ADVERTISEMENT

Takeaways: Boo breaks scoring record in win over Michigan

Michigan was on fire early, racing out to a 16-5 lead in the first 6:37.

Then we outscored Michigan 71-40, taking a 20 point lead into the final 1:37. Michigan got a few buckets in garbage time.

NU held MU to 22 points in 18+ minutes in the second half.
With 12:30 to go in the first half we had scored 5 points. It occurred to me we were on pace to score 13 in the first half. Then we hit a triple and things got better.

It occurs to me this makes another big moment in NU history with Michigan participating.
I hadn't thought about that, but you're right. In football and hoop.

'95 in Ann Arbor was NU's most impressive win
'96 fourth-quarter comeback at Dyche
54-51 in 2000 was one of the most influential games in CFB history
Taphorn to Pardon: Enough said
Boo's record-breaking night

That's a pretty amazing list. Though in football, just about every win over Michigan is a big one for NU, while for Michigan, wins over NU are expected and not at all memorable. Less so in basketball.

I can only think of two memorable or significant NU losses during that entire span, both in football: 2012, when NU lost it in OT after DJ Jones tipped a pass that was caught in the final seconds, and the M00N game -- though that one sticks in my mind because of both teams' ineptitude.

Reactions: DaCat and EagerFan
Michigan was on fire early, racing out to a 16-5 lead in the first 6:37.

Then we outscored Michigan 71-40, taking a 20 point lead into the final 1:37. Michigan got a few buckets in garbage time.

NU held MU to 22 points in 18+ minutes in the second half.
I saw only the "bad" parts. Followed otherwise on my phone. Any win against Mich is great

Reactions: Hungry Jack

That's a pretty amazing list. Though in football, just about every win over Michigan is a big one for NU, while for Michigan, wins over NU are expected and not at all memorable. Less so in basketball.

I can only think of two memorable or significant NU losses during that entire span, both in football: 2012, when NU lost it in OT after DJ Jones tipped a pass that was caught in the final seconds, and the M00N game -- though that one sticks in my mind because of both teams' ineptitude.
The tipped pass game was especially painful. I’ve never had fans in an opposing stadium apologize/console me after a loss.

Don't forget March 12, 1994. Ricky Birdsong's Cats beat Michigan with 4 of the Fab 5 still on that team to secure a winning season and an NIT bid. Capped off the great careers of Kevin Rankin, Pat Baldwin, Todd Leslie and Kip Kirkpatrick. Maybe the biggest major sport win for NU that I had seen up to that point.

Are you implying that the 2013 3OT loss where regulation ended 9-9 wasn't memorable? Because I remember every painful minute of that game real well.

And of course, as mentioned recently in a different thread, the Tre Demps game with a double overtime victory. Of course, the recent basketball memories are stronger for me because I was there for them :)

Don't forget March 12, 1994. Ricky Birdsong's Cats beat Michigan with 4 of the Fab 5 still on that team to secure a winning season and an NIT bid. Capped off the great careers of Kevin Rankin, Pat Baldwin, Todd Leslie and Kip Kirkpatrick. Maybe the biggest major sport win for NU that I had seen up to that point.
Great win! Forgot about that one.

Reactions: PURPLECAT88

Although we lost (to Tom Brady) how can you forget the Mud Bowl LOL.

You're referring to the 1998 12-6 loss. I still consider that the rainiest, wettest day of my 58 years on earth.
Me too, though I remember being so soaked in the 1991 game against Illinois that I did not hesitate to run into Lake Michigan with the goal posts.

Reactions: catcrazy
Me too, though I remember being so soaked in the 1991 game against Illinois that I did not hesitate to run into Lake Michigan with the goal posts.
That was the orange and grape soda game, right? We were in all purple and I think they were in all orange.

• Haha
Reactions: DaCat and NUCat320
You're referring to the 1998 12-6 loss. I still consider that the rainiest, wettest day of my 58 years on earth.
This road win was almost as ugly weather-wise, but a win. Ohhhh RichRod.

I have a MI/NU story.

I lived in the Ann Arbor area for 3 years. I had a very nice 80 yo neighbor called Roger. He loved football and, weirdly I thought, he loved hanging out with me. I was 29 when we met. So we went to 2 or 3 games together.

At a point he surprised me as he had bought tickets for the game against NU. It was snowing that day. Stadium was still like 1/2 full at kick off. It was windy, snow was blowing, drifting, it was creating a slush against your clothes... We decided to leave at half time. Stadium was less than a 1/4 full at that point. Roger waited at the door as I walked 10 minutes to go get his tiny car. He could not walk, let alone drive, he was too cold.

I saw the end of the game at home, NU won. Few weeks later I learned Roger, as a result of going to the game, had been pretty sick for two weeks.

I felt I almost killed Roger. Like a willing helper to his 2 packs of ciggies a day.

Roger died a couple years after I moved. His son was kind enough to let me know.

I have a MI/NU story.

I lived in the Ann Arbor area for 3 years. I had a very nice 80 yo neighbor called Roger. He loved football and, weirdly I thought, he loved hanging out with me. I was 29 when we met. So we went to 2 or 3 games together.

At a point he surprised me as he had bought tickets for the game against NU. It was snowing that day. Stadium was still like 1/2 full at kick off. It was windy, snow was blowing, drifting, it was creating a slush against your clothes... We decided to leave at half time. Stadium was less than a 1/4 full at that point. Roger waited at the door as I walked 10 minutes to go get his tiny car. He could not walk, let alone drive, he was too cold.

I saw the end of the game at home, NU won. Few weeks later I learned Roger, as a result of going to the game, had been pretty sick for two weeks.

I felt I almost killed Roger. Like a willing helper to his 2 packs of ciggies a day.

Roger died a couple years after I moved. His son was kind enough to let me know.
Wait.... I got lost in this story along the way. You went to an NU-Michigan football game in Ann Arbor and we won? And you left early?

Wait.... I got lost in this story along the way. You went to an NU-Michigan football game in Ann Arbor and we won? And you left early?
You got that right.

I believe this was the game, from the AP article:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm sick to my stomach right now," senior safety Brandon Harrison said.

Many fans likely felt the same way, leaving Michigan Stadium mostly empty in the second half because of subfreezing wind chill, rain, sleet and snow along with poor play.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: TheC

That road win was much worse. 33 degrees and driving rain. 2 degrees colder and it would have been a fun, snowy game.

That road win was much worse. 33 degrees and driving rain. 2 degrees colder and it would have been a fun, snowy game.
I was at that game with my wife and daughter both Michigan grads and her husband. They left early to go to the Red Hawk for drinks. I stayed and enjoyed another Cat victory over the Wolverines

Reactions: DaCat

And the 2013 with the sketchy last second field goal. Three years of excruciating losses

Rain was running down the steps of Ryan Field like a waterfall for that one. NU moved D'Wayne Bates to quarterback just to cut out the middle men and reduce ballhandling. I think my back is still wet.

I thought about that game, but it was just an ugly, brutal slog. It was a win, but Michigan was terrible.

I was at that game with my wife and daughter both Michigan grads and her husband. They left early to go to the Red Hawk for drinks. I stayed and enjoyed another Cat victory over the Wolverines
You are a better man than me. Only game I ever left because of weather. Would have helped if I had worn any rain gear.

No. The M00N game in 2014 was Felon Frank Clark breaking up our 2 pt conversion. I think he was suspended or arrested soon after.
Yeah, the M00N game ended when Trevor Siemian tripped over his own feet on the potential game-winning 2-pt conversion at the end of regulation down 10-9.

No. The M00N game in 2014 was Felon Frank Clark breaking up our 2 pt conversion. I think he was suspended or arrested soon after.
You are correct. I got my years mixed up and my foggy memory kinda put the two games together.

2013 was also an ugly game, ending regulation 9-9 on a very questionable last-second field goal referenced above. Michigan won, 27-19, in three OTs.

2014 was the MOON game, scoreless until late in the third, and Michigan won 10-9.

What a horrendous couple of games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT