ADVERTISEMENT

Texas transfers

Catreporter

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2007
I'm all for the players sharing in the revenue of college sports, but reading about Texas, which had a pretty good pre-NIL and restricted transfering team last year, gives me pause. New coach Butch Beard brought in six high profile transfers, including Minnesota's Marcus Carr. Sounds like pro basketball free agency to me, and if you want to watch that, we've already got the NBA. I know the student-athlete concept is pretty outmoded in these days of big money sports, but I'm not sure I want to root for a group of transient mercenaries.

I'm all for the players sharing in the revenue of college sports, but reading about Texas, which had a pretty good pre-NIL and restricted transfering team last year, gives me pause. New coach Butch Beard brought in six high profile transfers, including Minnesota's Marcus Carr. Sounds like pro basketball free agency to me, and if you want to watch that, we've already got the NBA. I know the student-athlete concept is pretty outmoded in these days of big money sports, but I'm not sure I want to root for a group of transient mercenaries.
One and dones are basically mercenaries anyway.

Have you seen the rosters on many big ten teams, Minnesota, Nebby etc. loaded with transfers.

Have you seen the rosters on many big ten teams, Minnesota, Nebby etc. loaded with transfers.
To your point, this year Illinois has 2 incoming transfers, Indiana 4, Iowa 1, Michigan 1, MSU 3, Maryland 6, Minny 8, Nebraska 3, OSU 3, PSU 4, Rutgers 2, Wisconsin 3.

Purdue is the only B1G team without an incoming transfer this year.

Mercenaries is a great word, Reporter. It's how I feel as the tradition of conference play is whittled away.

I'm sure it's how mid-majors feel as their coaches are regulaly poached and their opportunities are reduced more and more.

The institutions and the conferences created the mercenary culture long before the players.

I don't know how the NCAA, conferences and institutions can continue to ignore the differences between the P5s and the have nots. NIL is only going to exacerbate it. At some point, they need to admit it and make some HUGE changes that even the playing field. Otherwise, you won't be the only fan they lose. I think we're already seeing the health of the golden goose on the decline.

With that said, Im interested to see if transfers continue at the same pace as they did last year. I think people are underrating the effect of the pandemic last year.

Players needed to make school decisions based on Zoom meetings. Once they were on campus, the atmosphere wasn't the same.

Im not arguing the transfer thing isn't a problem. But I bet it will peak last summer and next summer. Then, the transfer rate will settle down a bit.

Reactions: WildcatWillie
Mercenaries is a great word, Reporter. It's how I feel as the tradition of conference play is whittled away.

I'm sure it's how mid-majors feel as their coaches are regulaly poached and their opportunities are reduced more and more.

The institutions and the conferences created the mercenary culture long before the players.

I don't know how the NCAA, conferences and institutions can continue to ignore the differences between the P5s and the have nots. NIL is only going to exacerbate it. At some point, they need to admit it and make some HUGE changes that even the playing field. Otherwise, you won't be the only fan they lose. I think we're already seeing the health of the golden goose on the decline.
What changes are going to restore the health of the golden goose?

I don't have the time to go back and forth about the changes. But we all know the problems of the P5 institutions - the true power brokers.

* Do they need the NCAA?
* Do they think this model can be revised or do they need to start working with the NBA on the idea of a minor-league system?
* Do they want mid-majors as part of the equation?
* If mid-majors are part of the P5 group, how do they address the revenue, NIL and competitive gap?
* Do they want to slow down the sports factories and make education a higher priority?
* The mercenary questions ...
Can they work with the NBA to get better players to stay longer?
How can they get coaches to be more committed to their schools? If coaches don't like the player movement (and none of them do) as well as CatReporter, what are the NABC and institutions going to offer in return?
* How can the regular season be more valuable and more interesting to the casual viewer?

And that's just off the top of my head.

I have answers for all of these but I'm just a shmuck on a message board. The P5s institutions are the ones who truly need to decide if they like today's revenue or the integrity and long-term financial health of the sport. If they're too stupid to see the direction this is going over the long haul, c'est la vie.

If they could truly address even half of these issues, it would be a miracle. These issues didn't just happen overnight. These issues have been escalating for decades, and barely anything is done except to count the cash. It's time for the institutions to pick a lane and decide what they want to be, or the value of the sport will continue to drop.

The game and interest in the game is a far cry from what it once was, and the stats show it. Final Four viewing is 1/3 - 1/2 of what it was in the 90s. And I can't believe TV revenue will be the same with regional sports networks under more scrutiny.

I think we're starting to see the second generation who just doesn't give a damn. They're smart enough to ignore it and turn away from the hypocrisy. I wonder how that will effect revenue and fundraising when schools want to build new stadiums in 2040.

That Texas team is ranked second by SI because of the transfer class. I wonder how many guys Chris Beard ran off to get room on his roster?

That Texas team is ranked second by SI because of the transfer class. I wonder how many guys Chris Beard ran off to get room on his roster?

It's hard to begrudge someone like Marcus Carr getting a better opportunity at UT. He was the best player on some bad Minnesota teams and left after his own coach was fired. Running off players is bad and should be outlawed in any way possible. But as long as coaches get hired and fired, they're going to change their systems and leave good players under one regime facing no playing time in the next one. It's better that the athletes themselves have every opportunity to maximize their eligibility, even if it causes some whiplash for fans.

I don't have the time to go back and forth about the changes. But we all know the problems of the P5 institutions - the true power brokers.

* Do they need the NCAA?
* Do they think this model can be revised or do they need to start working with the NBA on the idea of a minor-league system?
* Do they want mid-majors as part of the equation?
* If mid-majors are part of the P5 group, how do they address the revenue, NIL and competitive gap?
* Do they want to slow down the sports factories and make education a higher priority?
* The mercenary questions ...
Can they work with the NBA to get better players to stay longer?
How can they get coaches to be more committed to their schools? If coaches don't like the player movement (and none of them do) as well as CatReporter, what are the NABC and institutions going to offer in return?
* How can the regular season be more valuable and more interesting to the casual viewer?

And that's just off the top of my head.

I have answers for all of these but I'm just a shmuck on a message board. The P5s institutions are the ones who truly need to decide if they like today's revenue or the integrity and long-term financial health of the sport. If they're too stupid to see the direction this is going over the long haul, c'est la vie.

If they could truly address even half of these issues, it would be a miracle. These issues didn't just happen overnight. These issues have been escalating for decades, and barely anything is done except to count the cash. It's time for the institutions to pick a lane and decide what they want to be, or the value of the sport will continue to drop.

The game and interest in the game is a far cry from what it once was, and the stats show it. Final Four viewing is 1/3 - 1/2 of what it was in the 90s. And I can't believe TV revenue will be the same with regional sports networks under more scrutiny.

I think we're starting to see the second generation who just doesn't give a damn. They're smart enough to ignore it and turn away from the hypocrisy. I wonder how that will effect revenue and fundraising when schools want to build new stadiums in 2040.
They did pick a lane and lane is money. Has been for at least the last couple decades and that will never change back.

It's hard to begrudge someone like Marcus Carr getting a better opportunity at UT. He was the best player on some bad Minnesota teams and left after his own coach was fired. Running off players is bad and should be outlawed in any way possible. But as long as coaches get hired and fired, they're going to change their systems and leave good players under one regime facing no playing time in the next one. It's better that the athletes themselves have every opportunity to maximize their eligibility, even if it causes some whiplash for fans.
This.

A system that optimizes the situation for athletes is different than one that optimizes the situation for fans...at least with how college sports are currently organized and marketed. Ultimately, I don't see the majority of fans being as interested in the scholar-athlete ideal as they are in "their team". If college sports are just pro sports with less talent, we should pull the band-aid off and treat them as the minor leagues they are becoming/have become.

There's a chance he did not run off any players. Coaches leave, players join transfer portal. From my research, Texas is, along with Indiana, the program that lost the least amount of players after the coach left.

With number of players who entered portal - all power conferences, starting by the B1G - might have missed some program who lost its coach:
Minnesota - 10
Penn State - 8
Indiana - 5
Arizona - 8
Boston College - 7
Cincinnati - 6 (not power, but close)
DePaul - 9
Iowa State - 9
Marquette - 8
Oklahoma - 8
Texas - 5
Texas Tech - 8

Reactions: NJCat
They did pick a lane and lane is money. Has been for at least the last couple decades and that will never change back.
Yeah, let's ask the question, then ignore any complexity to the discussion and do nothing. That's a good approach.

You should apply for a position on the NCAA board.

most coaches at mid-majors don't actually view their jobs as their ultimate career goal. Many of them are using it as a stepping stone to try to get a better job at a bigger school. That hasn't really changed at any point recently.

Yeah, let's ask the question, then ignore any complexity to the discussion and do nothing. That's a good approach.

You should apply for a position on the NCAA board.
This isn’t the 80’s when I actually dealt with those idiots in the NCAA. They got exactly what they deserved, a figurehead role with limited powers.

Now I’ll get off your lawn as I walk over to the wizard of Westwood’s house to congratulate him on another Natty.

Not a good academic situation where you are changing schools! Hard to adjust sometimes, plus added hoops pressure! Not sure this transfer thing is good! I wanted to transfer out of NU due to not starting too! Stupid thought as NU is an amazing school once you wake up and smell the roses 🌹! Looking back, I’m glad I stunk as a big ten wrestler as it opened my eyes to a beautiful campus while saving me from surgery and cauliflower ears!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT