ADVERTISEMENT

The Case for Coach Fitzgerald being Reinstated

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
OK, this was posted initially on the pay board, but seems to have generated some thoughtful responses there so maybe there will be more here too. Some of the responsive comments regard whether an attorney looking for clients to join in on a 40% contingency fee lawsuit somehow alters Coach Fitzgerald's otherwise lack of culpability. I do note that the statement of the attorney soliciting clients is revealing. He states, "This is not a case about Coach Fitzgerald." This suggests two things. First, the potential claimants already contacted are not accusing Coach Fitzgerald of having knowledge of the "hazing;" and two, that to get other players to consider joining, the assurance is being implied that "we won't be suing your coach." Instead the quoted narrative from the law firm makes reference to some unnamed administrator(s) who may have known.

(As to the 40% contingency I don't know where that came from but at least in my practice I only charge a 40% fee for cases that have a high degrees of risk and difficulty. Of course, not practicing in Illinois I don't know what the norm is there.)

Anyway, here is my posting from over on the other board:

Now that it is has become abundantly clear through Lou's impressive efforts reaching out to past and current players that there was no personal involvement by Coach Fitzgerald in the "hazing" and that asserted clapping by him at games to signal needed punishment was a made up lie by Mr. "Whistleblower" perpetuated by a student newspaper article that even one of the trustees initially endorsed, the case for reinstatement of Coach Fitzgerald emerges.

Apart from being a viable alternative to a likely 50 million plus payout to resolve a wrongful firing lawsuit, it could actually result in some degree of confidence in a University administration that has already demonstrated its ability to modify positions and even save the University President himself being let go by the Board of Trustees.

The fact that Coach Fitzgerald's supporting staff remains in place also makes reinstatement pragmatically possible. We might even see some of those portal players opting back into the program, not to mention how united the team will likely be as they play to win under a coach they clearly revered and respected and recognize to have been wronged.

Last edited:
NU football is screwed regardless in the short to medium term, even if Fitz was reinstated. Fitz's coaching career hit it's zenith in 2018. He lost Hankwitz to retirement and the outstanding defense he relied on to bail out his ball control offense collapsed. His recruiting has been abysmal as of late to say the least. We have to rely on the portal for our QBs now, and even then, those guys have sucked, with the exception of Ramsey, who was just an efficient game manager for the most part. NUs best WR in the last 20 years or so was a frigging walk on. Fitz needed to inject some life into the offense with a new scheme, but failed to do so. The administration is another hurdle. They need to make up their minds of where they want to go with football. Do they want to grow the brand or not? That grandiose athletic center they have had me thinking they really wanted to build the program up, but now I am not sure they know what they want. Only way to get the excitement back is to get an innovative coach in the near future.

Once the details of the depraved acts that committed on school grounds were made public there was no way Fitz could survive. The only thing that could have saved Fitz would have been outward denial that these things occurred. They were all corroborated. He needed to go whether he had knowledge of not. He’s the head football coach and it’s his job to know what’s going on.

Once the details of the depraved acts that committed on school grounds were made public there was no way Fitz could survive. The only thing that could have saved Fitz would have been outward denial that these things occurred. They were all corroborated. He needed to go whether he had knowledge of not. He’s the head football coach and it’s his job to know what’s going on.
You will never be picked for a jury panel.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Scorched earth.

It truly makes me sad how this has all gone, as I know it does for most people here. I believe Fitz is a fundamentally good man and better than the worst thing he's ever done (which probably isn't even this, if we're being honest).

...but the sooner we get over it, the sooner we can move on. That goes for Fitz, too.

Reactions: Figrating
The fact that Coach Fitzgerald's supporting staff remains in place also makes reinstatement pragmatically possible.

The only reason this was done was to make sure all the witnesses and defendants would be at hand for the impending court proceedings.

In addition, it announces that NU is ONLY concerned with somehow navigating their way out the screamin' mess and NU football can fall where it may until maybe sometime in 2024.

In the meantime, the court proceedings could ID a number of sex criminals that would be kicked out of school or fired, taking another huge bite out of the team.

The team desperately needs a HC that has what it takes to rebuild NU football. But with the disinterested folks NU has at the wheel - "weasels" seems kind - the team is going to suffer without one. Big time. Fans too.

Reactions: 2388bb and zanycat
Looks like journalist Jim O'Donnell would agree with the premises supporting Coach Fitzgerald's reinstatement.

Coach Fitzgerald wronged
I am with you Alaska, he is not without fault but he has been clearly scapegoated. Given the circumstances, the accounts from many other players which conflict with the perspectives of the accusers, and coach Fitz's incredible contributions and loyalty to NU over the years, a significant suspension with a plan in place to make sure these things never happened again would have been the right course of action. Having said all that, we are well past that point. I am afraid I see no scenario under which Fitz would be offered or would want to be reinstated as NU Football's head coach.

NUs best WR in the last 20 years or so was a frigging walk on. Fitz needed to inject some life into the offense with a new scheme, but failed to do so.

I can’t debate the other stuff anymore. Carr was excellent (the 54-40 or fight game against MSU comes to mind) but I think I’d still take Ebert?

No matter how wrong NU turns out to be in firing Fitz, the University would never reinstate him. That would require the President and Board to acknowledge that they were wrong and threw an innocent guy under the bus to respond to bad press. They will pay him a large settlement under legal pressure, they will live with an obvious contradiction of Firing the Coach who did not know, while retaining assistant coaches and avoiding punishment of actual perpetrator players. And they will retain an Athletic Director who oversaw all this. It’s ugly, it’s unfair and it is how most institutions, businesses and governments operate.

No matter how wrong NU turns out to be in firing Fitz, the University would never reinstate him. That would require the President and Board to acknowledge that they were wrong and threw an innocent guy under the bus to respond to bad press. They will pay him a large settlement under legal pressure, they will live with an obvious contradiction of Firing the Coach who did not know, while retaining assistant coaches and avoiding punishment of actual perpetrator players. And they will retain an Athletic Director who oversaw all this. It’s ugly, it’s unfair and it is how most institutions, businesses and governments operate.
Slight correction. Poorly lead institutions do these things.

Reality though is that a lot of people will follow Fitz out the door over this whole mess.

It's hard to raise money from donors that had close relationships with Fitz with a president/AD involved in a mess like this, so you can imagine those 2 being out eventually.

And we'll likely try to bring in a new HC next year to bring his own staff and build his own program. So yeah, there's going to be questions about the football staff as well.

As for @Alaskawildkat's OP, I just don't see how a reinstatement would work at this point. Some form of hazing did happen across multiple programs and now a lot of the AD is tainted. Regardless of Fitz's personal circumstances, he'll always be tainted by this even if he wasn't a specific part of the problem like Foster in the baseball mess.

Reactions: drewjin and hdhntr1
I am with you Alaska, he is not without fault but he has been clearly scapegoated. Given the circumstances, the accounts from many other players which conflict with the perspectives of the accusers, and coach Fitz's incredible contributions and loyalty to NU over the years, a significant suspension with a plan in place to make sure these things never happened again would have been the right course of action. Having said all that, we are well past that point. I am afraid I see no scenario under which Fitz would be offered or would want to be reinstated as NU Football's head coach.
While he may deserve a second chance, hard to see him getting one. And after all the smears, hard to see him getting one anywhere else,

Barnett at Colorado, 2004.
Thought he was just gone, Did not realize that they had reinstated him. In any event, they found a way to get rid of him shortly after. And never another HC job. And that was not even in the environment we have today

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT