ADVERTISEMENT

Softball

ManhattaCat

Nov 16, 2011
This year's edition has been pretty frustrating to follow at times. After sweeping the Illini and beating ND they fell completely off the tracks in the next two games against the Hawkeyes. I can't remember any two game stretch in the time that Canney was pitching where the Cats could score 21 runs and still lose both games. Amy Letourneau is becoming a very special player cutting her ERA in half from her freshman year and having a very strong batting average. Have we ever had a pitcher who was better at the plate than her? But beyond Letourneau the ERA of the other three pitchers is brutal. I had high expectations for Kristin Wood but she gets rocked every time she takes the mound. Does anyone see this team making the tourney this year? They seem like a bubble team right now and if they do not make some more positive noise in the remaning games they will be home for the tourney.

Originally posted by ManhattaCat:
Does anyone see this team making the tourney this year?
That would be a pleasant surprise considering Allard is out for the year and missed practically the whole season.

Went to the game on Friday. The team is very talented but Letourneau needs to find the strike zone. She's clearly a huge talent but gets herself in a ton of trouble with walks and HBPs. If she can control that, this team (or next years) could be special.

Getting hammered at U-M today

Man, oh man. How I miss the days when Eileen Canney would take the mound and mow down the opposition. She may have been the toughest competitor ever to wear purple in my opinion. From the lack of quality and consistent pitching to a wealth of errors, like 5 in one game against Iowa, this team just did not get their act together this year.

Re: Getting hammered at U-M today

Canney was great, but give me Lisa Ishikawa any day of the week. Best we ever had.

Re: Getting hammered at U-M today

Just hear that you got a commitment from a pitcher from Iowa Named Amber Fiser, believe me when I say she was a phenom at 13. She is only a soph and can only get better. You got a really good pitcher in this kid. She can hit too. Sorry that she didn't choose Iowa but I wish her all the luck. She played with my daughter on a club team here in Cedar Rapids.
She threw in the 60s as a 13yr old with at least 4 quality pitches.

Thanks Drmac for giving us some good news.... we hope she is a star and keeps the channels open. Glad we found a great Cat.

No problem. Wish her the best. she's a good kid. I honestly have not seen many pitchers with her talent at that young age. The competition was really struggling to hit her. They are starting to catch up a little in high school but she is getting better too. Still a long time before she is a senior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT