ADVERTISEMENT

The Four Fs, maybe five, that drive new Northwestern AD Mark Jackson

mshelton33

Staff
Jun 16, 2021
I'm glad you got the chance to get the 4 F's after the formal presser, because I was not awed by what I heard to that point. I got the sense that he isn't really into formal presentations, that he is more of a schmoozer and likes informal person to person interaction. His best remarks the whole day were about his two sons, one who after seeing the football game lakeside asked if they were going to get a boat, and the other who after seeing the campus and facilities said, if they can get a nice house maybe he'll move in his senior (?) year of high school.

Frankly, I thought Gragg gave a better acceptance speech that Jackson. Shows how little speeches mean and how important what a person does day in day out. Time will tell if Jackson is a great Power 4 AD.

Last edited:
These days there is another F that trumps the rest: FUND$.

Perhaps his NFL time will be his most meaningful preparation for the NIL era. The future is going to be so radically different from the recent past that prior AD experience will be about as useful as conducting a steam locomotive prior to taking a job at NASA.

Reactions: stowbilly

@lou v was at Northwestern today for the press conference announcing the hire of new athletic director Mark Jackson. Check out his column on what Jackson had to say and his vision for the future of Northwestern Athletics.
I thought Mark Jackson is a former NBA player.

Who’s the boring, stiff old white guy in this article?

I thought Mark Jackson is a former NBA player.

Who’s the boring, stiff old white guy in this article?
No, this is the football board. Mark Jackson caught the touchdown from Elway to end The Drive.

Beyond the “what’s more fun than that?” comment, was there anything about athletic culture and developing students mentioned?

Considering that a large reason he’s here is the Gragg-abetted disasters in baseball and football, I would hope that was at least a little of the discussion?

What “our goal is to maximize revenue” lacks in inspiration, it makes up for truthfulness. (Maybe Oasis can open the new Ryan Field!)

For what it’s worth, Wikipedia tells me that Jackson coached one year under Belichick, in New England while Tom Brady was at Michigan (54-51).

Just win baby. Go Cats Go Cats Go

He sees the new stadium as an enhanced revenue generator. So tickets may be even higher than what was mentioned in that questionnaire the athletic department sent to season ticket holders a few years back.

Listened to his interview on the Big Ten Network. Doesn't seem that bright? Was looking to be impressed but seems like a dud.
He makes Gragg & Schill look smart. Win-win-win.

I remain steadfast in my belief that we could pick any random Wildcat Report poster with at least 1K posts & the bare minimum of social skills and they would do a better job than our last two ADs.

He sees the new stadium as an enhanced revenue generator. So tickets may be even higher than what was mentioned in that questionnaire the athletic department sent to season ticket holders a few years back.
That’s primarily what it is!!

If they can more than double ticket prices for a “high school” style stadium with its pretty views of the lake but compromised sight lines of the game, prices at its elite, fan-friendly new venue will be out of this world.

(I was listening to Dave and Ted on Saturday when the NU offense was at the north goal. Dave had trouble calling the action down there and Ted said it was because they had a bad perspective from where they were sitting on the south end of press row. Dave quickly corrected him that they did not have a “bad” view but a “different” view. Mr. Catpaganda.)

But games are only a small trickle of the new stream. Get ready for a plethora of paid events, headlined by many concerts, large and small.

It’s all about the bucks.

Reactions: 2388bb and fcmchi
I encourage people to watch his press conference. His reputation is strong, he seems to understand where college sports are headed, and I think he looks like a BIG upgrade in this critical position. From key folks I’ve spoken to, the department is thrilled, and coaches are very happy. Time will tell, but I’m thinking this was a very good hire.

One of his goals is to maximize revenue from the new Ryan Field. I truly hope he can do this within the limits imposed by Evanston. My concern remains that the renderings of the stadium’s playing surface suggest that it is not big enough to support international soccer and rugby. The 2031 Rugby World Cup will be in the United States and a 30K stadium would be ideal for some of the pool games. I know there are limits on concerts but maybe “games” circumvent Evanston’s regulations

Reactions: zeek55
I encourage people to watch his press conference. His reputation is strong, he seems to understand where college sports are headed, and I think he looks like a BIG upgrade in this critical position. From key folks I’ve spoken to, the department is thrilled, and coaches are very happy. Time will tell, but I’m thinking this was a very good hire.

I think this is an exceptional hire because like you, I think he understands where college athletics is headed.

I loved hearing him talk about using RF to the maximum and to be creative with it and try to have as many events (within the Evanston limitations). Saw that reported from the press pool he did after...

But beyond that, the most important thing is to understand that we will be competing with schools that are paying players huge amounts of money and to bring in the talent that we'll need moving forwards, we'll have to as well. So the revenue/financial side and understanding that is where he has to be aggressive (and given what he's said, we can expect that).

The old era of amateur athletics is done. It's over, players expect to get a cut of the revenue and will moving forwards. The new era of professional athletics is here, and we have to be able to prove that we belong in the conversation here especially as a Big Ten school.

It's why getting RF rebuilt was so important right now; we have to get that final major facilities piece out of the way so that financially the decks are cleared to focus on NIL and competing financially on that.

Given he's from Villanova, I have 0 doubt he understands how important the money sports (FB/MBB and WBB to a lesser extent) are.

Last edited:
I can’t tell when he is on vacation or on his monthly suspension from the free board!
I really wish Turk would reappear. I am not sure he was an NU grad but supported the Cats financially and in spirit. I believe he has relocated to Florida and may not show up at Uber 's TG anymore. He was pilloried on this board but was simply a frustrated NU fan , like many of us.

Glades was a stalwart on the RANT board but now only occasionally posts on the regular boards.

The Evanston community will fight with tooth and nail to limit additional concerts, so I hope everyone is excited to pay more for their tickets. We saw the way Northwestern bribed 4 aldermen and the mayor to get the stadium approved, despite an overwhelming no vote from the land use commission. I hope you all have savings for seat licenses, luxury boxes, and coerced donations. Revenue generation means extracting more from each of you. Let’s celebrate!

The Evanston community will fight with tooth and nail to limit additional concerts, so I hope everyone is excited to pay more for their tickets. We saw the way Northwestern bribed 4 aldermen and the mayor to get the stadium approved, despite an overwhelming no vote from the land use commission. I hope you all have savings for seat licenses, luxury boxes, and coerced donations. Revenue generation means extracting more from each of you. Let’s celebrate!

You don’t sound overly invested to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Hkjb and NUCat320
I really wish Turk would reappear. I am not sure he was an NU grad but supported the Cats financially and in spirit. I believe he has relocated to Florida and may not show up at Uber 's TG anymore. He was pilloried on this board but was simply a frustrated NU fan , like many of us.

Glades was a stalwart on the RANT board but now only occasionally posts on the regular boards.
Turk angered the board sticklers with his MrWickerpark shenanigans.

Frankly that was some of the funniest stuff on this board - ever.

Northwestern football hasn’t been fun for many years, and neither is this message board lately without the rant board or spicier posters like Turk. Thankfully my “other” B1G (the nearby Rutgahs Scarlet Knights) allow the fans, players, and posters to spice it up!

Go Cats! Go Knights! Go Irish! Meow.

Reactions: IGNORE2
The RANT board disappeared because of the personal attacks and insults of just a few posters. The RANT board is gone but the primary offenders that led to its' demise are still here. I was exposed to a lot of different opinions-accepted some and rejected others but at least I had that choice.

It will be both the high fees for football and many additional concerts. It may take time to break down the opposition but Wrigleyville was once opposed to such things and now they allow even Def Leppard to play there.

Reactions: Hkjb
Needing to bribe a city to approve an $800 mil improvement on a preexisting facility that is a significant part of its history, heart and soul, if true, is a disgusting reflection on its leadership, politics and citizens. That stadium, other than the legitimate concerns relative to excess uses, noise and aesthetics, should have been approved by voice vote in a nanosecond.

Reactions: Hkjb
Needing to bribe a city to approve an $800 mil improvement on a preexisting facility that is a significant part of its history, heart and soul, if true, is a disgusting reflection on its leadership, politics and citizens. That stadium, other than the legitimate concerns relative to excess uses, noise and aesthetics, should have been approved by voice vote in a nanosecond.
Ahem, it was not an improvement on a preexisting facility. It was the complete destruction of an existing facility and the construction of a new one to serve, purportedly, the same purpose. While I am not at the forefront of the modern environmental crusade, I would just note that expending energy and resource to destroy a football stadium only to build a new one is not likely to hasten the goals of Evanston’s Climate Action and Resilience Plan, whatever that actually is. Maybe bribes were required to distract from such goals.

Lol. Welcome to how things get done in big cities.

Northwestern is happy to pay and grease the wheels with city officials or politicians when needed just like anyone else.

The city of Evanston has great financial challenges. School district 65 has heavy debt. Lots of boarded up storefronts still exist here. They need a new, updated police building, etc, etc. Note how the aldermen were quickly all in favor of the temporary stadium (they could see all that tax money disappearing for two years). If you want to attract fans in a competitive sports market with a team unlikely to win big, you have to offer up a great experience. There will still be reasonably priced tickets in the new stadium, but maybe you attract some new fans in an affluent area with some bells and whistles. Frankly, the city would be nuts not to take advantage of this new facility, but that will be up to its leaders.

I can’t tell when he is on vacation or on his monthly suspension from the free board!
Bob hasn't been suspended since January 2023.

I really wish Turk would reappear. I am not sure he was an NU grad but supported the Cats financially and in spirit.
The RANT board disappeared because of the personal attacks and insults of just a few posters. The RANT board is gone but the primary offenders that led to its' demise are still here. I was exposed to a lot of different opinions-accepted some and rejected others but at least I had that choice.
Turk was permanently banned by Floridalum, and it was Jerry's call to remove the Rant board as well given the challenges in moderating it.

• Sad

Northwestern football hasn’t been fun for many years, and neither is this message board lately without the rant board or spicier posters like Turk. Thankfully my “other” B1G (the nearby Rutgahs Scarlet Knights) allow the fans, players, and posters to spice it up!

Bring back the rant board.

I bet Rivals got threatened with lawsuits or something.

As long as shakes, wrassler Bob, @IGNORE2 and MrWickerPark are on their best behavior, and the rest of us are adults, then the RB will be OK
The list of names above does not include the primary offenders of the the boards guidelines

Usually pretty boring. Says alot when MBB is more fun than this mausoleum.

The city of Evanston has great financial challenges. School district 65 has heavy debt. Lots of boarded up storefronts still exist here. They need a new, updated police building, etc, etc. Note how the aldermen were quickly all in favor of the temporary stadium (they could see all that tax money disappearing for two years). If you want to attract fans in a competitive sports market with a team unlikely to win big, you have to offer up a great experience. There will still be reasonably priced tickets in the new stadium, but maybe you attract some new fans in an affluent area with some bells and whistles. Frankly, the city would be nuts not to take advantage of this new facility, but that will be up to its leaders.
You forgot about those reparation payments.

The list of names above does not include the primary offenders of the the boards guidelines
Yup - but I think the solution is to put the rant behind the paywall. And publish some simple guidelines including typical punishments.

Usually pretty boring. Says alot when MBB is more fun than this mausoleum.
MBB is naturally a more fun sport to watch than football.

Going to a Northwestern March Madness game is incredible. I highly recommend it. CCC, his staff, and players have earned their paychecks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT