ADVERTISEMENT

So I own this bank

ManhatCat

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2023
And I have hired this hot shot finance guy to run the entire operation. At the time I hire him we both are aware that money laundering is a widespread problem in the banking industry. In fact, another bank on the same block was just fined more than $100 million for its failure to implement AML measures, we'll call this bank Danske Bank. Three years go by and uh oh, the SEC comes knocking with an order and subpoenas. My bank gets the Danske Bank treatment because my hot shot finance guy failed to implement AML safeguards. What should I do about my finance guy? What do you think my shareholders want to do with my finance guy?

I experienced hazing in the 1980s in the sports context. I was not at all surprised when it happened because I knew that hazing was widespread. Fitzgerald knew this too when he was a player and later when he went into coaching. Hell, in 2006 the entire soccer team was suspended for the year for hazing violations. Fitzgerald was absolutely on notice that hazing on sports teams was widespread. No one in the administration since his firing has come forth and listed the measures that Fitzgerald implemented to prevent hazing in a football program that was in his complete control. Fitzgerald has also apparently not spoken to the administration, or the law firm that was tasked with the investigation, the measures that he took to prevent this disgraceful conduct. He failed to do what was so obviously necessary just like my finance guy. And like my finance guy, he got shown the door.

I have also read posts about some individual players denying that hazing occurred but also stating that some "weird stuff" occasionally happened in the locker room. My read, hazing can also be "weird stuff". Additionally since our graduates are generally a pretty smart lot they are aware that hazing is illegal in Illinois. Tell me who would admit to committing an illegal act on a message board?

I would hope that the administration immediately undertake implementing the recommendations detailed in the open letter signed by 263 faculty members which is posted on the Daily Northwestern website. In the short term there is going to be some pain but I remain very optimistic about the future for this outstanding university, its students, and its sport programs.

He did implement measures to prevent hazing. He was one of the most vocal college coaches when it came to anti-hazing, he met with every player one-on-one each season, he established leadership councils, and he had an open door policy with everyone in the program which made him one of the most accessible coaches in the country. If any problem was brought to his attention, he'd call a team meeting and nip in the bud. With 17 years of a spotless track record and one of the country's highest graduation rates, he deserved the opportunity to fix the first blemish that's come up in his 17-year tenure.

Just because some players conducted hazing doesn't mean he didn't implement measures to prevent hazing.

And I have hired this hot shot finance guy to run the entire operation. At the time I hire him we both are aware that money laundering is a widespread problem in the banking industry. In fact, another bank on the same block was just fined more than $100 million for its failure to implement AML measures, we'll call this bank Danske Bank. Three years go by and uh oh, the SEC comes knocking with an order and subpoenas. My bank gets the Danske Bank treatment because my hot shot finance guy failed to implement AML safeguards. What should I do about my finance guy? What do you think my shareholders want to do with my finance guy?

I experienced hazing in the 1980s in the sports context. I was not at all surprised when it happened because I knew that hazing was widespread. Fitzgerald knew this too when he was a player and later when he went into coaching. Hell, in 2006 the entire soccer team was suspended for the year for hazing violations. Fitzgerald was absolutely on notice that hazing on sports teams was widespread. No one in the administration since his firing has come forth and listed the measures that Fitzgerald implemented to prevent hazing in a football program that was in his complete control. Fitzgerald has also apparently not spoken to the administration, or the law firm that was tasked with the investigation, the measures that he took to prevent this disgraceful conduct. He failed to do what was so obviously necessary just like my finance guy. And like my finance guy, he got shown the door.

I have also read posts about some individual players denying that hazing occurred but also stating that some "weird stuff" occasionally happened in the locker room. My read, hazing can also be "weird stuff". Additionally since our graduates are generally a pretty smart lot they are aware that hazing is illegal in Illinois. Tell me who would admit to committing an illegal act on a message board?

I would hope that the administration immediately undertake implementing the recommendations detailed in the open letter signed by 263 faculty members which is posted on the Daily Northwestern website. In the short term there is going to be some pain but I remain very optimistic about the future for this outstanding university, its students, and its sport programs.

Can you loan me some money??

He did implement measures to prevent hazing. He was one of the most vocal college coaches when it came to anti-hazing, he met with every player one-on-one each season, he established leadership councils, and he had an open door policy with everyone in the program which made him one of the most accessible coaches in the country. If any problem was brought to his attention, he'd call a team meeting and nip in the bud. With 17 years of a spotless track record and one of the country's highest graduation rates, he deserved the opportunity to fix the first blemish that's come up in his 17-year tenure.

Just because some players conducted hazing doesn't mean he didn't implement measures to prevent hazing.
You forget one thing. Anything slightly being seen as possibly inappropriate will be pounced on by the "gatekeepers" if you will. Reading about the "car wash" stuff, I find it hard to believe that only one or two guys were disturbed by it. IN an old post of mine from last season or after 2021, I speculated that Fitz seemed to have fostered a Club Med atmosphere. If this crap happened then all of that open door policy, being accessible stuff is just a mirage, and he has been on coast since after 2018. He has become too complacent and even arrogant it seems. The guy completely mailed it in the past couple of seasons, even in 2019. He got rid of his scapegoat for the 2019 debacle, and after the next season he lost his savior to retirement. My point is that he isn't all what we wanted so badly to believe about him.

You forget one thing. Anything slightly being seen as possibly inappropriate will be pounced on by the "gatekeepers" if you will. Reading about the "car wash" stuff, I find it hard to believe that only one or two guys were disturbed by it. IN an old post of mine from last season or after 2021, I speculated that Fitz seemed to have fostered a Club Med atmosphere. If this crap happened then all of that open door policy, being accessible stuff is just a mirage, and he has been on coast since after 2018. He has become too complacent and even arrogant it seems. The guy completely mailed it in the past couple of seasons, even in 2019. He got rid of his scapegoat for the 2019 debacle, and after the next season he lost his savior to retirement. My point is that he isn't all what we wanted so badly to believe about him.
Yeah, there is that.

The idea of the faculty named in that letter would oversee the football program is laughable.

Screwing students, rampant blowjobs for roles in theater dept, institutionally supported racism, sexism, and ageism in gender and ethnic studies departments has been well known for years. What a joke of a letter.

The holier than thou attitude of the faculty always makes me laugh cry

Screwing students, rampant blowjobs for roles in theater dept, institutionally supported racism, sexism, and ageism in gender and ethnic studies departments has been well known for years. What a joke of a letter.
The people demand details, and receipts!

Reactions: FeralFelidae
The idea of the faculty named in that letter would oversee the football program is laughable.

The holier than thou attitude of the faculty always makes me laugh cry
Is a rampant blow job, the way they do it in Sweden?

Let's not lose focus on the central problem facing the administration in view of Fitz having retained counsel which is can the administration justify the termination in a court of law? Apparently the administration cannot prove that Fitz actually knew as their own six month investigation did not establish that anyone reported anything to him. So can the administration actually prove in court that Fitz "should have known" which was the stated reason for the termination? Hopefully the BOT lasers in on that with its defense counsel. The BOT should be asking its counsel the three following questions right now: "in your opinion, and with what degree of certainty, can we prove Fitz should have known?, how specifically do you intend to do that? and worst case scenario if we can't, how much is our financial exposure? In my ideal world, I think that would lead to the BOT biting the bullet early on and resolving the issues with Fitz which would be the best result in the long run for both the university and the sports program,

Last edited:

This analogy is weak.
My detailed counter argument was deleted by our moderator, who is letting his personal feelings dictate his censorship. It is really unfortunate that legitimate discussion is being deleted.
Especially discussion about facts.

This analogy is weak.
My detailed counter argument was deleted by our moderator, who is letting his personal feelings dictate his censorship. It is really unfortunate that legitimate discussion is being deleted.
Especially discussion about facts.
Personal feelings have nothing to do with it, aside from my contention that anyone using the word "woke" in their arguments is being lazy. I also don't need threads to devolve into pedantic back and forth arguments.

Reactions: ManhatCat
Personal feelings have nothing to do with it, aside from my contention that anyone using the word "woke" in their arguments is being lazy. I also don't need threads to devolve into pedantic back and forth arguments.
Are you some sort of professor grading papers? People use lots of words around here that reveal lazy arguments. The way to conteract lazy arguments is with a solid rebuttal.

• Love
Reactions: Gladeskat
Are you some sort of professor grading papers? People use lots of words around here that reveal lazy arguments. The way to conteract lazy arguments is with a solid rebuttal.
Lazy words are one thing. "Woke" is a word with significant political underpinnings, and we've all pretty much agreed we don't want the sports boards to be littered with political mudslinging. If people are allowed to keep using "woke" around here in an insulting manner, then I'm going to share my definition of "woke" and I know a number of people won't like it. So, let's just leave it be.

Reactions: ManhatCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT