG was a very, very, very bad team, but the CATs needed the practice.
Couldn't you have stuck a few more "verys" in there?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT