ADVERTISEMENT

This program isn't the fast track program to the NFL

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
I know the pollyannas will say that the NFL scouts are prejudice or that NU just isn't political enough to send players into the NFL draft rounds, but the truth remains, we simply don't recruit the "Top Players". While Fitz needs to do a better job at recruiting or at least resemble Gary's strong classes, let's give Fitz credit because he gets 100% out of the talent our players have.

This NFL draft once again proved that this is the program of NFL "Free Agents". Guys that we thought were studs like Dickerson, Godwin, JJ, Lancaster are journeymen at the next level.

It hoodwinks even me because I believe each of those players are NFL ready. I don't know much though as I'm not paid the big bucks like the talent evaluators and draft scouts whose livelihood depends upon it.

Kudos to Fitz for getting the most out of decent but not great recruits.

Whatever the case, we better get that facility built and functional quickly cuz other programs like Michigan just point to the NFL draft and try to break the dream of kids.

Reactions: ChappyCat
I know the pollyannas will say that the NFL scouts are prejudice or that NU just isn't political enough to send players into the NFL draft rounds, but the truth remains, we simply don't recruit the "Top Players". While Fitz needs to do a better job at recruiting or at least resemble Gary's strong classes, let's give Fitz credit because he gets 100% out of the talent our players have.

This NFL draft once again proved that this is the program of NFL "Free Agents". Guys that we thought were studs like Dickerson, Godwin, JJ, Lancaster are journeymen at the next level.

It hoodwinks even me because I believe each of those players are NFL ready. I don't know much though as I'm not paid the big bucks like the talent evaluators and draft scouts whose livelihood depends upon it.

You've already predicted the NFL futures of these players? Lol.

So if Fitz gets 100% out of not great recruits, why is this program not the fast track to the NFL? Seems like if someone achieves more with less, and then you give him more, he'll achieve even more than previously, no?

You've already predicted the NFL futures of these players? Lol.
No, I didn't predict anything. I just mentioned some facts that these kids simply don't have the talent necessary according to those experts who get paid to evaluate talent. I'm not an expert. Obviously, I think each of these should have been drafted but I have purple glasses and it's not my livelihood on the line. I don't have the answers but I have to believe that the talent just isn't there for our players to continually not get drafted high. Either that or our coaches have few NFL connections to talk a kid up. Dunno. I just find it bizarre and I could have sworn that Lancaster would be a 5th rounder and that Dickerson would be solid enough to get drafted.

So if Fitz gets 100% out of not great recruits, why is this program not the fast track to the NFL? Seems like if someone achieves more with less, and then you give him more, he'll achieve even more than previously, no?
Sure. Why not? Hopefully, we start getting "Top Talent" on a consistent basis. I don't have the answers though. Guys like Dickerson had talent and were also solid. Maybe he just doesn't fit the current NFL Template. It's all about the combine. Cripes, we had a fullback that Barnett never let see the field. Dude was a 1AA from Evansville and came to NU after Evansville closed their football program. I think he caught one pass. But he blew away the 40 at the combine and was a 3rd round pick for the Giants. He made the team but blew out his knee.

Sure. Why not? Hopefully, we start getting "Top Talent" on a consistent basis. I don't have the answers though. Guys like Dickerson had talent and were also solid. Maybe he just doesn't fit the current NFL Template. It's all about the combine. Cripes, we had a fullback that Barnett never let see the field. Dude was a 1AA from Evansville and came to NU after Evansville closed their football program. I think he caught one pass. But he blew away the 40 at the combine and was a 3rd round pick for the Giants. He made the team but blew out his knee.
I believe in our staff in terms of development. I do think that we need to take the next step in terms of pure talent recruiting.

Don't think the talent under saint Gary was all that NFL worthy either.

Facts are not your strong suit.

No, I didn't predict anything. I just mentioned some facts that these kids simply don't have the talent necessary according to those experts who get paid to evaluate talent. I'm not an expert. Obviously, I think each of these should have been drafted but I have purple glasses and it's not my livelihood on the line. I don't have the answers but I have to believe that the talent just isn't there for our players to continually not get drafted high. Either that or our coaches have few NFL connections to talk a kid up. Dunno. I just find it bizarre and I could have sworn that Lancaster would be a 5th rounder and that Dickerson would be solid enough to get drafted.
Do your purple glasses make you a Pollyanna?

Whatever the case, we better get that facility built and functional quickly cuz other programs like Michigan just point to the NFL draft and try to break the dream of kids.
Turk, all five of our guys will be playing on sundays

So is your point that these guys would have been drafted higher had they played at another program or Fitzgerald needs to recruit players that are better than these guys? If you think NFL teams are drafting kids based on connections and “politics” you are nuts, there are unknown kids drafted from colleges no one has even heard of all over the place. Is the talent will translate to the NFL, the NFL will find you.

So is your point that these guys would have been drafted higher had they played at another program or Fitzgerald needs to recruit players that are better than these guys? If you think NFL teams are drafting kids based on connections and “politics” you are nuts, there are unknown kids drafted from colleges no one has even heard of all over the place. Is the talent will translate to the NFL, the NFL will find you.

True. There are two guys from Shippensburg University, where I went as an undergrad, playing in the NFL. I assure you they don't get quite the coverage that Northwestern does.

True. There are two guys from Shippensburg University, where I went as an undergrad, playing in the NFL. I assure you they don't get quite the coverage that Northwestern does.
Same with the players from Fordham and Wagner. They're not covered except at their local level. And they were found. And then there are the UDFA's who make everyone stop and think how they were "missed" by the experts. There is only 256 slots to be drafted. And the NFL is filled with UDFA's playing on Sundays and drafted players at home on the couch. And how did Orlando Brown with his poor combine numbers get drafted in the 3rd round, and Lanny an UDFA?" Only time will tell.

Same with the players from Fordham and Wagner. They're not covered except at their local level. And they were found. And then there are the UDFA's who make everyone stop and think how they were "missed" by the experts. There is only 256 slots to be drafted. And the NFL is filled with UDFA's playing on Sundays and drafted players at home on the couch. And how did Orlando Brown with his poor combine numbers get drafted in the 3rd round, and Lanny an UDFA?" Only time will tell.
About a quarter of the league is UDFA’s. Look at the Patriots - their dynasty is built on UDFA’s and small school draft picks...and a QB from Michigan.

I don't normally agree with Turk, but this draft was pretty depressing. This was one of our top recruiting classes five years ago and it produced one 7th round draft choice. Now... Clayton is also a part of that class and I hope he recovers and gets drafted, but otherwise, this was a pretty disappointing showing. Recruiting must improve if we want this program to seriously compete for championships.

Reactions: willycat
Here's the list of colleges most represented on 2017 NFL Opening Day rosters. LSU had the most at 51. Northwestern had 12.

Top Ten (B1G in Blue)
Louisiana State 51
Florida 45
Southern California 45
Alabama 44
Miami (Fl.) 44
Ohio State 42
Florida State 40
Clemson 38
Georgia 38
Michigan 35

Other programs of note:
Wisconsin 32
Notre Dame 31
Penn State 30
Michigan State 29

Stanford 28

Nebraska 27

Iowa 26
Illinois 17
Rutgers 16

Boston College 15

Maryland 12
Northwestern 12

Purdue 12
Central Michigan 11
Vanderbilt 11

Duke 10
Minnesota 10
Harvard 9
Indiana 9
Rice 8

Illinois State 7
Western Michigan 7
Pennsylvania 3
Brown 2
Eastern Illinois 2

Southern Illinois 2
Cornell 1
Holy Cross 1
Incarnate World (Tex.) 1
Ouachita Baptist 1

Princeton 1
Red Lion Christian Academy 1
Western Illinois 1

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...most-represented-2017-nfl-opening-day-rosters

I don't normally agree with Turk, but this draft was pretty depressing. This was one of our top recruiting classes five years ago and it produced one 7th round draft choice. Now... Clayton is also a part of that class and I hope he recovers and gets drafted, but otherwise, this was a pretty disappointing showing. Recruiting must improve if we want this program to seriously compete for championships.

27 wins, including two bowl game wins, in three years. Yes, I agree. Depressing.

Reactions: NU Houston

We knew that.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Being good at college football is not an automatic equivalent for being a future nfl player. A better evaluation would be all-Americans or all-big ten player. To Turks point (maybe?) above, would you rather have Sean Bennett on your team or Tyrell Sutton or Jason Wright or Jackson?

Does anyone know offhand, and I don’t have time today to do the research myself, how many draft picks in this year’s draft were offered by NU? It’s one thing to talk about our lack of top draft picks as an indication of our inability to close on commits of top talent (as I’ve believed). It’s another, when looking at the draft boards, to see how many of these guys we even were able to offer.

I know we can look at the Rivals lists and see all the kids we’ve offered who choose to go elsewhere. By the current rankings, you have to go down to the 36th ranked player we’ve offered to find an NU commitment. To me this has indicated that EVEN with our small recruiting base due to academic restrictions, we are not landing the top rated kids (who not coincidentally have the largest number of competitive P5 offers).

But has this held true with those who are eventually drafted this year? Meaning that we were able to offer a significant number of high draft picks and just couldn’t land them, or we largely couldn’t even offer.

Consider them as the next level's walkons. Plenty of walkons got onto teams and excelled enough to get drafted and plenty of UDFA play on Sundays.

Does anyone know offhand, and I don’t have time today to do the research myself, how many draft picks in this year’s draft were offered by NU? It’s one thing to talk about our lack of top draft picks as an indication of our inability to close on commits of top talent (as I’ve believed). It’s another, when looking at the draft boards, to see how many of these guys we even were able to offer.

I know we can look at the Rivals lists and see all the kids we’ve offered who choose to go elsewhere. By the current rankings, you have to go down to the 36th ranked player we’ve offered to find an NU commitment. To me this has indicated that EVEN with our small recruiting base due to academic restrictions, we are not landing the top rated kids (who not coincidentally have the largest number of competitive P5 offers).

But has this held true with those who are eventually drafted this year? Meaning that we were able to offer a significant number of high draft picks and just couldn’t land them, or we largely couldn’t even offer.
So Jackson wasn’t a quality recruit because he wasn’t a high draft pick? College football is different than nfl football. Evaluating recruiting and/or player development based on draft position does not make sense to me.

Reactions: StreamCat
gee. I'm surprised that those scouts don't listen t what Cushing has to say.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Heck, think I saw a gut from Ill. St. drafted ahead of any NU player. At least that makes our loss to the Redbirds a bit easier to take.

Not sure but think I saw a Kid from Vanderbilt who went pretty high and also a guy from Tulane. Don't know if NU offered but it doesn't look like that grade problems.

Not sure but think I saw a Kid from Vanderbilt who went pretty high and also a guy from Tulane. Don't know if NU offered but it doesn't look like that grade problems.

You think Tulane has academic requirements? BAHAHAHA

Being good at college football is not an automatic equivalent for being a future nfl player. A better evaluation would be all-Americans or all-big ten player. To Turks point (maybe?) above, would you rather have Sean Bennett on your team or Tyrell Sutton or Jason Wright or Jackson?
I think it is a combo of borderline talent that isn't too far away from being drafted, but also politics. I think Dickerson, JJ, Godwin, Lancaster all start on OSU and if they did, they would all be mid range draft choices or higher.

The Big ten does us no favors either. The BTN is biased against NU. And the Big ten coaches always give a extra push for the established tradition programs when voting on all Big Ten. Consider Zach Strief. He wasn't even All Big 10 but he made first team All American. Voted the best tackle in the entire nation but snubbed by the Big10 and then the NFL notables. Squeezing in as a first team All American in the 7th round of the draft.

All of us knew Zach would have a long NFL career. Just like I'd be shocked that Dickerson, JJ, Lancaster, Godwin don't make at least a practice squad.

And you guys shouldn't act like this isn't a trend that starts with recruiting and ends with the NFL snub. Some of the upper cloth of recruits we get would be 4 or 5 stars if they verballed in OSU. Often they knock a star off of them when they brand NU on them. Sorry but true.

Those Tulane and Vandy NFL players didn't translate to much on the field. Both teams had losing records each of the last four years and Vanderbilt lost at home 44-21 to the Kentucky team NU later beat in Nashville.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
What player(s) are you actually talking about? Let's review once you know which player from Tulane was drafted and vandy and see if they were dumb as you say.

I’m saying that Tulane has zero academic requirements above and beyond NCAA minimums regardless of any single individual’s academic accomplishments or qualifications. Zero.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT