ADVERTISEMENT

So Lou, where is our 4th recruit?

I'm hoping for Yavuz Gultekin, personally. Yes, we need a guard, but personally I'm of the opinion that talent trumps all in CBB and we need as much talent coming in as possible and he's best available for us.

If we continue to bring in talent, next year bringing in talent at a position of need will be easier

I'm hoping for Yavuz Gultekin, personally. Yes, we need a guard, but personally I'm of the opinion that talent trumps all in CBB and we need as much talent coming in as possible and he's best available for us.

If we continue to bring in talent, next year bringing in talent at a position of need will be easier

I’m with you. I think you can find a guard on the transfer market every year but by nature of size being a more limited commodity I like the concept of recruiting a wing or big man over a ‘1’.

Reactions: Turk
Yes, NU should be all-in on Yavuz Gultekin. I think Maceo Austin filled more of a "need," but Yavuz is the more talented player right now and would need less time to develop. (David Roddy I guess is also a possibility, but his recruiting is confusing to me.)

As I believe Haywood and GONUII said in another thread, NU is already in on a couple of really strong 6'3" guard prospects in 2020. And there seems to be mutual interest, unlike some of the early offers in this class.

Get Yavuz, focus early and often on getting a grad transfer LG in 2019, and bring home your Top 50 starter in 2020 (though by that time Greer and/or Buie may have something to say about that).

I’m with you. I think you can find a guard on the transfer market every year but by nature of size being a more limited commodity I like the concept of recruiting a wing or big man over a ‘1’.

I disagree. We can't go anywhere without strong guards who consistently create for themselves and others. Given a choice of four guards or four wings, I'd take the guards. Look no further than Loyola's lineup last year.

Just want to go on record that “Pukecat” is a pretty great handle. That’s all.

Reactions: KATankerous
Yes, NU should be all-in on Yavuz Gultekin. I think Maceo Austin filled more of a "need," but Yavuz is the more talented player right now and would need less time to develop. (David Roddy I guess is also a possibility, but his recruiting is confusing to me.)

As I believe Haywood and GONUII said in another thread, NU is already in on a couple of really strong 6'3" guard prospects in 2020. And there seems to be mutual interest, unlike some of the early offers in this class.

Get Yavuz, focus early and often on getting a grad transfer LG in 2019, and bring home your Top 50 starter in 2020 (though by that time Greer and/or Buie may have something to say about that).

I would take either and be happy. I was leaning to Roddy only because he seems very different than what we have creating some more diversity. However, if I was predicting, I think Roddy stays home.

I disagree. We can't go anywhere without strong guards who consistently create for themselves and others. Given a choice of four guards or four wings, I'd take the guards. Look no further than Loyola's lineup last year.

Guards are a dime a dozen on the transfer market. That said, you take a Lathon type in a heartbeat but who like that is available? Better to bring in a transfer and develop
Greer in the meantime knowing you’re not expecting him to contribute much immediately.

On the topic you of transfers I was having a conversation with Idaho State’s coach the other day and he was talking about how bigger schools are picking off players from non-P5 schools. (Idaho State list a 7-foot C to Utah this year). He said P5 schools have coaches assigned to scout smaller schools for potential grad transfers. He said the ISU 7-footer is taking one graduate class this semester. Needless to say he's not going to get a masters degree taking one class a semester. I am happy that kids from smaller schools are getting an opportunity to play at a higher level after they get their degree but this certainly is not how the grad transfer program was supposed to work. I suspect coaches of smaller schools will be very reluctant to redshirt kids anymore.

On the topic you of transfers I was having a conversation with Idaho State’s coach the other day and he was talking about how bigger schools are picking off players from non-P5 schools. (Idaho State list a 7-foot C to Utah this year). He said P5 schools have coaches assigned to scout smaller schools for potential grad transfers. He said the ISU 7-footer is taking one graduate class this semester. Needless to say he's not going to get a masters degree taking one class a semester. I am happy that kids from smaller schools are getting an opportunity to play at a higher level after they get their degree but this certainly is not how the grad transfer program was supposed to work. I suspect coaches of smaller schools will be very reluctant to redshirt kids anymore.

Imagine if players could transfer without penalty. The MAC, the Summit, you name it, we would reload every year, as would the entire Big Ten. Who loses out? Not the kids and not the fans. If Non-P5 schools want to keep their kids, they have to treat ‘em well.

I’m for players moving freely. When we were students, we could go and study anywhere we were accepted. Why can’t kids take a scholarship offer wherever they want? With the coaches having multimillion dollar contracts and the schools making a mint, I don’t feel bad for instituions who would have to deal with the ‘chaos.’ They would get the tiniest violin from me.

I guess Shivas was never formally banned?

I think I was largely responsible for him being banned three different times and I’m pretty sure I know his current name. Good guy overall. You didn’t like him? Internet’s fun. Except for Turk talking with himself. That’s creepy.

Imagine if players could transfer without penalty. The MAC, the Summit, you name it, we would reload every year, as would the entire Big Ten. Who loses out? Not the kids and not the fans. If Non-P5 schools want to keep their kids, they have to treat ‘em well.

I’m for players moving freely. When we were students, we could go and study anywhere we were accepted. Why can’t kids take a scholarship offer wherever they want? With the coaches having multimillion dollar contracts and the schools making a mint, I don’t feel bad for instituions who would have to deal with the ‘chaos.’ They would get the tiniest violin from me.

I mean, if I paid $100,000 for the services of a basketball player and he left after a year to go play somewhere else, I'd be pissed too.

Are you serious? He has been banned under 15 different names. The most recent was just a couple of months ago. I will assume you were joking

I guess I don't really care enough to pay attention.

I think I was largely responsible for him being banned three different times and I’m pretty sure I know his current name. Good guy overall. You didn’t like him? Internet’s fun. Except for Turk talking with himself. That’s creepy.

It's not that I dislike anyone here. Some people just like to be annoying or overly negative, but that's what message boards are for I guess. In real life I bet most people are pretty interesting and good dudes or dudettes. Even Sponge Bob is probably a cool dude.

But why keep changing your handle?

I mean, if I paid $100,000 for the services of a basketball player and he left after a year to go play somewhere else, I'd be pissed too.
Can you believe Bowen got $25,000 to play for a AAU team as a HS soph? Imagine what Embiid, Durant, Simmons, and others got. This has gone on a long, long time back to Alcindor and I’m sorry but I think every head coach is probably implicated on some level even if it was when a guy was an assistant. I was a long time defender of Carmody and this was why. I can’t picture that guy buying a kid a Coca Cola. I kind of liked that about him. I’m still not really sure how to feel about Collins. I think they’re doing it the right way but not really knowing with certainty—well, should I care if everybody else is doing it?

Tell me how I should feel.

You can criticize Collins that he may not have handled every situation the proper way but there have been some instances where players handlers have asked for a handout to get the player to a school and he has refused. There were rumors about this about Moore a few years ago. He does the right thing for the most part and does not get himself in compromising positions like some of the other members of the coaching fraternity.

Last edited:
I guess I don't really care enough to pay attention.

It's not that I dislike anyone here. Some people just like to be annoying or overly negative, but that's what message boards are for I guess. In real life I bet most people are pretty interesting and good dudes or dudettes. Even Sponge Bob is probably a cool dude.

But why keep changing your handle?

To make it seem like there is a groundswell of support for your repetitive thoughts.

Last edited:
You can criticize Collins that he may not have handled every situation the proper way but there have been some instances where players handlers have asked for a handout to get the player to a school and he has refused. There were rumors about this about Moore a few years ago. He does the right thing for the most part and does not get himself in compromising positions like some of the other members of the coaching fraternity.

It seems like every coach has a layer of plausible deniability. Either it’s the school’s apparel rep or it’s an rogue assistant coach.

Does anybody here think Sean Miller, Larranaga, Self, or anybody else will actually get sanctioned for their program’s mention in the ongoing court cases? I feel it’s all going to be pinned on assistants and maybe some schools lose a scholarship for a year or forfeit past season results.

It seems like every coach has a layer of plausible deniability. Either it’s the school’s apparel rep or it’s an rogue assistant coach.

Does anybody here think Sean Miller, Larranaga, Self, or anybody else will actually get sanctioned for their program’s mention in the ongoing court cases? I feel it’s all going to be pinned on assistants and maybe some schools lose a scholarship for a year or forfeit past season results.
NCAA will not kill the golden goose.

Back to the question at hand... pretty much seems like Yavuz/Roddy or bust, right? Anyone else the staff is looking at? Have to think they'd rather bring in one more freshman if possible rather than going to the transfer market for two.

Back to the question at hand... pretty much seems like Yavuz/Roddy or bust, right? Anyone else the staff is looking at? Have to think they'd rather bring in one more freshman if possible rather than going to the transfer market for two.

as far as i know they are only looking at one and he will be on campus soon

my guess would be David Roddy

he has the type of physicality and game that allows him to contribute right away...he can get modest minutes as a frosh

250+ lbs at 6 5"....he's built like Barkley....legit football player

good luck moving him out of the paint

I think their recent (lack of) actions toward North Cheatolina and Michigan State provide the answer to your question.

I think their recent (lack of) actions toward North Cheatolina and Michigan State provide the answer to your question.

I’m not sure what good it would have done to punish UNC for sham clssses when practically every school has them. If not a sham, they’re not quite rigorous. At NU one of them is interpersonal communication.

As for MSU, it doesn’t sound like Izzo was directly involved in their scandals or tried to intervene in the title IX process.

To me, Sean Miller, Pitino, Self, those guys are another story. Baylor football. Those guys break the rules with impunity and on a level that NU could not imagine.

my guess would be David Roddy

he has the type of physicality and game that allows him to contribute right away...he can get modest minutes as a frosh

250+ lbs at 6 5"....he's built like Barkley....legit football player

good luck moving him out of the paint
To me Roddy is the fit with this class even if rated lower than the Turkish Ticket.

Reactions: haywood jahblowme
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT