ADVERTISEMENT

Some scheduling news!

ellabrockway

Aug 31, 2017
We've finally got a new non-con opponent to look forward to down the line, and it's *drum roll* New Mexico State!

October 28, 2023. Future CFB Schedules announced it a few weeks ago -- this'll be the first time the two teams play ever and New Mexico State will get a $1.2 million guarantee from NU for coming to Evanston.

Aggies have hopped around the last few years: 2005-12 in the WAC, 2013 as an independent after the WAC dropped football, 2014-17 as a football-only member of the Sun Belt, and now back to an independent with plans to eventually join the Mountain West. One winning season during that stretch.

A look at non-con opponents for the next four seasons:

2020: Tulane, Central Michigan, Morgan State (FCS)
2021: Indiana State (FCS), at Duke, Ohio
2022: Duke, Southern Illinois (FCS), Miami (OH)
2023: at Duke, New Mexico State

We've finally got a new non-con opponent to look forward to down the line, and it's *drum roll* New Mexico State!

October 28, 2023. Future CFB Schedules announced it a few weeks ago -- this'll be the first time the two teams play ever and New Mexico State will get a $1.2 million guarantee from NU for coming to Evanston.

Aggies have hopped around the last few years: 2005-12 in the WAC, 2013 as an independent after the WAC dropped football, 2014-17 as a football-only member of the Sun Belt, and now back to an independent with plans to eventually join the Mountain West. One winning season during that stretch.

Wow, some real powerhouse programs! NOT!

I too would like to see us play a big name program - perennial top 10 - once every two or three years.

Reactions: runawayCat
It might not be much, but it's better than, say, a Morgan State or a Towson State.

The team needs these guaranteed wins to pad our record, kind of like playing Hartford, Radford, and Merrimack College in basketball ... oops, strike that.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I too would like to see us play a big name program - perennial top 10 - once every two or three years.

Interestingly enough: The 2019 NU-Stanford game was originally part of a six-game home-and-home series. The deal was made in 2011 for 2019/2021 in Evanston, 2020/2022 in California, and then 2015/16 was added on.

The 2016 and 2020-2022 games were dropped in 2015 when the Big Ten went to the nine-game conference schedule.

I like to win.
Sometimes I think it is better for a program to play Alabama or LSU and lose a good battle than to play Ohio and win. UW, a team we have been very comparable to, has played both of these SEC powerhouses in recent years. Iowa, MSU, and UW have worked a high profile game in every 2 or 3 years amid the usual patsies. I think playing great teams helps our national image, our recruiting, and our stature as a program. It also could fill Dyche in a home and home series. A close loss to a good team will not hurt you in the rankings. These schedules make us look like we're afraid to play good teams. Not a good image. We could at least add some teams we've played tough against in bowls - Auburn, Texas A&M, Kentucky come to mind. Even BC, UVA, or UNC would be improvements.

Last edited:
Sometimes I think it is better for a program to play Alabama or LSU and lose a good battle than to play Ohio and win. UW, a team we have been very comparable to, has played both of these SEC powerhouses in recent years. Iowa, MSU, and UW have worked a high profile game in every 2 or 3 years amid the usual patsies. I think playing great teams helps our national image, our recruiting, and our stature as a program. It also could fill Dyche in a home and home series. A close loss to a good team will not hurt you in the rankings. These schedules make us look like we're afraid to play good teams. Not a good image. We could at least add some teams we've played tough against in bowls - Auburn, Texas A&M, Kentucky come to mind. Even BC, UVA, or UNC would be improvements.
I agree but wondering if programs like Auburn, A&M, even UNC would consider playing at Dyche/Ryan. Small size of the stadium and high cost of traveling, including hotel choices might say no.

We are playing Duke home and home 2021-25 and then Colorado the next two years. Can only have one of those to achieve seven home games each year. Illini haven't played any power5 team nonconference in the last 8 years, I believe.

NMSU DID beat Minnesota in the last decade. They have beaten a Big Ten team, and NU has lost some stinkers. Never take any game for granted (except UMass).

Fitz's propensity to limit contact in preseason practice makes playing lighter competition early in the season a good idea IMO. That said we hav had some tough openers lately.

Reactions: techtim72
We are playing Duke home and home 2021-25 and then Colorado the next two years. Can only have one of those to achieve seven home games each year. Illini haven't played any power5 team nonconference in the last 8 years, I believe.
Win or lose, I am tired of playing Duke. And I can even drive to the away games

We play them way more than B1G East teams

Reactions: mickbula
I agree but wondering if programs like Auburn, A&M, even UNC would consider playing at Dyche/Ryan. Small size of the stadium and high cost of traveling, including hotel choices might say no.
Good point.

I am not buying season tickets to see these lame teams. Especially when we will struggle to beat them. If we beat them.

need to go bowling again

Yeah, that's the tradeoff. You have to tolerate these games if you like bowls. Even looking at this year's schedule (after originally commenting), we have Tulane and Central Michigan sandwiched between a road opener at Michigan State and a road game at Penn State. And we've got Morgan State between Wisconsin at Wrigley and a trip to Minnesota. MSU is down, but the other three conference teams are all at peak strength right now. I think the Big Ten games opening the season make it especially difficult to schedule good non-conference games. Anyway, it's too bad. Having games like Notre Dame here a few years ago was really fun to watch.

tOSU seems to schedule games like this every year. I don't want to be like them but I want a record like them.

I think having these relatively easy games are vital for programs like NU. Everyone wants us to play a good non conference schedule...But it's not realistic and doesn't benefit us like people think. Keep dreaming that we beat Alabama on opening day. Which btw if that miracle did happen...would get us into the top 20! not much else. We then can lose to the next team we play because we currently have the type of talent to beat or lose to practically anybody.

What was Minny or Illinois pre Bigten schedule? The truth is nobody remembers except that it was easy. But who cares at the end when you are in a bowl game. Do you think recruits care or even notice that we play a tougher non conference schedule than Minny every year?
And I would love to say that NU would sell out a game against Alabama with NU fans...But we all know that would be a lie.

I want 3 cupcakes every year Or 1 midlevel challenge and 2 cupcakes.

Those games can do a lot for the program. Gives a great deal of players playing time against players they don't know. Gives backup QB's actual experience against a defense trying to kill them. It's great for team morale. Gives starters rest and a few less plays where injuries can happen. Gives the team confidence and time to workout the kinks.

And hopefully 3 wins.

Reactions: CatFanEd
tOSU seems to schedule games like this every year. I don't want to be like them but I want a record like them.

Ohio St schedules one marquee game each year.
2016 - @Oklahoma
2017 - Oklahoma
2018 - @TCU (relocated to JerryWorld)
2019 - TCU (canceled, bought out by ESPN)
2020 - @Oregon
2021 - Oregon
2022 - Notre Dame
2023 - @Notre Dame
2024 - @Washington
2025 - Washington
2026 - @Texas

For the 11th game, they try to sprinkle in nearby teams so a buy game generates regional interest (Cincinnati, Marshall, Ohio, Toledo, BG, Miami, Akron, Kent, Youngstown).

I like NU's upcoming series with Colorado. Missouri and Iowa State would be fun too. Duke is stale, imo.

The 2014 NIU buy game was full (sold out, iirc). It was a heck of an environment. I much prefer the packed non-con games than games like Morgan St (which we won't toss a Saturday attending).

Because we know who we are. Bottom line.

I’d rather see us schedule a non-con patsy from a region where we recruit, like Texas (SMU, North Texas, Rice), DC Metro (Towson, UVA, ODU, Norfolk St), Tennessee Valley area (Vandy, MTSU, TTech, Tenn St, Austin Peay), etc.
Patsies UVA and Vandy.........HA!

I’d rather see us schedule a non-con patsy from a region where we recruit, like Texas (SMU, North Texas, Rice), DC Metro (Towson, UVA, ODU, Norfolk St), Tennessee Valley area (Vandy, MTSU, TTech, Tenn St, Austin Peay), etc.

Makes no difference.

Yes to SMU and how about U. of Cincinnati ?

Yeah, let's play a bunch of teams with no academic standards to speak of that won't draw anybody extra at Ryan Field. Great idea!
Guess I didn't realize that Indiana St, Central Michigan, Morgan St, Ohio, SIU and New Mexico St. were considered high academic schools and would bring large crowds of fans to Evanston. I'd would think that Cincinnati would bring more people then all of those schools combined and are located in a state where NU does a lot of recruiting.

Guess I didn't realize that Indiana St, Central Michigan, Morgan St, Ohio, SIU and New Mexico St. were considered high academic schools and would bring large crowds of fans to Evanston. I'd would think that Cincinnati would bring more people then all of those schools combined and are located in a state where NU does a lot of recruiting.
Nobody in Chicago cares about Cincy or SMU and why would we play a home and home with those non-power 5 schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT