ADVERTISEMENT

Struggles in Headcount Sports

BarefootCat

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2017
The NCAA has headcount sports, which means every player gets a full-ride scholarship, and equivalency sports, which means that the scholarships are split among the players.

On the men's side, the two headcount sports are football and basketball.
On the women's side, the four headcount sports are basketball, volleyball, tennis and gymnastics.

Certainly, we've had good seasons in football and basketball and tennis, but it seems that NU struggles more with headcount sports, while consistently winning in equivalency sports (lax, field hockey, softball, etc.). While 'coaching' always matters and individuals like former VB Coach Shane Davis may not have been a great fit at NU, I think the headcount-equvalency split creates an interesting dynamic.

The professionalism of the basketball, volleyball and tennis circuit at the youth level is insane. Since there are full-ride opportunities, the best athletes often play these sports and the best athletes want to be "athletes". These athletes have been professionally training all through high school, often discounting academics for athletics (and switching schools and geographies), so NU's unique value proposition may not mean as much.

What your take?

Tennis might be an outlier in the headcount sports in that the top players don't go to college except, off the top of my head, John McEnroe and Todd Martin.

Reactions: hlstone
Tennis might be an outlier in the headcount sports in that the top players don't go to college except, off the top of my head, John McEnroe and Todd Martin.
That has been changing a bit. John Isner, Kevin Anderson, Cam Norrie, Chris Eubanks and now up and comer Ben Shelton all attended, for at least a year.

The NCAA has headcount sports, which means every player gets a full-ride scholarship, and equivalency sports, which means that the scholarships are split among the players.

On the men's side, the two headcount sports are football and basketball.
On the women's side, the four headcount sports are basketball, volleyball, tennis and gymnastics.

Certainly, we've had good seasons in football and basketball and tennis, but it seems that NU struggles more with headcount sports, while consistently winning in equivalency sports (lax, field hockey, softball, etc.). While 'coaching' always matters and individuals like former VB Coach Shane Davis may not have been a great fit at NU, I think the headcount-equvalency split creates an interesting dynamic.

The professionalism of the basketball, volleyball and tennis circuit at the youth level is insane. Since there are full-ride opportunities, the best athletes often play these sports and the best athletes want to be "athletes". These athletes have been professionally training all through high school, often discounting academics for athletics (and switching schools and geographies), so NU's unique value proposition may not mean as much.

What your take?
The unique value proposition explains why NU women are able to do well in many sports.

NU's education is 2nd to none. When my kid was recruited, she was given 5 days to make a decision before the coaches moved on to another player.

She accepted the offer by the end of the first phone call.

She valued academics#1, atmosphere #2, and great team #3.

She didn't even ask my opinion on the matter. (I wanted her to go to Harvard or Cornell) She just said NU was the place for her.

Needless to say, I am one proud dad and root for every NU program and happy that she is part of your family!

Merry Christmas!!!

NU's education is 2nd to none. When my kid was recruited, she was given 5 days to make a decision before the coaches moved on to another player.

She accepted the offer by the end of the first phone call.

She valued academics#1, atmosphere #2, and great team #3.

She didn't even ask my opinion on the matter. (I wanted her to go to Harvard or Cornell) She just said NU was the place for her.

Needless to say, I am one proud dad and root for every NU program and happy that she is part of your family!

Merry Christmas!!!

Curious as to the financial implications in the decision. Aren’t all WLAX at NU on full scholarship? How do the Ivy’s handle cost of attendance since they don’t technically offer “athletic” scholarships?

Curious as to the financial implications in the decision. Aren’t all WLAX at NU on full scholarship? How do the Ivy’s handle cost of attendance since they don’t technically offer “athletic” scholarships?

WLax players are definitely not all on full scholarship. There are only 12 scholarships available to be split among ~40 players.

All costs would have been covered by the ivy's. Our income level is low enough to qualify for full merit assistance for ivy's.

At NU it's 50% merit, 35% academic, and the rest athletic.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
All costs would have been covered by the ivy's. Our income level is low enough to qualify for full merit assistance for ivy's.

At NU it's 50% merit, 35% academic, and the rest athletic.

What’s your definition of merit and academic? I thought NU only gave athletic scholarships and financial aid based on income/assets, and never for academic smarts (bc all the students are smart). Has this changed?

Last edited:
What’s your definition of merit and academic? I thought NU only gave athletic scholarships and financial aid based on income/assets, and never for academic smarts (bc all the students are smart). Has this changed?
No, and the Ivies also give need based, not merit based, aid. I believe there is just a confusion of terminology here.

Reactions: hlstone and DaCat

No, and the Ivies also give need based, not merit based, aid. I believe there is just a confusion of terminology here.
It's my understanding that almost all NU varsity athletes are covered by some form or scholarship, just from different buckets.

Sorry for the miscommunication. My bad, yes 50% need based

She is receiving 35% academic. She was #1 in her class and had a crazy high score on SAT.

I have no idea how she got so smart, clearly not me. But, I sure did play a lot of sports with this cool kiddo. She is blessed to be part of your fine institution.

Reactions: DaCat
WLax players are definitely not all on full scholarship. There are only 12 scholarships available to be split among ~40 players.
Holy moley, our LAX team has 40 players?

If true that means 0.5% of our undergraduate population are on the team, and it’s nearly half the size of the football team.

Amonte Hiller now has an army after she first started off having to recruit athletes on campus decades ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT