ADVERTISEMENT

This site is blocked here in China

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Here in E-Cat’s territory of Shanghai today. While checking out the historic Huangpu River’s western shore in the section known as The Bund, our guide mentioned that Secretary of State Blinken had taken over the promenade for his morning jog when recently here ,

In the course of his visit he spoke to a group of NYU students on the topic of people-to-people ties between China and the U.S. Focusing on educational exchanges he noted that the U.S, has maintained over 300,000 Chinese nationals attending our universities while U.S. university students studying in China has dropped from 15,000 to 800.

Following up on that revelation I see that in 2020 Northwestern had a significant 1,500 of those and that China had the most foreign exchange students attending Northwestern.

OK to get back to the topic of this thread I just found out while trying to get to this site via WiFi that it (and all other Yahoo based sites) was blocked! Oddly though when I turn off WiFi and rely solely on data I can get through.

FWIW, the only U,S. News TV channel that is broadcast here is CNN. Surprise. FOX News is not welcome in the People’s Republic - though I found that again using data, access was a go.

Who knew that WildcatReport is viewed as a subversive entity here in China by the CCP? Right up there with Fox.

Last edited:
Here in E-Cat’s territory of Shanghai today. While checking out the historic Huangpu River’s western shore in the section known as The Bund, our guide mentioned that Secretary of State Blinken had taken over the promenade for his morning jog when recently here ,

In the course of his visit he spoke to a group of NYU students on the topic of people-to-people ties between China and the U.S. Focusing on educational exchanges he noted that the U.S, has maintained over 300,00 Chinese nationals attending our universities while U.S. university students studying in China has dropped from 15,000 to 800.

Following up on that revelation I see that in 2020 Northwestern had a significant 1,500 of those and that China had the most foreign exchange students attending Northwestern.

OK to get back to the topic of this thread I just found out while trying to get to this site via WiFi that it (and all other Yahoo based sites) was blocked! Oddly though when I turn off WiFi and rely solely on data I can get through.

FWIW, the only U,S. News TV channel that is broadcast here is CNN. Surprise. FOX News is not welcome in the People’s Republic - though I found that again using data, access was a go.

Who knew that WildcatReport is viewed as a subversive entity here in China by the CCP? Right up there with Fox.
China is scum

In the course of his visit he spoke to a group of NYU students on the topic of people-to-people ties between China and the U.S. Focusing on educational exchanges he noted that the U.S, has maintained over 300,00 Chinese nationals attending our universities while U.S. university students studying in China has dropped from 15,000 to 800.

Cappy is behind this. :)

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

Anything with messaging. Try to send a message through on words with friends and you'll see it doesn't happen. By the way, in addition to Northwestern, I would think China is #1 contributor of foreign students at just about any university in the US, the UK, Australia. It's a big place with lot of people, who spend a lot on education. Enjoy your trip!

By the way, in addition to Northwestern, I would think China is #1 contributor of foreign students at just about any university in the US, the UK, Australia. It's a big place with lot of people, who spend a lot on education. Enjoy your trip!
Good points. Considering how relatively small Northwestern’s student body is, 1,500 Chinese nationals would be a huge percentage - compared to other schools - even adding in our graduate students.

Reactions: Hkjb
I just hope this doesn’t interfere with any moose sighting updates along the Yangtze.
OK, did a little recon. If I sight a Moose along the Yangtze it will be a world first. Looks like I will have a better chance when we make it to the home of the Terracotta Warriors in Northwest China closer to Mongolia.

Reportedly there was a Moose sighting (actually 6 Moose) using infrared cameras in China’s Autonomous Region of Inner Mongolia during the winter of 2015-2016.

By the way eat some Xiao Long Bao soup dumplings. (the soup is inside the dumpling).
It is a Shanghai specialty and pretty much life changing.

OK, did a little recon. If I sight a Moose along the Yangtze it will be a world first. Looks like I will have a better chance when we make it to the home of the Terracotta Warriors in Northwest China closer to Mongolia.

Reportedly there was a Moose sighting (actually 6 Moose) using infrared cameras in China’s Autonomous Region of Inner Mongolia during the winter of 2015-2016.
Not sure you should use the word “recon” in any message while you are there.

Not sure you should use the word “recon” in any message while you are there.
Just operate on the working assumption that anything you write as an American tourist is being tracked by the state. Some folks bring a temporary burner phone rather than their own cell when visiting, which can be smart. Because whatever devices you bring there will inevitably be compromised when you come back.

Sounds like you should have some great sightseeing though, enjoy!

Just operate on the working assumption that anything you write as an American tourist is being tracked by the state. Some folks bring a temporary burner phone rather than their own cell when visiting, which can be smart. Because whatever devices you bring there will inevitably be compromised when you come back.

Sounds like you should have some great sightseeing though, enjoy!
When I was in China, I was allowed to reach internet sites that were blocked to most people but I had to give my passport information identifying me to gain access and knew that they were watching everything I did while online. However, I was able to cross off a bucket list item with a visit to the Great Wall near Beijing and it was very impressive. I’m glad I went when relations were good.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT