ADVERTISEMENT

There will be some drama this official visit weekend at NU

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
It's the final official visit of the weekend of the year for Northwestern, and while it won't be the 17-visitor party the Wildcats threw last week, with just one scholarship slot left, there will be some drama around who becomes the final member of the Wildcats' Class of 2015.

There are two safeties vying for that last scholarship. One, Trae Williams, who became a Wildcat shortly after returning from Evanston.

So let's take a look at the two players in contention for that coveted last scholarship.

Williams, a two-star prospect from Houston (Texas) Jersey Village, would likely be the Wildcats' first choice among the two. There's a reason he was offered before Reese and that he was the first one of the pair to take an official visit.

However, he opted not to commit since last Friday and is taking an official to SMU this weekend, as scheduled. Despite telling WildcatReport that he wanted to commit while in Evanston, he opted to wait and see what the Mustangs had to offer so that he could use it as a basis of comparison. That's certainly a prudent move, but it could end up costing him his scholarship at Northwestern.

When contacted yesterday, Williams said that he is well aware that Reese is coming in for his official to Northwestern. He said he is feeling some pressure "to an extent" to make a decision quickly, but he is still willing to wait things out.

"(I'm) probably deciding Sunday night if not Monday for sure," he texted. "Just want an opportunity to see what SMU brings to the table."

SMU has a new coach in Chad Morris, who is taking over a program that finished 1-11 in 2014.

Williams mentioned last week that if he doesn't get the same positive feeling at SMU that he did at Northwestern, he could wind up committing to the Wildcats while on SMU's campus in Dallas. It might take that type of expediency to be sure he has a spot in Evanston.

If Williams waits too long, Reese could be primed to swoop in and take the final scholarship. He called Northwestern his "No. 1 school" on Wednesday, and WildcatReport got the feeling that the unranked prospect would pull the trigger if he finds the family atmosphere he's looking for in Evanston. The 6-foot-2, 190-pounder from Buford (Ga.) said he may or may not take an official visit next weekend to Virginia, the school that he listed as his No. 2 and the only other Power Five school on his offer list. It's clear that Northwestern will have the first shot at securing his verbal and that the Cavaliers are only a back-up plan.

So who will get the last spot? If I had to bet, my money would be on Reese. Williams knew the risks and still postponed making a decision, so there still has to be some doubt. I got the feeling that Reese won't hesitate if he likes what he sees this weekend.

This post was edited on 1/23 11:02 AM by Lou V

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News