ADVERTISEMENT

Strauss

Point being that no one is complaining that Clayton and Mullins have schollies. Also that Smith will be viewed better than both in the portal and we know Mullins got a schollie when he transferred.

So my point is that we may land another Langborg or another Mullins. Could get a VH or an Audige. No real way to know how the transfer will translate in B1G play. Smith is a known factor.

If Smith were to leave and we landed another Mullins, I, among others, would rightly complain this is a bad mark on the CCC record as he let talent escape so he could buy a lottery ticket.
Aren’t you the participation trophy guy?

So let me get this argument straight, the argument is our Freshman and Mullins stink, they are on Scholarship, Smith is better, he is not on Scholarship, so to make things “fair” Smith deserves a Scholarship?

Ever hear the term “throwing good money after bad”? Me thinks your personal experience of being considered a walk on at some programs back in the day is impacting your inconsistencies. Aren’t you the “ nice guys finish last” dude.

This is simple, you fill the spots with the 3 best players you can secure! If Smith is one of them, he gets the scholarship, if he isn’t he doesn’t. If he does not receive a scholarship and leaves for a better opportunity, we all thank him for his contributions and wish him luck. There is no culture conflict. Players want to play. Players that do play want to win! Please tell me you don’t dispute this last paragraph?

Smith is better, he is not on Scholarship, so to make things “fair” Smith deserves a Scholarship?
I don't think that's it. He is saying that smith is a known quantity, Whereas the transfer portal might bring you a pig in a poke. Lose Smith, get Mullins 2.0 is a loss to him.

I like smith's effort, But no top one hundred team is going to give him a scholarship. He has no offensive game yet. He might develop one.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Point being that no one is complaining that Clayton and Mullins have schollies. Also that Smith will be viewed better than both in the portal and we know Mullins got a schollie when he transferred.

So my point is that we may land another Langborg or another Mullins. Could get a VH or an Audige. No real way to know how the transfer will translate in B1G play. Smith is a known factor.

If Smith were to leave and we landed another Mullins, I, among others, would rightly complain this is a bad mark on the CCC record as he let talent escape so he could buy a lottery ticket.

I think Mullins can play in the Big Ten. I also think Smith can play in the Big Ten. I'm not sure about Clayton.
Mullins and Smith are both excellent athletes and I think Collins cherishes that type of player (actual wings).

It seemed to me that Collins was doing what we all thought he should do - figure out if Strauss or Clayton could take over for Buie as sophomores or even sub in for him for a few minutes a game.

If Strauss goes somewhere and becomes a good player, thats a knock on Collins. Otherwise, I can't see Smith leaving since he obviously wanted to attend NU, but if he isn't acknowledged for his contributions, he may re-think that.

Mullins has upside. A lot of upside. Smith does too, but not like Mullins. I'd try very hard to keep both.

I think Mullins can play in the Big Ten. I also think Smith can play in the Big Ten. I'm not sure about Clayton.
Mullins and Smith are both excellent athletes and I think Collins cherishes that type of player (actual wings).

It seemed to me that Collins was doing what we all thought he should do - figure out if Strauss or Clayton could take over for Buie as sophomores or even sub in for him for a few minutes a game.

If Strauss goes somewhere and becomes a good player, thats a knock on Collins. Otherwise, I can't see Smith leaving since he obviously wanted to attend NU, but if he isn't acknowledged for his contributions, he may re-think that.

Mullins has upside. A lot of upside. Smith does too, but not like Mullins. I'd try very hard to keep both.
Don’t totally understand the concern about Mullins, he’s not looking at a better option in the portal right now and there is some opportunity at the scoring wings at NU going into next year. If we recruit some superstar 2 over the top of him long with our existing wings I’d get thinking a transfer, but where else is he gonna go?

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Aren’t you the participation trophy guy?

So let me get this argument straight, the argument is our Freshman and Mullins stink, they are on Scholarship, Smith is better, he is not on Scholarship, so to make things “fair” Smith deserves a Scholarship?

Ever hear the term “throwing good money after bad”? Me thinks your personal experience of being considered a walk on at some programs back in the day is impacting your inconsistencies. Aren’t you the “ nice guys finish last” dude.

This is simple, you fill the spots with the 3 best players you can secure! If Smith is one of them, he gets the scholarship, if he isn’t he doesn’t. If he does not receive a scholarship and leaves for a better opportunity, we all thank him for his contributions and wish him luck. There is no culture conflict. Players want to play. Players that do play want to win! Please tell me you don’t dispute this last paragraph?
My primary argument is that Smith will get a scholarship somewhere if he wants to transfer. If we bring in another player that turns out to be worse than smith (a commodity we already knew about), it will reflect poorly upon the coach’s recruiting / retaining decisions. Disagree? It’s that simple.

My primary argument is that Smith will get a scholarship somewhere if he wants to transfer. If we bring in another player that turns out to be worse than smith (a commodity we already knew about), it will reflect poorly upon the coach’s recruiting / retaining decisions. Disagree? It’s that simple.
I don’t think anyone would disagree that if we let players transfer who are good and bring in transfers who are bad it will reflect poorly on coaches’ talent evaluations.

I think there’s a very reasonable thought that there are players in the transfer portal right now who are much more obviously “finished products” relative to Smith, and, if we can get them, we should. Ideally Smith sticks around as a walk on but if not it’s in theory a roster upgrade.

No one is saying we should take someone who projects to be worse than Smith over giving a spot to Smith.

We all have eyeballs. We all saw Blake Smith play. While he made the absolute most of out of his time on the court and did play fine enough (or better) defense, he was playing out of desperation and wouldn't have sniffed the court if not for injuries.

He's at NU on his own accord anyways and I'd assume wasn't expecting an athletic scholarship, so give it to the absolute best talent possible. That said, if there aren't any takers for it, then sure, give it to him
Even that depends on openings coming up the next year. The fact that he was here on his own means he had the financials worked out either through need based schollie or something else. May not need to give him the schollie and may be better ways to use it. Does he now have two years remaining?

I don’t think anyone would disagree that if we let players transfer who are good and bring in transfers who are bad it will reflect poorly on coaches’ talent evaluations.

I think there’s a very reasonable thought that there are players in the transfer portal right now who are much more obviously “finished products” relative to Smith, and, if we can get them, we should. Ideally Smith sticks around as a walk on but if not it’s in theory a roster upgrade.

No one is saying we should take someone who projects to be worse than Smith over giving a spot to Smith.
Smith came for the J school and had his finances worked out so I really don't see him transferring

It’s crazy how long this Smith conversation has gone on. This is a discussion for this fall after the portal window. The reality is with Strauss leaving NU is still seeking a PG and a big and now also has a scholarship available for a shooter. NU isn’t going to pass on the opportunity to bring in a Langborg level contributor on the outside to give a scholarship to Smith. But NU may not be able to land a guy at all three spots and then it’ll be up to Collins if it’s worth giving Smith a scholarship for both of his remaining two seasons or if he’d rather keep his options open and potentially award Smith a scjollie only for his senior year. Thats gonna happen months and months from now.

Can Blake retroactively take a redshirt for his freshman year since he only appeared in three games? I'm not suggesting that I know the answer, but I thought the threshhold was a lot higher than that for a redshirt...

Can Blake retroactively take a redshirt for his freshman year since he only appeared in three games? I'm not suggesting that I know the answer, but I thought the threshhold was a lot higher than that for a redshirt...
For basketball, without injury the threshold is one appearance.

Reactions: Smolmania
No. Once you play in a single game you cannot redshirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smolmania

Sure. Get three of them. The finished products better than smith. I’m in.

Maybe he didn't like the winter weather?
Much much lesser basketball program. I’d guess we achieved an addition by subtraction on this one. Saw the writing on the wall that he didn’t have a path to playing time and wasn’t working out on a Big Ten roster, maybe had that confirmed by a frank conversation from CCC, and went to a lower level school where he can still get a well regarded Cal system public education and gets to enjoy warmer weather to boot.

If that’s the case that would be fantastic. Good luck to him I say, regardless.

Reactions: NJCat
Much much lesser basketball program. I’d guess we achieved an addition by subtraction on this one. Saw the writing on the wall that he didn’t have a path to playing time and wasn’t working out on a Big Ten roster, maybe had that confirmed by a frank conversation from CCC, and went to a lower level school where he can still get a well regarded Cal system public education and gets to enjoy warmer weather to boot.

If that’s the case that would be fantastic. Good luck to him I say, regardless.

Big step down academically and athletically.
50 miles inland from where he grew up in Newport Beach (Los Angeles).

Doesn't seem ideal. Hope things work out.

Yes, big step down athletically, which he may have needed to play, and a step down academically from a super elite school, but still a top 100 national university within a highly respected state U system, plus close to home and in a nice place he’s comfortable. Might just be awesome for him and he’s still in great all around spot. Its not like he transferred to New Hampshire Tech or some shit.

It is not really a knock on Collins if Strauss is successful somewhere else. As a Frosh, he was deemed not ready to play. He chose to move on. Collins job is to put the best team on the floor that he can and that means guys ready to fill a particular need are out there and guys that cannot fill a particular need are not. Doesn't mean they won't eventually get there but at that time they could not.

Neither was Mullins. He transferred in
Doesn't matter. It was Mullins first year in the system and Smith's second. Mullins seems to have a lot more overall capabilities than Smith but what he offered was more a duplication of what we already had on the floor. But Smith got his opportunity because injuries left them needing a guy to fill a nitch and Smith was able to do that better than anyone else on the roster.

Guys go to what they feel is the best fit for them. 50 miles from home is a lot better than across the country

Doesn't matter. It was Mullins first year in the system and Smith's second. Mullins seems to have a lot more overall capabilities than Smith but what he offered was more a duplication of what we already had on the floor. But Smith got his opportunity because injuries left them needing a guy to fill a nitch and Smith was able to do that better than anyone else on the roster.
I completely disagree. Head to head - Smith outplayed Mullins. Both are wings. If forced to pick only one, I would take smith based on actual B1G sample data. The fact one was on schollie and the other not seems unfair.

But looks like we are on the road to remedy that this off-season regardless of our collective thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT