ADVERTISEMENT

The 3-2-1 going into Week 2

@mikefitz77 has three things we learned, two questions we're asking, and one bold prediction heading into the Duke game this Friday.
Nice summary, Mike. While I didn’t have a stopwatch handy, one impression I had was that the offensive plays developed more quickly than under Jake, which if true May have helped with sacks but also contributed to the issues cited. I expect the issues to be cleaned up in the next few games, and really liked what I saw on offense despite the warts.

While I didn’t have a stopwatch handy, one impression I had was that the offensive plays developed more quickly than under Jake, which if true May have helped with sacks but also contributed to the issues cited.
Braun made the point in his post-game presser that the best way to avoid sacks is to get the ball out on time, which agrees with your observation.

Good writeup. I love the Bold Prediction. Kirtz is a really good player.

Very good observation on the three-and-outs — just one for a Cats offense is a pretty good achievement. Probably why the offense ‘felt’ better than the numbers showed in the end.

Reactions: No Chores
Braun made the point in his post-game presser that the best way to avoid sacks is to get the ball out on time, which agrees with your observation.
Can you please provide a link to the post-game presser. I can't find it anywhere. Thanks.

I didn’t see thin at DB. I saw 4 capable CBs and three safeties with one more (Walters) coming on quickly.
Agree entirely.

NU hasn’t started a bad DB in a looooong time. The consistent depth that NU has recruited and coached up is staggering.

Smith and Turner and Fitzgerald look like ballers, and Theran Johnson stepped in and looked like a shutdown guy.

When Coco went down, I was breathing into a paper bag. No stat line to speak of, but he's the man
We are deeper back there than you think. not a coincidence that his replacement, Fitzgerald, made the game sealing interceptions. FItz recruited pretty well the last couple years despite some significant obstacles. Let’s hope Braun can keep it up.

When Coco went down, I was breathing into a paper bag. No stat line to speak of, but he's the man
Me too but the way he was walking looked like it was a charley horse. Probably got a helmet right on the top of the quad.

Nice summary, Mike. While I didn’t have a stopwatch handy, one impression I had was that the offensive plays developed more quickly than under Jake, which if true May have helped with sacks but also contributed to the issues cited. I expect the issues to be cleaned up in the next few games, and really liked what I saw on offense despite the
I guess PFF had a stopwatch. David Gold at Inside NU wrote:
“The PFF stat that stood out the most was Wright getting rid of the ball in 2.46 seconds on average, keeping the offense in rhythm throughout the game. For reference, Ben Bryant got the ball out in 2.62 seconds last year, while Brendan Sullivan took 3.25 seconds to get rid off the football.”

Reactions: NUCat320
“The PFF stat that stood out the most was Wright getting rid of the ball in 2.46 seconds on average, keeping the offense in rhythm throughout the game. For reference, Ben Bryant got the ball out in 2.62 seconds last year, while Brendan Sullivan took 3.25 seconds to get rid off the football.”
We’ll need something similar this week. Duke can really get after the QB. Hoping we can use that aggressiveness against them with a few successful screen passes and/or counters.

Offensive design has to matter a lot here too. Very good news.

We’ll need something similar this week. Duke can really get after the QB. Hoping we can use that aggressiveness against them with a few successful screen passes and/or counters.
Windy on the Third Coast today. We’ll see how much passing anyone does.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT