ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice story

We are as strong as our weakest link... we will go as far as our OL takes us. Kind of scary in a way, but glad that Fitz has his focus on improving the OL.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
We all know the OL will have the same problem that it has for years. It is what it is. Embrace it. The other units just have to step up, and I think they have.

I am very encouraged because of our OL recruiting the past two years, particularly 2016, but we will not see them on the field this year. Hoping that Vogel or Klock can make a difference.
I can't imagine that Klock won't make a difference. We are adding a guy who has four years of development including playing time at a P5 school. He might not start but he is mature and experienced and will improve competition and depth.

I can't imagine that Klock won't make a difference. We are adding a guy who has four years of development including playing time at a P5 school. He might not start but he is mature and experienced and will improve competition and depth.

Might take him a little while to adjust from GaTech's ground-based triple-option to NU's spread, plus he won't have the benefit of spring practice.

He should be physically ready to go, but that adjustment period might put a damper on his ability to contribute early in the 2017 season.

Reactions: Inovacat
Might take him a little while to adjust from GaTech's ground-based triple-option to NU's spread, plus he won't have the benefit of spring practice.

He should be physically ready to go, but that adjustment period might put a damper on his ability to contribute early in the 2017 season.

Any way he can get coached up in advance? Study play book? Speak with former NU Linemen, current linemen? Watch film?

Perhaps I should have asked it differently, certainly there are some ways. what are they?

Any way he can get coached up in advance? Study play book? Speak with former NU Linemen, current linemen? Watch film?

Perhaps I should have asked it differently, certainly there are some ways. what are they?

He probably has a playbook already, but that's no replacement for repping at game speed on a practice field. Really isn't much replacement for actual practice.

Jalen already has the playbook, so I am sure Trey does as well . . . although it will probably be a little easier transition for Jalen, since the offense is very similar in many respects to his offense at Oregon

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Jalen already has the playbook, so I am sure Trey does as well . . . although it will probably be a little easier transition for Jalen, since the offense is very similar in many respects to his offense at Oregon

I'm not a real expert but it does seem to me that WRs, while having to run disciplined, consistent routes, are coordinating most with the QB and in some ways are independent in space. WRs can put in extra time with the QB if he is willing and has time. O linemen work in a tighter unit and lean on each other more. How do you practice that without assembling the whole line and at least a mock up of a defense?

Both need repetitions though to master the timing. but it seems to me that you are correct.
So excited to have Jalen for two years. I'm a big fan of the grad transfer rules mostly because it gives the students a little edge and freedom in self determination but also, with a little long term planning can play into a scheme that sort of the mirrors the JUCO transfer rules only at the other end of the academic spectrum.

Jalen worked it out where he gets to experience two schools and parts of the nation plus walk away with two degrees. There are lots of different kinds of smart, Jalen seem to have covered at least a few of them.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern

Given how poor our OL has been, I'd be shocked, absolutely shocked if he isn't starting. He has got to be one of our best 5. He's had the benefit of 4 years of coaching by a better OL coach.

Given how poor our OL has been, I'd be shocked, absolutely shocked if he isn't starting. He has got to be one of our best 5. He's had the benefit of 4 years of coaching by a better OL coach.

Well this could be a real test case of your hypothesis. Not sure which outcome I'm hoping for except I guess I want the Cats to win so I hope he comes in JJ follows his butt to the end zone many times a game.

I do think regardless, he will bring some new insights about how his former experience compares with his experience at NU and the line will be better off for having him even if he only plays a couple of series a game. He is an upgrade to the whole.

Reactions: TerraCat

Klock has a much tougher transition given the change in offensive system. Brown is coming from a similar system and can build some chemistry on his own with Thorson more easily than Klock can with the rest of OL and the QB. I think Klock will play early but not sure he starts right off the bat. I think Brown will be a main cog in our offense from game 1.

Lets see his pass sets before we anoint him a starter. Bet he will be fantastic when running though.

Curious what our plan with Brown will be. Nagel and Skowronek will be on the field. Is he going to battle Vault for slot? Assuming he's too talented to keep off the field, we will likely see more Trips/Bunch sets and less Garrett? (we obviously will be rotating a bunch, just more curious to hear relative to last year)

I'm not a real expert but it does seem to me that WRs, while having to run disciplined, consistent routes, are coordinating most with the QB and in some ways are independent in space. WRs can put in extra time with the QB if he is willing and has time. O linemen work in a tighter unit and lean on each other more. How do you practice that without assembling the whole line and at least a mock up of a defense?

Both need repetitions though to master the timing. but it seems to me that you are correct.
So excited to have Jalen for two years. I'm a big fan of the grad transfer rules mostly because it gives the students a little edge and freedom in self determination but also, with a little long term planning can play into a scheme that sort of the mirrors the JUCO transfer rules only at the other end of the academic spectrum.

Jalen worked it out where he gets to experience two schools and parts of the nation plus walk away with two degrees. There are lots of different kinds of smart, Jalen seem to have covered at least a few of them.

Thanks for the kind words - the grad transfer route is definitely the right way to go instead of leaving sooner and losing a year of eligibility. I am very proud Jalen has handled this the way he has and was able to get the academics taken care of early and still with an above 3.0 GPA, to ensure acceptance at a top grad program. He has also made sure to stay connected with Clayton and will jump at every opportunity he has to work extra with him when he arrives in June; he has his last final June 15th, then will fly there on the 16th or 17th (missing his June 19th graduation ceremony), so definitely jumping right in!! I sadly will be the one driving his car to Chicago though, since he does not have much cushion in between. :(

Thanks for the kind words - the grad transfer route is definitely the right way to go instead of leaving sooner and losing a year of eligibility. I am very proud Jalen has handled this the way he has and was able to get the academics taken care of early and still with an above 3.0 GPA, to ensure acceptance at a top grad program. He has also made sure to stay connected with Clayton and will jump at every opportunity he has to work extra with him when he arrives in June; he has his last final June 15th, then will fly there on the 16th or 17th (missing his June 19th graduation ceremony), so definitely jumping right in!! I sadly will be the one driving his car to Chicago though, since he does not have much cushion in between. :(
That's quite a road trip from Oregon! Any chance to stop and smell the roses? I can recommend some cool spots.

Lets see his pass sets before we anoint him a starter. Bet he will be fantastic when running though.

Curious what our plan with Brown will be. Nagel and Skowronek will be on the field. Is he going to battle Vault for slot? Assuming he's too talented to keep off the field, we will likely see more Trips/Bunch sets and less Garrett? (we obviously will be rotating a bunch, just more curious to hear relative to last year)

Jalen did play inside and outside at Oregon, but primarily outside - although the route tree out of the slot at Oregon was different (more limited), I am pretty sure from what I have seen than that at Northwestern - so I think he can play either, but he is certainly more of a true outside receiver (certainly for a pro set if he can get to the next level).

Jalen did play inside and outside at Oregon, but primarily outside - although the route tree out of the slot at Oregon was different (more limited), I am pretty sure from what I have seen than that at Northwestern - so I think he can play either, but he is certainly more of a true outside receiver (certainly for a pro set if he can get to the next level).

Perfect. We have plenty of slot guys but need more outside WRs.

That's quite a road trip from Oregon! Any chance to stop and smell the roses? I can recommend some cool spots.

Well actually - Jalen will drive his car home over memorial day weekend (packed with a ton of stuff; some to stay in AZ with me and some to go on to Evanston), because he has to bring his dog home to go live with his Dad (lots of the players up there have animals); he wants to be focused on football and school to start, so not taking the dog at first. Then he will just fly back for last two or so weeks in Eugene without car.

Then I will drive the car from AZ to Evanston - going to leave that Friday to try to arrive Sunday the 18th early afternoon - so my stops will likely be in not so exciting places like Amarillo and St. Louis!:p

Reactions: Inovacat
Klock has a much tougher transition given the change in offensive system. Brown is coming from a similar system and can build some chemistry on his own with Thorson more easily than Klock can with the rest of OL and the QB. I think Klock will play early but not sure he starts right off the bat. I think Brown will be a main cog in our offense from game 1.

I hear you on the learning curve and the scheme differences, but given that we have had multiple true freshmen show up in the summer at Kenosha and start from day 1, I'm guessing our schemes are not that difficult and thinking a grad transfer that has had 4 years of lifting and playing at a Power 5 level in a very strong run oriented offense is going to have enough to step up and perhaps be our best run blocker on day one, and hopefully learn enough at Kenosha to step in as a starter for the 1st game.

No arguments on Brown. I think he will immediately be our top receiving threat. This isn't a Kyle Prater transfer, where Prater wasn't getting PT. Brown was productive and coming on late for Oregon and was seen to be a starter next year for the Ducks and one of their top receivers. Ducks were down last year, but this is still Oregon we're talking about - a program and offense that is not exactly chopped liver.

Well actually - Jalen will drive his car home over memorial day weekend (packed with a ton of stuff; some to stay in AZ with me and some to go on to Evanston), because he has to bring his dog home to go live with his Dad (lots of the players up there have animals); he wants to be focused on football and school to start, so not taking the dog at first. Then he will just fly back for last two or so weeks in Eugene without car.

Then I will drive the car from AZ to Evanston - going to leave that Friday to try to arrive Sunday the 18th early afternoon - so my stops will likely be in not so exciting places like Amarillo and St. Louis!:p
St. Louis isn't all bad. Drive safely---we are very excited having such a good athlete and superior student join the team at NU.

I hear you on the learning curve and the scheme differences, but given that we have had multiple true freshmen show up in the summer at Kenosha and start from day 1, I'm guessing our schemes are not that difficult and thinking a grad transfer that has had 4 years of lifting and playing at a Power 5 level in a very strong run oriented offense is going to have enough to step up and perhaps be our best run blocker on day one, and hopefully learn enough at Kenosha to step in as a starter for the 1st game.

No arguments on Brown. I think he will immediately be our top receiving threat. This isn't a Kyle Prater transfer, where Prater wasn't getting PT. Brown was productive and coming on late for Oregon and was seen to be a starter next year for the Ducks and one of their top receivers. Ducks were down last year, but this is still Oregon we're talking about - a program and offense that is not exactly chopped liver.

What OL that we have had have started as true freshmen?

[/QUOTE]Ducks were down last year, but this is still Oregon we're talking about - a program and offense that is not exactly chopped liver.[/QUOTE]

Actually Oregon is in a pretty tough situation right now at WR - they are hurting and have no depth, with Jalen's departure, two others leaving and one hurt - only returners with any experience are the slot (Nelson) and one outside (Carrington). Jalen just got another voicemail from the new WR coach there (he arrived after Jalen was no longer even participating with football and had already announced transfer to NU, since the first WR coach they hired had to leave after only 3 weeks), and his voicemail is a plea to talk to Jalen "and his family" about "what happened" with him deciding to leave "please."

Jalen has no interest in any such discussion - he is a Wildcat now and has his eyes squarely set on the future in Evanston! :D

Trevor Rees? During a span freshman centers started and snapped for 4 years. King, Vitabile, Burkett among them.

Trevor Rees did indeed start as a true freshman after King started as a true freshman, though Burkett redshirted in 2007 to break the string of true freshman starters at center.

Curious question if it is not too personal (just pretend you didn't keep reading this thread :D).
Was this strategy in his mind from the beginning? Not necessarily NU, but the idea of getting two degrees at two schools via the grad transfer rule?

Curious question if it is not too personal (just pretend you didn't keep reading this thread :D).
Was this strategy in his mind from the beginning? Not necessarily NU, but the idea of getting two degrees at two schools via the grad transfer rule?

Not from the "beginning," no . . . ;)

In regards to Trey Klock picking up the offense: As a general rule, I thought guards has an easier time learning the offense than tackles. Plow straight ahead, just make sure you cover the correct gap. That said, Northwestern likes to pull its guards a lot which requires timing and footwork to execute. Does anyone think if Klock playing guard or tackle would affect how long he takes to learn the offensive plays and execution?

Austin King, Zach Strief, Brandon Vitabile (I think), Patrick Ward, Ben Burkett off the top of my head

That's batting 0.400. Encouraging.

Patrick Ward, Austin King, and Trevor Rees are the only OL to start or play as true freshmen that I can recall over the past twenty years. The rest on ECat's list initially played as redshirt freshmen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT