ADVERTISEMENT

Study examines 111 brains of former NFL players. 110 it turns out have CTE

It's a pretty intersting study/result. If you played youth through High School you have very minimal problems. It's college/NFL that really causes the damage.

I'd expect to see more 6'8 270 lb athletic freaks look to become the next Aaron Judge in the future.

That being said the game is much safer today than it was in the past. They barely allow any hitting in practice/training camp anymore.

My friend who is a professor at Michigan State and authored a book about brain injuries in sports wrote this:

My friend who is a professor at Michigan State and authored a book about brain injuries in sports wrote this:
OMG!!!! She's a denier!!!

j/k Very reasoned explanation of the assumptions of the study cited and appropriate conclusions to draw from it at this time. Interesting to note that preliminary science + media = absolute conclusion. It will be interesting to see if this absolute conclusion being reached by the masses biases the future route of the science and funding.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
The first thing I wondered was if the sample was random or not. It is still a lot of brain injuries. The question is, are there enough changes in rules and equipment and behavior to reduce the risk to a reasonable level. and what is a reasonable level?

It is troubling but you do have to remember that this was nowhere near a random sample as it was100% from brains donated likely because of problems that these ex players experienced already. I would fully expect a very high rate in this sample group.

Again this was also from pro players who had likely played several years from guys who went through their careers a number of years ago before some of the new rules were put in place. What will be interesting to see is that while we are seeing that long term exposure is certainly a risk, how much of that risk is incurred at different levels. Long term exposure in the pros can definitely be a problem, especially with the old rules. Lots of contact in practices as well as what occurred in games plus longer seasons, etc. To what extent is it cumulative and it sort of an exponential effect? How much damage occurred up through college and how much for each year of pros. Maybe not a safe level but safer levels.

The first thing I wondered was if the sample was random or not. It is still a lot of brain injuries. The question is, are there enough changes in rules and equipment and behavior to reduce the risk to a reasonable level. and what is a reasonable level?
Would definitely not be random. There is definitely a large amount of pre selection going on. First they likely felt that they had something going on. Then the offered up their brains and third they died, likely young. Likely the most affected.

It's terrifying. As much as I love watching the sport my kids aren't playing. How much longer can we keep glorifying the sport with these stats? As usually Barstool posted one of the best articles on it.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/newyo...that-had-their-brains-studied-for-cte-had-cte
I am not ready to come to grips with my own hypocrisy. I love watching college football, especially the Cats.

But this sport does life-threatening damage to young bodies. It's not remotely safe.

Reactions: lunker35
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT