ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you CaliforniaCat!

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I'm taking your advice and listening to WGN and syncing up with the TV. It's a much better experience, and I can even put my headphones on when various family members are just being too noisy.

This might be harder to do in a game with lots of highlights that I want to rewind, but it's certainly a better experience listening to Eanet than whoever is doing the game for ABC/ESPN.

I'm taking your advice and listening to WGN and syncing up with the TV. It's a much better experience, and I can even put my headphones on when various family members are just being too noisy.

This might be harder to do in a game with lots of highlights that I want to rewind, but it's certainly a better experience listening to Eanet than whoever is doing the game or ESPN.
Ditto!

Reactions: rmndcat

This might be harder to do in a game with lots of highlights that I want to rewind, but it's certainly a better experience listening to Eanet than whoever is doing the game for ABC/ESPN.

That's great. I'm delighted to know that both you and Rodenthater are enjoying the Cats better this way. Just wait until we starting winning some, which will happen, and it will double your enjoyment again.

Reactions: drewjin and rmndcat
I tried it too - great advice!

Glad to hear you tried it and liked it, and thanks for letting me know.

I've been doing this same post at the beginning of the season for quite a few years, but this is the first time three people have said they are doing it. Makes it very worthwhile for me to write the post.

And don't forget, it works just as well for basketball.

I wasn’t planning on doing it this week, but I was late getting home and missed the beginning, so I put on WGN in my car. D realized how much I liked hearing Eanet.

How much better an experience was it? Did we beat Wisconsin?

Last edited:
I wasn’t planning on doing it this week, but I was late getting home and missed the beginning, so I put on WGN in my car. D realized how much I liked hearing Eanet.

For me it makes a huge difference in enjoying the game. Even if we don't win. Really glad to hear that you are experiencing the same thing.

I have tried this but the tv and radio are too many seconds apart...I missed how you sync them....could you explain how to do it?

I have tried this but the tv and radio are too many seconds apart...I missed how you sync them....could you explain how to do it?

Glad to explain it.

You obviously have to use a DVR and be recording the game. In the case of DirecTV and Dish there is very little, if any, delay from the live action. However, the wgnam.com Internet stream is delayed about 1 to 2 minutes behind the live action, which is what makes this possible.

Pause the DVR at the first kickoff exactly when the kicker's foot hits the football. Then wait. Dave will be talking about something else, but will finally get to the kickoff itself. He will say something like "here is the run up, and the kick" When he says the word "kick" press the start button. You have to be quick in order to get it synced perfectly. But even if you are off a little it's still very watchable.

With Direct it's very easy to adjust back and forth by a few seconds if you didn't get it perfect. With Dish, however, it's difficult. We recently switched from Direct to Dish and the Hopper controls are a nightmare. Direct is very simple.

If you are using an Internet feed for the TV, like YouTube, I don't know what happens. There could be Internet delays that are comparable to the wgnam.com delays themselves. And if they exceed the wgnam.com delay, then this cannot be done.

Once you get it synced don't touch anything. The wgnam.com delay has been very stable lately, even through halftime and commercials. Last week mine stayed perfectly synced all the way to the end of the game. Sometimes, though you have to make some minor adjustments after a while.

Whew.

(Seriously, I plan on using this for the Nebby game. Thanks!)

It's not as difficult as it sounds. Pretty easy actually. If you don't have good sync, then just do it again on the next very sharp event. Like a kick off, or even a snap to the QB. With just a little practice it becomes very easy.

Been streaming WGN on TuneIn app, sync with the TV for several years.
Better to listen to Eanet calling their game - win or lose.
Unfortunately, the delay can be as much as several minutes, which can ruin the outcome of some plays, if texting about the game with other NU friends watching live.

Been streaming WGN on TuneIn app, sync with the TV for several years.
Better to listen to Eanet calling their game - win or lose.
Unfortunately, the delay can be as much as several minutes, which can ruin the outcome of some plays, if texting about the game with other NU friends watching live.

Simple solution. Get your friends to sync up Dave as well, so you will all be on the same delay. Then they can enjoy the game as much as you.

Easiest way to sync in my opinion is when the ref is talking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT