ADVERTISEMENT

The Rock

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Since there was a thread title The Free Board, I thought a thread about experiences on the paid board might be in order. I had not subscribed to The Rock until this spring, and did so with a paid subscription in advance of the promotion, figuring all the work Lou and the gang do deserve recompense as well as recognition. I have enjoyed the content, but have had one unforeseen side effect. I have never spent much time following the recruiting wars, and since this is prime recruiting season, the bulk of the content is understandably devoted to it. In prior years, when someone committed, I would look up there profile, figure where they would fit in, gauge how Fitz was doing by the quality of offers the given player had, and move on. The only recruits I ever really followed were outstanding local players here in NorCal (think Najee Harris or Marshawn Lynch) or players from the conferences my kids’ high schools were in. Now, with all the content on who is going to or not going to make an official visit, I am suffering from a kind of sensory overload. I feel like a guy who has always done his shopping at the corner store and then walks into a megastore. I’ve grown used to trusting Fitz and his staff in recruiting, not worrying about the effort and hubbub that goes into building the team that much. I kind of miss my blissful ignorance, because I rarely had a sense of loss over the players that got away (and went to OSU or Iowa or wherever), only feeling happy over the ones who chose NU.
I will get over it, I guess.

Two things at play here:
1) We do not always account for the psychic costs of excess information, especially when said information is of poor quality or irrelevant
2) Our minds can easily reframe gains as losses. Most humans are risk and loss averse. Most humans will weight the 50% chance to lose $5 more than the 50% chance to win $5 in a simple coin flip game. So we overweight the ones that get away (especially to Stanford and Notre Dame).

Take it easy. Don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy...

Reactions: drewjin
I also post there. I don’t really know football, but I have meditated in a hyperbaric yurt atop Mount Ararat next to Noah’s Ark, and have achieved total consciousness.
You passed a kidney stone on the way up Mount Ararat, and that's how you achieved total consciousness? Wow! Can I buy you lunch at the Noah's Starbuck's?

Much more valuable info since McCall left...

Did Fitz really give Lou the plays when McCall was here, or did LouV just guess correctly run up the gut, bubble screen, pass on 3rd and long every week like the rest of us?

Did Fitz really give Lou the plays when McCall was here, or did LouV just guess correctly run up the gut, bubble screen, pass on 3rd and long every week like the rest of us?
Did you seriously leave out the slow developing wide run that always gets stuffed? Usually around the 3 yard line?

Re the Rock, I did the free sign up thing, and I have sensory overload. TMI.

Did you seriously leave out the slow developing wide run that always gets stuffed? Usually around the 3 yard line?

Re the Rock, I did the free sign up thing, and I have sensory overload. TMI.
First and goal inside OSU's 5 yard line to win the game in Columbus a few years ago-deja vu

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT