ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING So here's the story on new signee Kenny Soares

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
While he was new to us yesterday, it turns out that NU has been talking to Kenny Soares since his sophomore year. They always liked him as a player and he said NU was always a dream school. But NU never offered because he needed to get his grades up. He credits Bryan Payton of NU for really pushing him. "I'm a better student and a better person now, and they played a big part in that. I'm glad they did."

He had committed to Colorado in August and was all set to sign when NU called out of the blue over the weekend and said a spot had opened up (Denis Jaquez's decommitment). They requested his transcripts and scores. Then, on Tuesday night, Fitz, Long and JON called and offered him a scholarship. He didn't commit on the spot, but talked to his family and coaches, and then Colorado's coaches to let them know. Then, about two hours after the initial call, he called Fitz back and committed. "It was the craziest 24 hours of my life," he said. "It was a whirlwind. Everything happened so fast."

NU is recruiting him as a "defensive athlete." They will start him out as a hybrid OLB/DE but may move him around to different LB positions to see where he fits best. He had offers as an ATH (offense or defense), TE or LB. He's also enrolling early in January.

Great story. Great kid.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News