ADVERTISEMENT

So, is Northwestern young?

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
The ESPN announcers were making excuses for Northwestern, saying that they have been young these last two seasons. Last season, that's probably true, when most other teams retained their super-seniors.

Is Northwestern still young and, if so, for how much longer? Why aren't other teams having this problem?

The ESPN announcers were making excuses for Northwestern, saying that they have been young these last two seasons. Last season, that's probably true, when most other teams retained their super-seniors.

Is Northwestern still young and, if so, for how much longer? Why aren't other teams having this problem?
The announcers were just regurgitating what Fitz told them pregame

Yeah, the "young team" excuse is almost always just that, an excuse for a losing team.

There's no way to cover up for the fact that our team is extremely poorly coached and players are not developing the way we'd have hoped.

These things turn around pretty fast though; by year 2 or 3, you know what you have after changing a coach.

There's a reason a lot of coaches have won national championships in this sport in their 2nd or 3rd year on the job.

It's also why I don't buy youth as a reason for losing; a bad coach will have 5 or 6 straight losing seasons (see Scott Frost or Lovie Smith).

Bielema on the other hand is a good coach and has Illinois humming by year 2. I'm pretty sure those Illinois and Nebraska teams under Frost and Smith were called young many times, but it didn't mean anything.

Our problem is JON and Bajakian. They're easily the worst coordinator pair in FBS right now.

Last edited:
Yeah, the "young team" excuse is almost always just that, an excuse for a losing team.

There's no way to cover up for the fact that our team is extremely poorly coached and players are not developing the way we'd have hoped.

These things turn around pretty fast though; by year 2 or 3, you know what you have.

There's a reason a lot of coaches have won national championships in this sport in their 2nd or 3rd year on the job.

It's also why I don't buy youth as a reason for losing; a bad coach will have 5 or 6 straight losing seasons (see Scott Frost or Lovie Smith).

Bielema on the other hand is a good coach and has Illinois humming by year 2. I'm pretty sure those Illinois and Nebraska teams under Frost and Smith were called young many times, but it didn't mean anything.
How about dropping the entrance requirements to the level of OSU or PSU or Illinois?

Reactions: gingerkid
How about dropping the entrance requirements to the level of OSU or PSU or Illinois?
I mean we didn't have to do that before the last 2 years, so I don't think we have to do that now.

We're not trying to win the national championship, but at the same time, having a respectable team requires far superior coaching to what we have now.

JON and Bajakian need to be doing far better than what they're doing. I don't think JON is capable of being anything better than the worst defensive coordinator in the sport though.

we’ve recruited in the middle of the B1G consistently over the last few years. It’s not a talent issue as all these kids had multiple other offers from very strong schools.
Right?!?! I'm sick of the talent excuse. The coaches lack talent.

Edit: who hear thinks there is any excuse for having (clearly) worse talent than SIU and Miami?

Edit: who hear thinks there is any excuse for having (clearly) worse talent than SIU and Miami?
At least 3/4 to 4/5 of our players would be on other Power 5 squads if they weren't here.

SIU and Miami, I would be shocked if between them you find 20 guys with any Power 5 offers.

Doesn't mean that stars or offers or whatever is the be-all end-all. Texas A&M has a million 5 stars and they're losing a lot of games.

But a lot of the losing and underperformance/underdevelopment/undiscipline/"whatever you want to ascribe losing to" is on the coaching staff.

There probably isn't an FBS program that would trade either coordinator for one of ours.

Your estimate of not being able to find a total of 20 kids at Miami and SIU who had P5 offers is ludicrous. You obviously do not follow recruiting at even a rank amateur status. Almost all of the roster at Miami would have at least one P5 offer if not several. I have two brothers I coached at Miami and they had offers between them from Iowa, WV, Tulane, CSU, BC, and several others. This is the kind of info that is constantly posted here that is completely false. How many NFL players from Miami vs NU? They have talent. Look at their overall record vs NU!
Are you really saying that every player on Miami of Ohio had at least one if not several P5 offers? If so, you’re nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: phatcat
I didn't say every'
I didn't say "every", I said most. Check their little bios where it says chose Miami over... I think perhaps you might be really wrong on this. Do the research. I am definitely not nuts.
I checked their most recent recruiting class(current freshmen) and out of the 18 recruits 3 of them had a p5 offer. Not much need to look further than that.

And you said “almost all” which is pretty close to “every”.

Your estimate of not being able to find a total of 20 kids at Miami and SIU who had P5 offers is ludicrous. You obviously do not follow recruiting at even a rank amateur status. Almost all of the roster at Miami would have at least one P5 offer if not several. I have two brothers I coached at Miami and they had offers between them from Iowa, WV, Tulane, CSU, BC, and several others. This is the kind of info that is constantly posted here that is completely false. How many NFL players from Miami vs NU? They have talent. Look at their overall record vs NU!
This is completely wrong.

As @wildcatpn just stated, you'll find 2-4 of the top recruits in each class at Miami may have gotten 1 or 2 Power 5 offers. Very few beyond that will get Power 5 offers.

That's about it.

In aggregate SIU and Miami should not have more than 20 kids with P5 offers.

Yes Miami beat us, but they were also 16 point underdogs to Kentucky and lost to them by 24. They were 24 point underdogs to Cincinnati and lost to them by 21.

Northwestern playing Dark Ages level football says more about our program than theirs.

This is completely wrong.

As @wildcatpn just stated, you'll find 2-4 of the top recruits in each class at Miami may have gotten 1 or 2 Power 5 offers. Very few beyond that will get Power 5 offers.

That's about it.

In aggregate SIU and Miami should not have more than 20 kids with P5 offers.

Yes Miami beat us, but they were also 16 point underdogs to Kentucky and lost to them by 24. They were 24 point underdogs to Cincinnati and lost to them by 21.

Northwestern playing Dark Ages level football says more about our program than theirs.
See my follow up post, you're wrong as hell!!!

In their incoming 2022 recruits and transfers they have 15 players with P5 offers or transferring from a P5 program.
Hippenhammer from Penn St
Simmons from iu& cinc.
Tracy Iowa
Clark from Cinc
Rohrs from Cinc
Lukusa Cinc
Smith Purdue
Johnson IU transfer
Brunson VT transfer
Shuttle Iowa transfer
Morgan UK
Do well twin former NU commit MSU
Marshall IU transfer
Wise IU transfer
Johnson MD transfer
That is 15 kids in the 2022 recruiting class according to the 247 site. When would you like to apologize and admit you don't know what the hell you're talking about? In the other classes just the recruits and transfers from the State of Indiana put them well over 20. Don't try to bs me, I've been doing this seriously for many a year.
Listen dude, of course they will have more with the current transfer portal. Guys that never played at p5 schools will transfer to lesser programs to try and find a place to play. You’ve been doing this for many a year? That’s great but the transfer portal is new and you are saying that almost all of their players have had at least one and most multiple p5 offers for “many a year”. You are dead wrong.

And just fyi, Cincinnati is not a p5 offer.

See my follow up post, you're wrong as hell!!!
The transfer portal era is new and yes this will likely mean that in the future they get guys from Power 5 programs.

That doesn't make your statements any less wrong.

And if you really can talk about this over decades, then you'd know that you were wrong to state it as such.

Regardless, us losing to them is not a talent issue. Losses to SIU and Miami of Ohio are not about talent. Poor coaching, execution, play, etc. We were favorites in both of those games on paper.

Loses to Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State? Yes, that's generally going to be about a big talent gap. We'll see the talent gap on display next week.

Reactions: nycat33
There were 15 in class of 2022!!!
Class of 2021: Williams BC IU UK MSU
Dawson asu, Iowa st
O'Hair Tulane
Blakey IU
Jados UK
Mozee KState
Class of 2020: Ware louisville, Mem
Curren wisc
Tracy bc, WV, csu, Tulane
Nicholson bc, Cinc
Afari Cinc louisville
Edwards Iowa
Murrsch Tulane
Boylan Memphis
Rush Kansas
Batiste tulane
And a quick check produces 16 more from classes of '21, '20. Be a man and admit you're horribly wrong. In total with redshirts, portal, and grad transfer they are easily above 50.
Will you admit you're horribly wrong about the 2 things below?

1) "Almost all of the roster at Miami would have at least one P5 offer if not several"

2) And your insinuation that #1 has been the case for years when in reality, before the transfer portal, that was even more of a way off base comment.

Just more deflection! Where did I say anything except to answer that you couldn't find 20 P5 offers if you combined the current rosters of SIU and Miami. That is currently, not in previous decades. You're just dead wrong and can't admit it. Of course, alternative facts have become reality to many in the last five years.
I was not involved with the initial comment about 20 p5 offers. I questioned this comment by you....

"Almost all of the roster at Miami would have at least one P5 offer if not several."

That comment is completely false. Even with the recent transfers due to the portal MIami's current roster is still not close to having almost everyone with a P5 offer.

You're the one deflecting. You told Zeek55 he was an amateur in his knowledge on recruiting in your initial post, Followed up with an example of when you coached at Miami, which i'm assuming was way in the past which insinuates that you believe "almost all of the roster" also had at least one p5 offer back then. Which would be even more false than it is today because the portal didn't exist then.

So, just to put an end to this...

1). You are wrong when you say almost all of their current roster had at least 1 P5 offer and
2). You are even more wrong insinuating that was the case in the past when there was no portal

I was not involved with the initial comment about 20 p5 offers. I questioned this comment by you....

"Almost all of the roster at Miami would have at least one P5 offer if not several."

That comment is completely false. Even with the recent transfers due to the portal MIami's current roster is still not close to having almost everyone with a P5 offer.

You're the one deflecting. You told Zeek55 he was an amateur in his knowledge on recruiting in your initial post, Followed up with an example of when you coached at Miami, which i'm assuming was way in the past which insinuates that you believe "almost all of the roster" also had at least one p5 offer back then. Which would be even more false than it is today because the portal didn't exist then.

So, just to put an end to this...

1). You are wrong when you say almost all of their current roster had at least 1 P5 offer and
2). You are even more wrong insinuating that was the case in the past when there was no portal
I can't believe we must squabble over whether Miami Hydroxide is a recruiting powerhouse. It's like we accept losing 4 in a row to Duke and that THEY somehow have "better talent". We won the B1G West 2 of 3 years and now we suck and are gong to be 1-11. NOT OK!!

• Angry
Reactions: drewjin
Just more deflection! Where did I say anything except to answer that you couldn't find 20 P5 offers if you combined the current rosters of SIU and Miami. That is currently, not in previous decades. You're just dead wrong and can't admit it. Of course, alternative facts have become reality to many in the last five years.
I'll admit I was wrong on that statement as it pertained to the whole team; I meant as it pertained to recruits but of course no current team is just made of past recruits (given transfers).

Still, you're the one who's been going on about the talent at Miami of Ohio at all places.

We should not be comparing talent levels here to talent levels there. It's 2 completely different levels of this sport. Players that don't work out at the Power 5 level transfer there.

We recruit players that potentially should be able to succeed at the Power 5 level because we are a Big Ten program. Recruits choose Northwestern over other Power 5 programs for that reason. Those are 2 entirely different points in player recruitment.

SIU would lose 11 or 12 games a year if they were in the Big Ten with their current resources/talent. Miami of Ohio would lose 10 or 11 or 12 games a year if they were in the Big Ten with their current resources/talent.

Why on earth do we want to be at the bottom of the barrel with those programs? Those are not programs that should be our benchmark by a long distance.

They also said JON was a good coach so hard to put much stock in anything they said

Are you really saying that every player on Miami of Ohio had at least one if not several P5 offers? If so, you’re nuts.
He was reacting to a post that indicated that between the two programs there were not 20. And actually Miami of Ohio had 7-8 transfers just last year out of P5 programs and several of their normal recruits had P5 offers.

Reactions: Rebel II
He was reacting to a post that indicated that between the two programs there were not 20. And actually Miami of Ohio had 7-8 transfers just last year out of P5 programs and several of their normal recruits had P5 offers.
Thanks. And man has landed on the moon. You might want to read the rest of the posts in the thread.

I am so glad that you have such excellent reading compression!!! (Typical of the usual NU posters) I used to love the well written and thoughtful posts here, but losing has created a monsterous invasion of non rational, angry, and frustrated fanatics.

I am so glad that you have such excellent reading compression!!! (Typical of the usual NU posters) I used to love the well written and thoughtful posts here, but losing has created a monsterous invasion of non rational, angry, and frustrated fanatics.
Are you really that sensitive? I'm very sorry I implied that you might be "nuts". I shouldn't have said that. But, when I first read your post and you said that almost all of the roster at Miami had at least 1 P5 offer, it just struck me as something that was so wrong that I had to comment. Even though you were wrong you keep talking about non rational and angry people when it was simply an innocent post that was pointing out something that was wrong. Nothing more or less.

Are you really that sensitive? I'm very sorry I implied that you might be "nuts". I shouldn't have said that. But, when I first read your post and you said that almost all of the roster at Miami had at least 1 P5 offer, it just struck me as something that was so wrong that I had to comment. Even though you were wrong you keep talking about non rational and angry people when it was simply an innocent post that was pointing out something that was wrong. Nothing more or less.
Please read hdhntr1's reply. We are talking the 2022 roster not 1965 when TE Jim O'Brien' FG beat Purdue 17-14, lol.

Please read hdhntr1's reply. We are talking the 2022 roster not 1965 when TE Jim O'Brien' FG beat Purdue 17-14, lol.
I mean, are you just trolling me at this point? I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN REFERRING TO YOUR CLAIM THAT "ALMOST ALL OF THE ROSTER AT MIAMI WOULD HAVE AT LEAST ONE P5 OFFER". Their 2022 roster doesn't even come close to that claim. Let's just take their 2022 and 2021 recruiting classes that are on the roster right now. Including their 2022 class will help your percentage since it includes portal transfers. They have 49 players between those 2 classes. 32 of them did not have a P5 offer. That would mean about 34% received a P5 offer. If you consider that "almost all" then I guess we just don't agree on that definition.

I can't believe i'm still posting on this.

I mean, are you just trolling me at this point? I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN REFERRING TO YOUR CLAIM THAT "ALMOST ALL OF THE ROSTER AT MIAMI WOULD HAVE AT LEAST ONE P5 OFFER". Their 2022 roster doesn't even come close to that claim. Let's just take their 2022 and 2021 recruiting classes that are on the roster right now. Including their 2022 class will help your percentage since it includes portal transfers. They have 49 players between those 2 classes. 32 of them did not have a P5 offer. That would mean about 34% received a P5 offer. If you consider that "almost all" then I guess we just don't agree on that definition.

Drop it, IYKYK. Of their current roster of scholarship players ( transfers and recruits) 60+ of 85 had at least 1 P5 offers. End it, I disagree and I have the evidence. Transfer portal makes one hell of a difference. We didn't even talk about SIU who brought in 30 new players this year. To answer the question "the two together don't have 20 Kids with P5 offers" has been easily proven to be false. I guess you're as stubborn as Fitz. lol!!!

These things turn around pretty fast though; by year 2 or 3, you know what you have after changing a coach.

Our problem is JON and Bajakian. They're easily the worst coordinator pair in FBS right now.
Youth can definitely be a reason for poorer performance. The more seasoned starters are more physically mature and more important the have a better understanding of their assignments and where to go when things break down. Having multi year starters at key positions helps a lot and can be a key reason that coaches can suddenly have great years with a team that was not very good the year or two before. Would you rather have a Sr. Thorson, RCB, or Carr or them as Frosh? It isn't even close.

With developmental programs such as ours, having a young team can definitely be a handicap. But, that said, it is not everything and it is really does not appear the only reason we have been so poor over the last couple years.

we’ve recruited in the middle of the B1G consistently over the last few years. It’s not a talent issue as all these kids had multiple other offers from very strong schools.
We have tended to be in the bottom third year after year. Generally between 11-14. Some of that is because of smaller classes but reality is that we generally have less talent than our BIG opponents. And we have tended to do better than expected with the overall talent level of the program. The real key is often the depth that we are short on

Again the statement that he was countering was that there were not 20 players on both rosters that had so much as a single P5 offer. That they have 7-8 transfers just this year from P5 programs (and they are on the roster) suggests the statement was false. There were plenty of other higher profile offers as well. And that was in one single class at one of the two schools. Am I suggesting that they had more talent than we do? Heck no. But I would suggest that the talent gap might not be as great as people think. Especially if they are and upper class loaded roster with plenty of playing time vs us being relatively inexperienced at key positions.

No one is suggesting that we do not have more talent than Miami of Ohio or SIU. Just that the talent gap might not be as big as people assume. And experience at key positions can overcome inexperienced talent

No one is suggesting that we do not have more talent than Miami of Ohio or SIU. Just that the talent gap might not be as big as people assume. And experience at key positions can overcome inexperienced talent
did you see Venus de Milo playing QB for Miami?

Again the statement that he was countering was that there were not 20 players on both rosters that had so much as a single P5 offer. That they have 7-8 transfers just this year from P5 programs (and they are on the roster) suggests the statement was false. There were plenty of other higher profile offers as well. And that was in one single class at one of the two schools. Am I suggesting that they had more talent than we do? Heck no. But I would suggest that the talent gap might not be as great as people think. Especially if they are and upper class loaded roster with plenty of playing time vs us being relatively inexperienced at key positions.
Can any of you read? I don’t give a shit about his comment regarding 20 players on both rosters. I wasn’t claiming that wasn’t the case. I was strictly saying he is wrong when he says almost all of Miami’s players have at least one P5 offer. . That is blatantly false. I gave him evidence that in their last 2 classes there are 17 out of 49 players that had a p5 offer which means 32 didn’t. Then he responds with some BS about 60 out of 85 on their roster having received a p5 offer. Then he bitches about people and their misinformation.

Kudos!

I went to the 247 site and read the offer lists of every current roster player. About 70% of their roster had a P5 offer. Unless 247 is unreliable I am standing by the statement. I am simply passing on their info. Once again, read hdhntr1's two posts and drop it.
Funny, I went to that exact same site and in their 2019-2022 classes I count about 34 out of 94 with a P5 offer. Either one of us is really drunk or we don’t know what an offer means. Maybe we should hire a 3rd party consultant to come up with official numbers?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT