ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game

Could Lloyd Yates be the new Dwayne Bates? (Dwayne also played QB before converting to WR). JJTBC said he's been impressive, and he made good plays in the practice, including a TD reception.. It's a good sign for the WRs.

I don't think we can expect him to be as explosive at the WR position but I do think there may be some similarities. He has always struck me as a really smart player and having played QB I think he will a unique understanding of what defenses are trying to do and therefore will know how to counteract that.

Was that Dean Lowry that coach Fitz called out to the huddle at the end of practice? Persa said it was a recruit but I think it was Lowry.

The guy with the Green Bay ski cap?
Sure looked like Lowry to me....

The guy with the Green Bay ski cap?
Sure looked like Lowry to me....

I didn't notice the Green Bay hat. Obviously it was Lowry but I had a doubt because Persa said at that moment that Fitz was introducing some recruits.

I can't watch but I'm getting a good idea of some things just reading you guys so thanks.

Thorson looked relaxed, in control, and made every throw I saw him attempt.

Alviti was hitting his targets and still looked as quick as ever. Was having fun out there.

Smith had two really nice throws that stood out, one about 20 yards on a deep in. Promising.

Green made a few passes.

Hard to tell much as the D was pretty lax out there.

Reactions: TerraCat

Alviti was hitting his targets and still looked as quick as ever. Was having fun out there.

Smith had two really nice throws that stood out, one about 20 yards on a deep in. Promising.

Green made a few passes.

Thanks

Whether he starts or not, I think he will once again be a destroyer on Special Teams

Yes and I'll feel pretty comfortable that he will be very capable in the rotation. There won't be much drop off IMO.

Unable to watch any of today's games, but appreciate the comments. Any significant insights picked up either by watching or from any interviews? Other than the great weather (nice to hear!), any specific impressions or concerns? Thanks in advance.

What's happening with Auston Anderson? I did not see him in the scrimmage. Is he hurt?

I didn't notice the Green Bay hat. Obviously it was Lowry but I had a doubt because Persa said at that moment that Fitz was introducing some recruits.
Fitz did say that, I believe. His version of April Fool's, perhaps...

Was that Dean Lowry that coach Fitz called out to the huddle at the end of practice? Persa said it was a recruit but I think it was Lowry.
It was Lowry. He is huge, glad to see him back in Evanston and staying close to the program.

Glad to hear you liked it. I'll be in Prague for a couple of days in July.
If you havn't been to Prague before , you're going to love I, although I may be a bit prejudiced because my mother's family is from there. I've been their a couple of times and consider it along with Paris as the two nicest cities in Europe. It was one of the few cities that didn't suffer from the bombings during WWII. Great beers and food, so what's not to like.

If you havn't been to Prague before , you're going to love I, although I may be a bit prejudiced because my mother's family is from there. I've been their a couple of times and consider it along with Paris as the two nicest cities in Europe. It was one of the few cities that didn't suffer from the bombings during WWII. Great beers and food, so what's not to like.
Don't trust the taxi drivers to take you the most direct route or give you the fare by the meter. But it is an amazingly beautiful city. Spectacular at Christmastime.

Don't trust the taxi drivers to take you the most direct route or give you the fare by the meter. But it is an amazingly beautiful city. Spectacular at Christmastime.
Your right on regarding the taxis. It's about the only complaint I have with Prague. Had my relatives usually sit up front so we would get the correct fare or had one of them tell the driver as we let their home or business to charge us the right fare. make sure you know the distance your about travel and check the correct amount from certain highlighted places which are posted in most hotels and in train stations. Their subway system, although not extensive is a great way to get around. it is safe, even at night, as is most of Prague.

That's one fantastic view over that lake, which is often in the background. Few schools can use their practice field as a recruiting tool.

The look back at the glass/steel structures looking inland are quietly impressive, though so in contrast to most of the stuff I knew.

And once in a while, the Taj Fitz appears in the background. Like watching the Pyramids under construction...

The transfers are still in class, so we must wait to see them. Fun look at the team.

Green made a few passes.

My son made out there this weekend and was even more impressed with Clayton in person - said he really has a cannon and clearly knows his stuff, so he can't wait to get there in June to start working with him. He was also really impressed with the overall energy level and obvious camaraderie from the team as a whole.

My son made out there this weekend and was even more impressed with Clayton in person - said he really has a cannon and clearly knows his stuff, so he can't wait to get there in June to start working with him. He was also really impressed with the overall energy level and obvious camaraderie from the team as a whole.

That's fantastic to hear! Looking forward to watching a confident Clayton behind center this season.

Thanks for the input. We can't wait to get Jalen on campus. I think Jalen could end up being a critical last piece to a Big Ten Championship contender with national aspirations. We just need to stay healthy and have a few things break our way. Clayton is a QB with first day NFL draft pick potential and he just needs a few more weapons to have that huge breakout year. I think with Jalen on board, this year will be that year.

Thanks for the input. We can't wait to get Jalen on campus. I think Jalen could end up being a critical last piece to a Big Ten Championship contender with national aspirations. We just need to stay healthy and have a few things break our way. Clayton is a QB with first day NFL draft pick potential and he just needs a few more weapons to have that huge breakout year. I think with Jalen on board, this year will be that year.

And the OL needs to take that next step. Gotta get the sack number down this season.

And the OL needs to take that next step. Gotta get the sack number down this season.

Fortunately reinforcements seem to be on the way with Brown coming at WR and Klock at OL. Brown seems likely to become our most physically skilled WR the moment he steps on campus while Klock will increase "competitive depth" at the very least.

I was very interested to see Vogel running with the 1s during the televised practice. He's a very large young man and, if his skills continue progressing, has a chance to be pretty darn good.

1 Very exciting when ever player's parents are willing to post.
2 Please forgive all in advance for emotional and stupid comments.
3 Your name indicates you might be his mom. We don't get many ladies on the board so, forgive us again.
4. It's really encouraging that Jalen was impressed. He has seen college level QB's so he knows what he is talking about and we all really want him to be excited to be a Cat. He has two years, Clayton has two years. Maybe they can set some records together.

Reactions: seavue617

Your son could be a key piece to completing the puzzle for a Big 10 Championship season.

1 Very exciting when ever player's parents are willing to post.
2 Please forgive all in advance for emotional and stupid comments.
3 Your name indicates you might be his mom. We don't get many ladies on the board so, forgive us again.
4. It's really encouraging that Jalen was impressed. He has seen college level QB's so he knows what he is talking about and we all really want him to be excited to be a Cat. He has two years, Clayton has two years. Maybe they can set some records together.

Thanks, and yes, I am his mom - I am a huge football fan (whole family is - we are from Wisconsin and Illinois, originally), and I love to mix it up about all things football, Jalen or otherwise. And, I have a very thick skin (Ducks fans are very, very vocal and blunt) . . . Jalen is indeed thrilled and beyond anxious to get out there in June and was surprised on both visits how much he immediately felt connected to and motivated by the players, coaches and staff. He had several offers after he announced and shut it down almost immediately after his visit - cancelled or declined visits to Penn St., A&M, Iowa, and others; he just knew (and I agree it's really a perfect fit). He and Clayton have also spent quite a bit of time together on both visits, and he is very impressed by him on many levels. Jalen also had glowing reviews of the defense.

Glad to see that the Cats had this active board and look forward to getting to know folks. And of course, I can't wait to don some purple and cheer on the Cats and Jalen on this next leg of his football and college journey!

And, as much excitement as we anticipate enjoying Jalen's exploits on the field, major props for his having accomplished so much academically. Very impressive to graduate early while playing P5 football at a high level. Props to you for the positive influence you provided. Anyways, he's got a legitimate chance to enjoy huge success with the Cats and hope it comes true!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT