ADVERTISEMENT

Strength and agility

CatsDad

Jun 18, 2015
One thing at Northwestern taken for granted is how well our players are developed. Coach Hooten and his staff do an outstanding job of developing our players. When Jango was being recruited the strength Coach was one of the biggest factors in determining where he would commit. My son has trained since 8 years old at Ignition APG, where some of the top players in the nation train (Luke Kuechly). I knew when Jango got to college he would need development, especially in size and strength. I had heard of Coach Hooten, and heard great things about him. Naturally I checked with people in the business, and they all spoke very highly of him. Then I checked with one of Northwesterns most athletic players. This players family is good friends with one of my best friends. He told me that the strength program was good, but in the past few years had gotten really good.( Some of the improvement was due to adding full time nutrition staff) I met Coach Hooten and his staff and you could tell they loved what they do and had upbeat energetic attitudes. Jango and I both knew we wanted Coach Hooten and his staff to develop Jango. We knew most of Jango's time would be with the strength staff. I am beyond pleased with my sons development and the eagerness of the strength staff to help and support our players. Jango often times does extra things to develop and get better, and our staff stays later and gives their time to help him get better. Fitz and his staff do a great job of finding quality recruits, but I also think they do a great job of finding quality coaches and support staff. Not just coaches who are great at coaching, but coaches who genuinely care about their players. Where else do you find coaches who genuinely love and care for their players? We have the best Strength team in the B1G. All things considered, there is no better place in the B1G than Northwestern. I couldn't be more pleased or excited to be a part of the Northwestern family. Looking forward to celebrating a great season with you all this year.

Last edited:
Glad to hear this from an insider. Fitz is super loyal to his staff (to a fault sometimes), but he switched to Hooten and a somewhat different approach from the past. The jury was still out until recently but your endorsement and positive comments by others make it seem the strength program is becoming, well, a strength of the program. :)

CatsDad: even with all the training he had before NU, you still see a noticeable difference in his development over the past year?

CatsDad: even with all the training he had before NU, you still see a noticeable difference in his development over the past year?

I cannot speak for CatsDad, but if you just look at his photos it looks like Jango has put on about 20 pounds of muscle.

Reactions: CatsDad
zob1ol.jpg
2dcddea.jpg
Jango just before arriving at Northwestern and at Pinstripe Jango has put on over 25 lbs of muscle and is still running sub 4.1 shuttles. He needs 5 to 10 more pounds of muscle in the next 6 months

Last edited:
Reactions: NUThump
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT