ADVERTISEMENT

So, who gets the last 2016 slot?

Taking this in a slightly different direction, we've also never really had to worry about 5th year transfers in the other direction (I can only think of one time that we even discussed it since they implemented the rule). As the program builds, we might also be losing people in the other direction? I'm not necessarily saying people will want to leave, but one of the conditions that is probably necessary to be a 5th year transfer is that you have enough talent and ability that you could go elsewhere and fill a need for a year. If our talent level is improving, it seems that this is at least somewhat more likely to happen.
It also means that you would have had to RS a year and as of yet under CCC we have not seen that.

It also means that you would have had to RS a year and as of yet under CCC we have not seen that.

Is a RS year required though? I know Virgina Tech's QB transferred (under the rule) from Texas Tech after his redshirt sophomore year leaving him 2 years of eligibility with the Hokies. I was under the impression student athletes only need to have completed their coursework/graduate to qualify. While uncommon, it isn't unprecedented for these same individuals to graduate in 3 years. It has certainly happened at Northwestern in the past.

Is a RS year required though? I know Virgina Tech's QB transferred (under the rule) from Texas Tech after his redshirt sophomore year leaving him 2 years of eligibility with the Hokies. I was under the impression student athletes only need to have completed their coursework/graduate to qualify. While uncommon, it isn't unprecedented for these same individuals to graduate in 3 years. It has certainly happened at Northwestern in the past.

You are correct. All that is require is to have graduated, have a year of eligibility remaining, and the student be enrolled in a graduate degree program. It doesn't require 4 years at the original school.

I do not recall Crean's alluding to Demps tranferring. My recollection was that NU had a great second half and beat his team and Crean complimented Demps' and Olah's play. Then in typical Crean fashion, he then called them BC's guys because he recruited them as if to downplay CC's staff and their efforts in developing Demps and Olah over the past two plus years. As for any allusion of a current coach to opposing player's transferring to their school, that comment would be subject to fines by the Big 10 conference and Commissioner Delaney IMHO.

I think I remember some mention of Demps transferring but I think it was idle speculation on the board as a "for all we know Demps could transfer." kind of statement.
Someone took the bait and worried about it in a reply. Now it's a thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT