ADVERTISEMENT

starters time just the symptom

loyolacat

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2006
The starters huge amount of playing time this year...particularly against the lesser foes. is a symptom to me that the newbies from last year have not improved enough for Collins to trust them...or he is paranoid to use them....I have to admit Benson looks no better physically to me and not that much improved on the court...still has problems finishing. Brown was so impressive early last year and then it appeared Collins tried to get him to slow his roll and this year same deal. Even though with everyone saying Ash looks way improved you dont get to see him very often. The offense is a passing offense or BMAC dribbling off screens....perfect setup for a disaster like TT....with mobile long range guys ( Minnesota this year)....we needed another ball handling, penetrating guard and apparently no one fills the bill.
All could just be a function of TT being really good and us not being ready OR we need the bench to produce if they can.

One of the better overviews. Add some crappy defense to this synopsis, and I think we have what we have.

I'm hoping this team is better than the mediocrity we've seen so far. I'm also wondering if a weak B10 helps the Cats "improvement."

The starters huge amount of playing time this year...particularly against the lesser foes. is a symptom to me that the newbies from last year have not improved enough for Collins to trust them...or he is paranoid to use them....I have to admit Benson looks no better physically to me and not that much improved on the court...still has problems finishing. Brown was so impressive early last year and then it appeared Collins tried to get him to slow his roll and this year same deal. Even though with everyone saying Ash looks way improved you dont get to see him very often. The offense is a passing offense or BMAC dribbling off screens....perfect setup for a disaster like TT....with mobile long range guys ( Minnesota this year)....we needed another ball handling, penetrating guard and apparently no one fills the bill.
All could just be a function of TT being really good and us not being ready OR we need the bench to produce if they can.
Mac was off\ ash can help

One of the better overviews. Add some crappy defense to this synopsis, and I think we have what we have.

I'm hoping this team is better than the mediocrity we've seen so far. I'm also wondering if a weak B10 helps the Cats "improvement."

I'm worried about the Big Ten...I think Iowa is on the verge of becoming dangerous...OSU has talent and now has a coach, may be a difficult win second half of the conference....Wiscy looked good to me....it's MSU and then everyone else.

Reactions: Kelly_32
I'm worried about the Big Ten...I think Iowa is on the verge of becoming dangerous...OSU has talent and now has a coach, may be a difficult win second half of the conference....Wiscy looked good to me....it's MSU and then everyone else.

Purdue looks like a top five team in the country

Iowa was not so dangerous today.

I think I agree that Ash can help...question is why is he not getting more playing time?
It will all work out in the end! Ash can shoot! The real problem for Ash is that he is behind one of the top five point guards in the country in Mac! Mac has got all the tools, but he isn’t Hercules and needs to rest his legs! We have four All Big Ten caliber ( at least honorable mention) players around Ash’s position in Scottie Lindsey,Vic Law,and Falzon! Dam good players. In a forty minute game, those three will get 30 minutes. Falzon, maybe 20-25. Now, Falzon is a big guy and can take minutes from Skelly who is a solid big man player. You got to have the biggies on the court at all times, at least one of them,like Pardon and Benson. So where are the minutes for Ash? I think we need him/Ash for 15 minutes a game. But with Collins pushing the envelope with Mac early on, the minutes are not there. Ash has to take minutes from Scottie,or Law,or Falzon. Not likely. The you have to add a real talent like Gaines! Gaines is a big time player with amazing potential. Heck, even Brown has potential,but he needs a redshirt and Collins won’t give it to him. Next year you add Turner, and I don’t see Brown even staying at NU! I think he transfers to a school out west. The thing is Ash is really our best defender and shows it every time. He is physical and our best passer on the team,not named Mac. I think Ash needs 18 minutes a game, if we are serious about contending. Ash is never, ever out of position on defense. We are playing crappy defense and time and time again, Skelly,Brown, MAC, and Lindsey are out of position. I like Collins and am confident he will figure it out.

Iowa was not so dangerous today.

Yeah, you could see that one coming when they didn't blow out Grambling, which is one of the 10 worst teams in the country. They're playing solidly worse than we are playing right now, which is saying a lot.

Mac was off\ ash can help
Oh my god... please stop. I know people will tell me to just put you on Ignore, but I try to give you the benefit of the doubt. But enough with this already. Ash is not a skilled enough offensive player to ever run this offense. And even if he was.... you've said it now over 500 times which leads me to think you really aren't intending to be a genuine contributor to these boards.

Oh my god... please stop. I know people will tell me to just put you on Ignore, but I try to give you the benefit of the doubt. But enough with this already. Ash is not a skilled enough offensive player to ever run this offense. And even if he was.... you've said it now over 500 times which leads me to think you really aren't intending to be a genuine contributor to these boards.
Mac is an AA but needs to rest\30 minutes a game\ I give Ash 5 minutes and Gaines 5 minutes \then I give Ash and Gaines each 3-5 minutes from our forwards\ I see Ash\Gaines \Falcon as our 6-8 guys where u give em 10-15 minutes per game\ditto for Benson who I give 10 minutes a game

Mac is an AA but needs to rest\30 minutes a game\ I give Ash 5 minutes and Gaines 5 minutes \then I give Ash and Gaines each 3-5 minutes from our forwards\ I see Ash\Gaines \Falcon as our 6-8 guys where u give em 10-15 minutes per game\ditto for Benson who I give 10 minutes a game
No way does Ash deserve 15 minutes a game. He just hasn't demonstrated the skillset to play many minutes, unfortunately. While it may be up for some debate, I think you have made your position clear many times.

Purdue is not a top 5 team. They have beaten 4 weak schools and Marquette. Marquette does not look like a tourney team. Purdue plays Tennessee tomorrow and then 4 real teams in Villanova, Louisville, at Maryland and NU. Let's see how they do after those four games before we say that PU is better w/o Swanigan, the Big 10 POY and national POY finalist and who had more double doubles than anyone in recent history in the NCAA and was a first round draft pick. Just a thought before we crown PU.

As for Ash, he is not going to get consistent minutes. He is a spot player and mainly a low minute defensive replacement in short minutes for BMac. But keep on playing that angle and see where it gets you. It gets a big laugh from me whenever it is mentioned.

No way does Ash deserve 15 minutes a game. He just hasn't demonstrated the skillset to play many minutes, unfortunately. While it may be up for some debate, I think you have made your position clear many times.

I have scored as many points this season as Jordan Ash has. Zero. Through 5 games.

I try to refrain from critiquing a player, but your love affair with Ash shows a complete lack of objectivity and perspective which comes from you sitting at home on your comfy couch. Stop your unending horse crap. For the guard position, you want a threat who can handle the ball, break down a defender to get to the hoop or pass and/or who can shoot. Mr. Ash is loosely covered because he is a non-threat in each of these aspects. The other team's defensive reaction to him can not be seen from your comfy couch. He is also not the superlative athlete like Mr. Nash was to be a defensive force. Minimal minutes are in order.

Catfans5, permit me to suggest that you take the Wrassler too seriously and only encourage his continued flights of fancy. The accolades about Ash exceed even what Jordan's mother says about him, and are clearly intended to provoke responses such as yours. Wrassler is half-serious and half-showboat, and we should give thanks this day for what we value about him without feeding the tiresome side.

Otherwise he'll only increase the baiting.

Reactions: catfans5
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT