ADVERTISEMENT

The reality ... back to an earlier post this week

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
I love this team, but 12-6 in the BIG is a pipe dream. DePaul showed us that we will have trouble rebounding and scoring inside against big bodied teams. Benson's lack of development and Falzon's regression from his rookie season leaves us very thin. We will live and die with Scottie and Law being hot from three. And Law chasing around opponent's best player means he will need rest and could be tired late in close games when you need your shooting legs. I'm just going to enjoy a competitive team and cool it with the expectations.

If Catreporter doesn't mind, I'd like to bring this back to the top again because I think this is one of the more accurate assessments of the year. I'd also add that either BMac or Pardon need to reach their average ppg. along with the Law/Lindsey equation. Without one of the three against a good team (not DePaul) ... well, we've seen the result a couple times this year.

Your guess is as good as mine where we get any defense. One strategy I'd suggest is never playing Lindsey and Falzon at the same time. When Lindsey is in there, Skelly plays. For Falzon ... Ash/Brown.

But in the end, I'm not sure that's going to make much of a difference for an incredibly poor defense.

Reactions: Figrating
If Catreporter doesn't mind, I'd like to bring this back to the top again because I think this is one of the more accurate assessments of the year. I'd also add that either BMac or Pardon need to reach their average ppg. along with the Law/Lindsey equation. Without one of the three against a good team (not DePaul) ... well, we've seen the result a couple times this year.

Your guess is as good as mine where we get any defense. One strategy I'd suggest is never playing Lindsey and Falzon at the same time. When Lindsey is in there, Skelly plays. For Falzon ... Ash/Brown.

But in the end, I'm not sure that's going to make much of a difference for an incredibly poor defense.
Agree with what you said. The issue with Skelly is he is a foul magnet. His minutes seem to be self-limited by the ticky-tack fouls he commits as a 4th year senior. Hard to imagine his getting 30 minutes a game on a consistent basis, which is about what Scottie needs to play for NU to "easily" win 12 B1G games this season.

Which begs the question...what happened to the defense?

Our defense last year was the relatively unsung hero. I know that, given our history, that makes LAST year's defense the anomaly, not this year's. But it was better. Lumpkin was seriously under appreciated by some here for his contributions. We clearly miss him. But there's more. This year we've played better defense when we've worked hard, and we don't always work hard.

What else is it? Was Pat Baldwin a key element? What else you got?

If Skelly would keep his hands above his shoulders on defense he'd cut his fouls in half. All the stupid reach-ins are begging officials to blow the whistle.

I think Catreporter's advice to sit back and watch a competitive team is wise. I'd quibble about some of his player assessment. Benson is better...not hugely, but better. I like Falzon's shooting better this year. It's a bit more selective, more confident and the percentage is now getting to where it needs to be. His other numbers are down and I attribute that to physical issues.

I don't know that to say about the D except that seniors are supposed to want it. That desire is supposed to inspire the other players. Not seeing that to the level of last year or other years, frankly.

Which begs the question...what happened to the defense?

... Lumpkin was seriously under appreciated by some here for his contributions. We clearly miss him. But there's more. This year we've played better defense when we've worked hard, and we don't always work hard.

What else is it? Was Pat Baldwin a key element? What else you got?

I wish I had more answers.

I've said several times I didn't find Lumpkin as valuable as many. I just have no use for one-way players.

With that said, he's obviously missed on defense, however, I think that's too easy an explanation for the total problems of this team this year. My guess is that the equation this year was suppose to be improved offense to make up for some of that lost defense. Obviously, that's not there.

Also, I wonder if the staff was depending more on Skelly's defense to make up for just a little of the Lumpkin factor.

Lastly, I'm not sure Lindsey's defense was this bad last year ... when he was playing. That might be something I'd start looking at if I were the staff.

In the end, when you have BMac, Falzon and Lindsey out there together, you can't ask Law and Pardon to do it all on defense.

If Skelly would keep his hands above his shoulders on defense he'd cut his fouls in half. All the stupid reach-ins are begging officials to blow the whistle.

I think Catreporter's advice to sit back and watch a competitive team is wise. I'd quibble about some of his player assessment. Benson is better...not hugely, but better. I like Falzon's shooting better this year. It's a bit more selective, more confident and the percentage is now getting to where it needs to be. His other numbers are down and I attribute that to physical issues.

I don't know that to say about the D except that seniors are supposed to want it. That desire is supposed to inspire the other players. Not seeing that to the level of last year or other years, frankly.
Bench Scottie? Perhaps

For whatever it is worth, I am generally uncomfortable with the "lack of effort" analysis. I have no idea about the individual efforts of the players (other than knowing they are giving a lot to us). I don't know what execution Coach Collins is asking of the players and / or what players have little dings that prevent them from appearing to hustle at 100% full-go. Smithee, this is certainly not meant as a personal knock at all...just wanted to pass along that I am uncomfortable with that assessment unless someone truly in the know suggests that is happening. Go 'Cats!

Reactions: catfans5
For whatever it is worth, I am generally uncomfortable with the "lack of effort" analysis. I have no idea about the individual efforts of the players (other than knowing they are giving a lot to us). I don't know what execution Coach Collins is asking of the players and / or what players have little dings that prevent them from appearing to hustle at 100% full-go. Smithee, this is certainly not meant as a personal knock at all...just wanted to pass along that I am uncomfortable with that assessment unless someone truly in the know suggests that is happening. Go 'Cats!
I accept your discomfort and am ok with it. I said nothing excessive and feel strongly that variations in both rebounding and defensive results correlate closely with effort.

Would you guys have stated that 9-3, or even 8-4, would have been a "pipe dream" after a 2-3 start for the football team? Turns out it wasn't.

Teams do improve, and I trust Collins to improve this team. Memba that team that barely beat Chicago state last year? If I recall, they improved just a tad by season''s end. And we already played one of our two most challenging conference games on the ENTIRE schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT